Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats about SSD - maybe. I've found apple ssd-to-ngff m.2 adapter on aliexpress, but the problem is adapter too fat.

You can always buy an older SATA SSD using the M.2 form factor our laptop supports but it would be a major downgrade speed-wise. This is Apple's fault really, hopefully it will be fixed in the future.

You can always buy an older SATA SSD using the M.2 form factor our laptop supports but it would be a major downgrade speed-wise. This is Apple's fault really, hopefully it will be fixed in the future.
What do you mean? Insert SSD in slot of wi-fi card?

ppl writing, that m2 sata is not compatable with hackintosh

What do you mean? Insert SSD in slot of wi-fi card?
No, replace the M.2 NVMe drive with a SATA one. But it wouldn't really make any sense. As far as I know, there are no compatibility issues neither with our laptop nor with macOS itself. But I'm no expert-- you should definitely do your research.

@vettz500 Great news about our trackpads, there is a (not yet released) version of VoodooI2C that enables GPIO interrupts on Coffee Lake machines. I have it working and currently using it for testing purposes, but I'll make sure to share the DSDT changes I made when it's released.

Last edited:
ppl writing, that m2 sata is not compatable with hackintosh
the Sata M.2 Should work just fine. i have a WD 2TB in my 2019 model and just hackintoshed it and works great.
id rather sacrifice speed of the NVME for the price point and Capacity

No, replace the M.2 NVMe drive with a SATA one. But it wouldn't really make any sense. As far as I know, there are no compatibility issues neither with our laptop nor with macOS itself. But I'm no expert-- you should definitely do your research.

@vettz500 Great news about our trackpads, there is a (not yet released) version of VoodooI2C that enables GPIO interrupts on Coffee Lake machines. I have it working and currently using it for testing purposes, but I'll make sure to share the DSDT changes I made when it's released.

Woah, that's great news about VoodooI2C - I had to remove the kexts since kernel_task and hidd processes were constantly using ~13-25% of CPU until I did...So currently running without a touchpad, which can be a hassle occasionally when on the road...Thanks for sharing!

Some observations I've made while using the laptop with Mojave:
  • The keyboard backlight patch will reset if you boot into Windows and let Synapse do it's thing. So you'll need to run the patch again once back in Mojave.
  • Internal sound won't work occasionally. I have yet to notice a pattern in it, but if the speakers don't work, sound coming through the headphone jack is distorted.
  • I finally got a USB-C to DisplayPort cable in the mail last week and now I'm struggling to make it work at 1440p@144hz. It's working in Windows so it's probably not a faulty cable and I believe it was working at first. Maybe the update to 10.14.4 changed something, not sure. I've updated all my kexts, no change.
  • Audio over (USB-C to) DisplayPort is not working for me. @vettz500: did you enable/configure it for the Nvidia card? Because the guide states that it is working. Might be that I'll just need to follow Intel Framebuffer patching guide, but it'd be nice to know what guide you followed in case I need to undo something.

@unagi: That is great news! By unreleased do you mean you compiled it from source or is it not up on github yet?

I would advise that you use VoltageShift instead. Also keep in mind that our CPU can handle much more than -75mV, I'm at -160mV in Windows with no issues so far. Sounds coming for the PSU should be an isolated event, not having anything to do with macOS or undervolting.

I wanted to undervolt in macOS but haven't done it so far. Have you seen any noticeable battery life improvement? MacOS doesn't have native power management for NVME drives. I'm convinced this is what causes our battery to drain so fast.
No go on VoltageShift. We don't have access to the OC Mailbox, it's locked.

Some observations I've made while using the laptop with Mojave:
  • The keyboard backlight patch will reset if you boot into Windows and let Synapse do it's thing. So you'll need to run the patch again once back in Mojave.
  • Internal sound won't work occasionally. I have yet to notice a pattern in it, but if the speakers don't work, sound coming through the headphone jack is distorted.
  • I finally got a USB-C to DisplayPort cable in the mail last week and now I'm struggling to make it work at 1440p@144hz. It's working in Windows so it's probably not a faulty cable and I believe it was working at first. Maybe the update to 10.14.4 changed something, not sure. I've updated all my kexts, no change.
  • Audio over (USB-C to) DisplayPort is not working for me. @vettz500: did you enable/configure it for the Nvidia card? Because the guide states that it is working. Might be that I'll just need to follow Intel Framebuffer patching guide, but it'd be nice to know what guide you followed in case I need to undo something.

@unagi: That is great news! By unreleased do you mean you compiled it from source or is it not up on github yet?
Anything Nvidia will not work on Mojave, especially the newer builds. The first few early builds of Mojave there was some functionality of the Nvidia card, just a tad glitchy, any newer builds will result in nothing but a black screen.

Anything Nvidia will not work on Mojave, especially the newer builds. The first few early builds of Mojave there was some functionality of the Nvidia card, just a tad glitchy, any newer builds will result in nothing but a black screen.
so which builds allows to get access with Nvidia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back