Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: I got the kexts to work, finally. It seems that the only kext that has actually been updated is the VoodooI2C kext, the Voodoo2CHID kext is the same version.
Been using it for a good half hour now and kernel_task has been holding steady with ram usage (I actually saw it drop at one point) and CPU usage is also down from what it was before with the old kexts. The numbers look like what they were without the trackpad kexts installed. Usually by this point ram usage has been on a steady increase with the old version.

Since they were a bit of a pain to build, I have attached the new trackpad kexts for you guys to test also @protech and @mr-prez

This could be the cherry on top for the guide. If this 100% solves the system crash issue while keeping the trackpad enabled, then I'm calling it good because everything will be 100% working at that point.

Let me know what you guys find with the new trackpad kexts.

Thanks so much for the effort @vettz500 , extremely happy that it solved the problems! :) Will try the kexts right away.

Update: I got the kexts to work, finally. It seems that the only kext that has actually been updated is the VoodooI2C kext, the Voodoo2CHID kext is the same version.
Been using it for a good half hour now and kernel_task has been holding steady with ram usage (I actually saw it drop at one point) and CPU usage is also down from what it was before with the old kexts. The numbers look like what they were without the trackpad kexts installed. Usually by this point ram usage has been on a steady increase with the old version.

Since they were a bit of a pain to build, I have attached the new trackpad kexts for you guys to test also @protech and @mr-prez

This could be the cherry on top for the guide. If this 100% solves the system crash issue while keeping the trackpad enabled, then I'm calling it good because everything will be 100% working at that point.

I won't be able to test for a while. I returned my laptop and plan on getting the 2060 version in a few weeks. If it ends up not being as compatible as I'm betting, I'll return again and go back to the 1060.

It does seem like you've solved the issue though. Now all that's left is those ACPI hangs and the backlight.

I won't be able to test for a while. I returned my laptop and plan on getting the 2060 version in a few weeks. If it ends up not being as compatible as I'm betting, I'll return again and go back to the 1060.

It does seem like you've solved the issue though. Now all that's left is those ACPI hangs and the backlight.

Ever since removing and fixing the trackpad kexts, I haven't had a single boot up with no backlight or any ACPI hangs. It's been solid for me. It's possible these kexts could have been causing the issue, but could also still be an issue. But until it happens again I'm calling it done with this laptop, everything is working as it should now.
Updated guide and files coming shortly.

Ever since removing and fixing the trackpad kexts, I haven't had a single boot up with no backlight or any ACPI hangs. It's been solid for me. It's possible these kexts could have been causing the issue, but could also still be an issue. But until it happens again I'm calling it done with this laptop, everything is working as it should now.
Updated guide and files coming shortly.

That's definitely a good sign. I know before, I might get a hang based on whether or not the power was plugged in or not. I'd also test that just to make sure everything is solid.

That's definitely a good sign. I know before, I might get a hang based on whether or not the power was plugged in or not. I'd also test that just to make sure everything is solid.
Already have done so

Thanks vettz! I was having the same issue as well recently, I'll give the new kext a go and see if it fixes it for me as well. I was going to ping you and let you know you aren't the only one that has had freezes but I've been caught up with classes starting. Glad to see you and @protech were able to figure it out!

My only problems I have left are that I can only boot probably 1/5 times because I'm getting that the IGPU graphics driver can't register with the frame buffer since I upgraded to the latest WEG. I've just been dealing with it because I would rather have working backlight.

And I still get audio distortion out of the aux port at times, has anyone else experienced that? Its like the layout isn't right, but only sometimes. It sounds like the vocals on music and videos aren't loud enough. Speakers are always fine though. This is with the newest AppleALC and layout 29 with the black advanced model.

Thanks vettz! I was having the same issue as well recently, I'll give the new kext a go and see if it fixes it for me as well. I was going to ping you and let you know you aren't the only one that has had freezes but I've been caught up with classes starting. Glad to see you and @protech were able to figure it out!

My only problems I have left are that I can only boot probably 1/5 times because I'm getting that the IGPU graphics driver can't register with the frame buffer since I upgraded to the latest WEG. I've just been dealing with it because I would rather have working backlight.

And I still get audio distortion out of the aux port at times, has anyone else experienced that? Its like the layout isn't right, but only sometimes. It sounds like the vocals on music and videos aren't loud enough. Speakers are always fine though. This is with the newest AppleALC and layout 29 with the black advanced model.

My audio through headphones was messed up but only the first time before restarting. Every time after that has been fine. Are you sure you're using the latest AppleALC kext? That link is here in case you're using the one from this thread.
AppleALC by Acidanthera

Guide has been updated. Everyone that has followed the guide, please see the 1/11/19 Update in the beginning of the guide and follow the instructions.

Test everything with the latest updates in the 1/11/19 guide update and report back. The framebuffer bug should be gone.

As far as the audio goes. It's a bug with AppleALC. It should only happen once in a while. Though the latest update it seems to happen a lot less. Since all of the latest updates I have done to the laptop, I have not had it happen, yet.

My audio through headphones was messed up but only the first time before restarting. Every time after that has been fine. Are you sure you're using the latest AppleALC kext? That link is here in case you're using the one from this thread.
AppleALC by Acidanthera
The one in the thread is the latest version from Acidanthera. It's just a bug in AppleALC. It's a known issue from what I'm aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back