Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is strange... unfortunately I'm only using USB-C for HDMI so I can't really test it... But I'd really love to find a solution for the audio issues we're experiencing. Given that the touchpad will be soon sorted out, I'm pretty sure this is the last we need to get a perfect setup.

Yes the audio issue is one of the last big problems for me as well.. I don't mind not being able to use the 2070 in macOS, if only the one connector for an external display would work properly :D

So I've tried a few different things.. I installed CodecCommander and tried both SSDT-ALC298 and SSDT-ALC298a. Neither did change the missing audio when starting from battery. I didn't test for the sleep audio issue which reportedly is fixed by installing CodecCommander. After restarting from battery a couple of times, it's about a 1 in 3 chance of the audio not working.

The USB-C audio hasn't come back no matter if I boot with the display connected or not. It's so strange and I'm running out of ideas what to look for.

144hz is still not working either. I thought it might be because macOS detected the display settings incorrectly. So I deleted the windowserver plists to reset everything. Didn't work unfortunately. There are a lot of errors visible in the console once I connect the external monitor, but I couldn't find any useful information about them. Also tried some general fixes like the "Display have seperate Spaces" thing in Mission Control and trying different profiles in Color Sync Utility. It might have something to do with the backlight control?

Palm rejection doesn't work at all and it's pretty annoying when typing. Hope it gets sorted out in a future VoodooI2C release.

Attachments

• Display.log.zip
    9.2 KB · Views: 55
Yes the audio issue is one of the last big problems for me as well.. I don't mind not being able to use the 2070 in macOS, if only the one connector for an external display would work properly :D

So I've tried a few different things.. I installed CodecCommander and tried both SSDT-ALC298 and SSDT-ALC298a. Neither did change the missing audio when starting from battery. I didn't test for the sleep audio issue which reportedly is fixed by installing CodecCommander. After restarting from battery a couple of times, it's about a 1 in 3 chance of the audio not working.

The USB-C audio hasn't come back no matter if I boot with the display connected or not. It's so strange and I'm running out of ideas what to look for.

144hz is still not working either. I thought it might be because macOS detected the display settings incorrectly. So I deleted the windowserver plists to reset everything. Didn't work unfortunately. There are a lot of errors visible in the console once I connect the external monitor, but I couldn't find any useful information about them. Also tried some general fixes like the "Display have seperate Spaces" thing in Mission Control and trying different profiles in Color Sync Utility. It might have something to do with the backlight control?

Palm rejection doesn't work at all and it's pretty annoying when typing. Hope it gets sorted out in a future VoodooI2C release.
If the speaker icon is greyed out then CodecCommander can't help. As for VoodooI2C, palm rejection also seems to have been solved with the one I'm testing... It's not 100% perfect, but it's getting quite close! I also switched to VirtualSMC + SMCBatteryManager which also resolves the cursor lag issue we are having.

And now AirPods are working perfectly fine on Mojave. Hmm. Maybe they weren't fully charged, I have no clue at this point...

If the speaker icon is greyed out then CodecCommander can't help. As for VoodooI2C, palm rejection also seems to have been solved with the one I'm testing... It's not 100% perfect, but it's getting quite close! I also switched to VirtualSMC + SMCBatteryManager which also resolves the cursor lag issue we are having.

And now AirPods are working perfectly fine on Mojave. Hmm. Maybe they weren't fully charged, I have no clue at this point...

That is nice to hear! I'll look into VirtualSMC, maybe that'll make the trackpad work a little smoother :)

I think I'm done for the day with the display stuff. Tried adding the con1 and con2 framebuffer patches again, no change. No idea what to try next either. I've been looking up the error messages and it looks like people with real macs have the exact same issue with usbc/dp/external monitors but no obvious solution. USB-C to HDMI seems to work a little smoother, but then again it doesn't work at all for others. Thing is, I'm sure 144hz was working before I updated to 10.14.4 but I don't know how to downgrade easily and honestly it could have been a fluke just like USB-C audio working for a short while.

For reference, the con1 and con2 patches:

Code:
framebuffer-con1-alldata    01050900 00040000 87010000    DATA
framebuffer-con1-enable     1    NUMBER
framebuffer-con2-alldata    02040A00 00040000 87010000    DATA
framebuffer-con2-enable     1    NUMBER

Hi guys,

I bought a Razer Blade 15" 2018 because of this post and because it should be easy. Till now it all was easy to follow, but now I'm stuck. The laptop does not show my USB drives to boot from. I did all the settings accordingly, tried two different drives, tried different Unibeast settings but with no success:(, I even did flash the original rom up again and re-unblock afterward. I tried to format the drive with MBR and GRUB. I can't start from my pen drive.

The wired thing is before I started to follow the tutorial, I could start from my Linux Live USB, now I can't any longer. The USB drive starts well on my old MacBook Pro though. And the blade starts from the Windows recovery USB.

Any ideas?

Hi guys,

I bought a Razer Blade 15" 2018 because of this post and because it should be easy. Till now it all was easy to follow, but now I'm stuck. The laptop does not show my USB drives to boot from. I did all the settings accordingly, tried two different drives, tried different Unibeast settings but with no success:(, I even did flash the original rom up again and re-unblock afterward. I tried to format the drive with MBR and GRUB. I can't start from my pen drive.

The wired thing is before I started to follow the tutorial, I could start from my Linux Live USB, now I can't any longer. The USB drive starts well on my old MacBook Pro though. And the blade starts from the Windows recovery USB.

Any ideas?

Hmm.. Did you try using a different USB port?

Yes, I tried all 3 ports.
Does it show up when you press F12 at startup but selecting it does nothing or it doesn’t even exist as an option there? Can you use the same flash drive to boot the windows installer? Does it work then?

Does it show up when you press F12 at startup but selecting it does nothing or it doesn’t even exist as an option there? Can you use the same flash drive to boot the windows installer? Does it work then?
No, nothing showed up in the startup selection, nor in the boot order. Now with a third stick, I managed to get it recognized. But now I stuck in a blue Clover screen with no option for selecting Install Mac OS. But hey, I'm one step further;-)

No, nothing showed up in the startup selection, nor in the boot order. Now with a third stick, I managed to get it recognized. But now I stuck in a blue Clover screen with no option for selecting Install Mac OS. But hey, I'm one step further;-)
its rly strange. You can try to do usb with win installer and try to load from it. If no - just reset bios settings - it should help anyway.

Would you mind providing a screenshot of the Clover screen you get? The go-to guide for creating a macOS installer with Clover is RehabMan's, found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back