Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
so which builds allows to get access with Nvidia?
The newest and older builds of High Sierra if you want Nvidia functionality. Otherwise, don't both. If you installed the first 3 builds of Mojave, you'd have some functionality, but it's iffy at best.

Anything Nvidia will not work on Mojave, especially the newer builds. The first few early builds of Mojave there was some functionality of the Nvidia card, just a tad glitchy, any newer builds will result in nothing but a black screen.

I'm aware of that, I just wanted to know which guide you followed to get HDMI audio working on the Nvidia card (I figure that's what you meant in the guide by HDMI audio is working?). I know I can't use that card, I want to enable it for the iGPU. I'm trying to follow this guide, but it's a little hard to understand. Most of the work in that guide seems to be done in your config.plist, it's just missing the framebuffter-con2-* vaules as far as I can tell.

The part I'm having trouble with right now is the byte reversal. For example 3EA50009 should equal 0900A53E as per the guide, but if I use a reversal tool such as this one, I get 90005AE3?

Maybe I should have been more clear in my post. I got the USB-C to DP cable to use an external display with the iGPU, since both HDMI and DP ports on the Laptop are connected directly to the Nvidia card, the USB-C port is the only way to connect an external display on Mojave. The display works fine on 1440p@60hz, I just can't run it at 120 oder 144hz. If I choose anything above 60hz in the dropdown menu, the monitor is turining on and off and showing a black screen and no signal. I'm pretty sure I had it running in 144hz mode before I did the 10.14.4 update but I'm not 100% on that.

I'm aware of that, I just wanted to know which guide you followed to get HDMI audio working on the Nvidia card (I figure that's what you meant in the guide by HDMI audio is working?). I know I can't use that card, I want to enable it for the iGPU. I'm trying to follow this guide, but it's a little hard to understand. Most of the work in that guide seems to be done in your config.plist, it's just missing the framebuffter-con2-* vaules as far as I can tell.

The part I'm having trouble with right now is the byte reversal. For example 3EA50009 should equal 0900A53E as per the guide, but if I use a reversal tool such as this one, I get 90005AE3?

Maybe I should have been more clear in my post. I got the USB-C to DP cable to use an external display with the iGPU, since both HDMI and DP ports on the Laptop are connected directly to the Nvidia card, the USB-C port is the only way to connect an external display on Mojave. The display works fine on 1440p@60hz, I just can't run it at 120 oder 144hz. If I choose anything above 60hz in the dropdown menu, the monitor is turining on and off and showing a black screen and no signal. I'm pretty sure I had it running in 144hz mode before I did the 10.14.4 update but I'm not 100% on that.
Have you managed to get 144Hz out of the USB-C on Windows? I was under the impression that the reason our HDMI and DP ports are (thank god) routed directly to the NVIDIA card is exactly that— the fact that the iGPU can’t do anything beyond 60Hz. Not sure though.

Have you managed to get 144Hz out of the USB-C on Windows? I was under the impression that the reason our HDMI and DP ports are (thank god) routed directly to the NVIDIA card is exactly that— the fact that the iGPU can’t do anything beyond 60Hz. Not sure though.

Yes I have and it's working as expected (1440p@144hz). You can also game on it using the dedicated gpu no problem. I think Windows can pass through the video somehow. Not sure how it works exactly, but it does.

With all of the Framebuffer stuff worked out in the provided config.plist as well as running the proper layout-id with the AppleALC kext, there is no other work to be done for audio over HDMI to work, it works natively on High Sierra through the Nvidia card. As far as it working on Mojave through the USB-C port, that's probably a different story. I don't have a USB-C to DP adapter and have never tried to use the USB-C Port for an external display, so I've never been able to test it. I'm pretty sure you're the first one to do so, so it will be a chunk of trouble shooting from here. It's possible that the monitor your using just doesn't like the 144hz refresh rate, or maybe the USB-C to DP adapter isn't compatible with 144hz?

With all of the Framebuffer stuff worked out in the provided config.plist as well as running the proper layout-id with the AppleALC kext, there is no other work to be done for audio over HDMI to work, it works natively on High Sierra through the Nvidia card. As far as it working on Mojave through the USB-C port, that's probably a different story. I don't have a USB-C to DP adapter and have never tried to use the USB-C Port for an external display, so I've never been able to test it. I'm pretty sure you're the first one to do so, so it will be a chunk of trouble shooting from here. It's possible that the monitor your using just doesn't like the 144hz refresh rate, or maybe the USB-C to DP adapter isn't compatible with 144hz?

