Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are the first ones to support interrupts, as our kexts were running in polling mode up until now. Interrupts is superior and the way things are supposed to work when properly configured. In polling mode the driver keeps checking for new data at a fixed interval. Interrupts work the other way around, meaning that when new data become available, the driver is notified about that, thus making this implementation more efficient. This also has added benefits, like *finally* having drag and drop working!
Nice, events then :)
What drag n drop do you mean?
And what about patching questions?
Should I patch anyway, even if those are working without?

As someone mentioned above(or couple of pages backwards), when not using reboot but shut down instead, audio issues will not occur.
I've been using shut down only and had absolutely 0 audio issues since that, even on battery.
Mojave 10.14.5

Nice, events then :)
What drag n drop do you mean?
And what about patching questions?
Should I patch anyway, even if those are working without?
Dragging windows by double tapping on them is what I mean. You can enable it by going into Accesibility settings > Mouse & trackpad > Trackpad options... and enabling dragging ("with no drag lock" is the option I'm using).

As for the patches, yes. The drivers can either work on polling or interrupts mode and-- as fas as I know-- the patches are needed to ensure the second one is used. I myself have verified that with the patches enabled I'm using interrupts. You can always go without patches and have a look at your system log to see if interrupts are used (unlikely).

As someone mentioned above(or couple of pages backwards), when not using reboot but shut down instead, audio issues will not occur.
I've been using shut down only and had absolutely 0 audio issues since that, even on battery.
Mojave 10.14.5
This is very interesting! I'll give it a try and see... if this stays consistently true then maybe we are onto something!

Dragging windows by double tapping on them is what I mean. You can enable it by going into Accesibility settings > Mouse & trackpad > Trackpad options... and enabling dragging ("with no drag lock" is the option I'm using).

As for the patches, yes. The drivers can either work on polling or interrupts mode and-- as fas as I know-- the patches are needed to ensure the second one is used. I myself have verified that with the patches enabled I'm using interrupts. You can always go without patches and have a look at your system log to see if interrupts are used (unlikely).

This is very interesting! I'll give it a try and see... if this stays consistently true then maybe we are onto something!
For me the audio problems are not the only thing that are odd about my build.
On top of the audio problems the system would sometimes straight up not boot after a restart, verbose mode shows, that it is a timeout. I thought that this may be caused by the modded bluetooth and wifi dw1560 card, but I am not sure. The other thing that I experienced is that the audio would not work after sleep as well and the laptops fans would begin to spin. After a clean startup the fans will never spin up while browsing around and sound will work too. My thought on this was that it may have to do with the dGPU causing trouble when disabled and going to sleep, so I tried to activate the dGPU on _PTS and disabled it on _WAK but this is still happening. Maybe someone smarter than me can figure out what is going on.

For me the audio problems are not the only thing that are odd about my build.
On top of the audio problems the system would sometimes straight up not boot after a restart, verbose mode shows, that it is a timeout. I thought that this may be caused by the modded bluetooth and wifi dw1560 card, but I am not sure. The other thing that I experienced is that the audio would not work after sleep as well and the laptops fans would begin to spin. After a clean startup the fans will never spin up while browsing around and sound will work too. My thought on this was that it may have to do with the dGPU causing trouble when disabled and going to sleep, so I tried to activate the dGPU on _PTS and disabled it on _WAK but this is still happening. Maybe someone smarter than me can figure out what is going on.
You should use CodecCommander to get audio working after sleep. Your system not booting up occasionally is probably due to older Lilu + AppleALC kexts. Updating them should take care of that problem (and introduce a new one, booting up to no working audio that is). For your fan issue I have no idea. I've been using my laptop without shutting it down for weeks and have not experienced any problem with sleep.

You should use CodecCommander to get audio working after sleep. Your system not booting up occasionally is probably due to older Lilu + AppleALC kexts. Updating them should take care of that problem (and introduce a new one, booting up to no working audio that is). For your fan issue I have no idea. I've been using my laptop without shutting it down for weeks and have not experienced any problem with sleep.
Thanks! I have updated theese kexts and it seems to work.
When waking up from sleep I also get a black screen, which goes away when I close and open the lid again. Something is off but I can not get behind it.

Thanks! I have updated theese kexts and it seems to work.
When waking up from sleep I also get a black screen, which goes away when I close and open the lid again. Something is off but I can not get behind it.
Check your NVRAM emulation! When installing Clover did you check the "Install RC scripts on this volume" option? You need this one together with EmuVariable to get your NVRAM to work properly. This could affect sleep too.

Check your NVRAM emulation! When installing Clover did you check the "Install RC scripts on this volume" option? You need his one together with EmuVariable to get your NVRAM to work properly. This could affect sleep too.
The NVRAM seems to work, at least the variables that I store with sudo nvram test=1234 stay after reboot.

I'm about to update my BIOS. Did you guys have to repatch the BIOS with AfuWin64 or did you just update BIOS, dumped the new SSDTs and patched them? @stonevil @Sturmkater

1. Updated BIOS with Razer official update tool in Windows.
2. Update removed all my patches and locked back BIOS. So...
2. In Windows dumped BIOS with AfuWin64.
3. In Windows unlocked for DVMT Pre-Allocated graphics and some other options for undervolting with AMIBCP64.
4. Patched back BIOS with AfuWin64 again.
5. In BIOS set correct size for DVMT and my custom undervolting.
6. Boot from macOS Install USB stick.
7. Removed all ACPI patches from EFI drive.
8. Reboot and started from internal NVMe (Samsung EVO 970).
9. In Clover export ACPI with F2/F4
10. Boot in macOS and applied my custom ACPI patches and copy new patches to EFI drive.
11. Reboot

1. Updated BIOS with Razer official update tool in Windows.
2. Update removed all my patches and locked back BIOS. So...
2. In Windows dumped BIOS with AfuWin64.
3. In Windows unlocked for DVMT Pre-Allocated graphics and some other options for undervolting with AMIBCP64.
4. Patched back BIOS with AfuWin64 again.
5. In BIOS set correct size for DVMT and my custom undervolting.
6. Boot from macOS Install USB stick.
7. Removed all ACPI patches from EFI drive.
8. Reboot and started from internal NVMe (Samsung EVO 970).
9. In Clover export ACPI with F2/F4
10. Boot in macOS and applied my custom ACPI patches and copy new patches to EFI drive.
11. Reboot

Awesome, just finished up with it and it worked without an issue. Updated all my kexts as well. AirportBcrmFixup 2.0.0 still causes WiFi not to work and for some reason audio stops working as well. Using version 1.1.9 everything works.

These are the first ones to support interrupts, as our kexts were running in polling mode up until now. Interrupts is superior and the way things are supposed to work when properly configured. In polling mode the driver keeps checking for new data at a fixed interval. Interrupts work the other way around, meaning that when new data become available, the driver is notified about that, thus making this implementation more efficient. This also has added benefits, like *finally* having drag and drop working!

Thanks for keeping us updated! I updated VoodooI2C and did the DSDT edits. It seems to work with interrupts now (at least thats what the kernel log leads me to believe). I was hoping the jumpy mouse pointer thing would be fixed with interrupts but unfortunately that is not the case for me. My mouse pointer is still very jumpy, like its freezing for a short while and then overshooting the point where it should be if that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back