As far as I can tell I just need to find the right values for:

config.plist > Devices > Properties > PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0)
- framebuffer-con1-flags
- framebuffer-con1-pipe
- framebuffer-con1-type

Type should be 00040000, flags 87010000. Not sure about pipe but I guess 09000000. If I add that to the config the apple blip doesn't appear and it doesn't boot :D

It's honestly a very confusing and tough guide to follow, but I'm getting there (I hope).

About the monitor and adapter: Like I said it works fine in Windows @144hz so that shouldn't be a problem. It's an Asus MG279.

EDIT: I figured it out, but it's not all good news. I've updated all my kexts (been using the one found in this guide) and audio over USB-C is working! Didn't need any extra con1 commands whatsoever. But unfortunately the new versions of Lilu und Whatevergreen are causing the internal audio not to work. It just doesn't show up anymore if you use Lilu 1.3.5 and Whatevergreen 1.2.8. So yeah, not ideal :D

Another thing, WiFi stops working with the new 2.0.0 AirportBrcmFixup kext. No need to update to it really, but I thought I'd mention it.

Edit2: Okay, so now the internal speakers work fine with the latest kexts but the USB-C audio stopped working again. Seems pretty random and I don't know what is causing this.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-04 at 22.46.39.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-04 at 22.46.39.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Screenshot 2019-05-04 at 22.51.27.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-04 at 22.51.27.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
As far as I can tell I just need to find the right values for:

config.plist > Devices > Properties > PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0)
- framebuffer-con1-flags
- framebuffer-con1-pipe
- framebuffer-con1-type

Type should be 00040000, flags 87010000. Not sure about pipe but I guess 09000000. If I add that to the config the apple blip doesn't appear and it doesn't boot :D

It's honestly a very confusing and tough guide to follow, but I'm getting there (I hope).

About the monitor and adapter: Like I said it works fine in Windows @144hz so that shouldn't be a problem. It's an Asus MG279.

EDIT: I figured it out, but it's not all good news. I've updated all my kexts (been using the one found in this guide) and audio over USB-C is working! Didn't need any extra con1 commands whatsoever. But unfortunately the new versions of Lilu und Whatevergreen are causing the internal audio not to work. It just doesn't show up anymore if you use Lilu 1.3.5 and Whatevergreen 1.2.8. So yeah, not ideal :D

Another thing, WiFi stops working with the new 2.0.0 AirportBrcmFixup kext. No need to update to it really, but I thought I'd mention it.

Edit2: Okay, so now the internal speakers work fine with the latest kexts but the USB-C audio stopped working again. Seems pretty random and I don't know what is causing this.
I've been using the latest kexts for quite a while now. Audio is guaranteed to work if you boot while plugged in. I have no idea why this happens though...

Also: try turning TB3 off in BIOS-- you'll probably have to re-patch your DSDT too! I've done so since I don't really intend using it in the near future and got USB-C hot-plugging to work. The behaviour is clearly different, maybe you'll get it working this way.

I've been using the latest kexts for quite a while now. Audio is guaranteed to work if you boot while plugged in. I have no idea why this happens though...

Also: try turning TB3 off in BIOS-- you'll probably have to re-patch your DSDT too! I've done so since I don't really intend using it in the near future and got USB-C hot-plugging to work. The behaviour is clearly different, maybe you'll get it working this way.

Thanks for the tip! It didn't change anything for me unfortunately. It's just so weird to first have USB-C audio working and then stopping for no apparent reason. It hasn't come back in the meantime either, it's back to internal speakers working most of the time but nothing else. When I was testing things yesterday I was running on Battery, so that may explain the flakiness of the internal speakers.

Thanks for the tip! It didn't change anything for me unfortunately. It's just so weird to first have USB-C audio working and then stopping for no apparent reason. It hasn't come back in the meantime either, it's back to internal speakers working most of the time but nothing else. When I was testing things yesterday I was running on Battery, so that may explain the flakiness of the internal speakers.
This is strange... unfortunately I'm only using USB-C for HDMI so I can't really test it... But I'd really love to find a solution for the audio issues we're experiencing. Given that the touchpad will be soon sorted out, I'm pretty sure this is the last we need to get a perfect setup.

Oh, btw: have any of you be experiencing any bluetooth connection issues on Mojave? My AirPods were working perfectly on High Sierra until I decided to upgrade to Mojave... maybe I'll downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back