Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I've got Mojave installed I can report that..there's actually been a regression. I patched everything for the backlight fix the first time. Backlight works sometimes, other times not. However I do not have audio at all. The only time I *do* have it is through my TV with a usb-c to HDMI dongle. That's strange because audio over that dongle didn't work in High Sierra. I tried lowering the max DVMT to 128MB but that doesn't seem to do anything.

I'll go over the steps again to make sure I didn't miss anything (although with the way this is set up, Audio should be automatic since we had to install all the kexts). I do remember seeing audio in my System Profile at the beginning before I patched my DSDT and disabled Nvidia. Should it make a difference that I didn't restart between all the patching like the guide says? I didn't think it should.

EDIT: Just restarted with Nvidia enabled and audio....works. It got hung on the first boot with something about promiscuous mode. Hard reset and I'm back in. Going to test a few things and report back.

EDIT 2: So apparently, like before, sleep is completely broken with Nvidia enabled. But that's also the only time audio works now. And when Nvidia is disabled, audio goes, but sleep is semi normal with backlight not working. I will note that I didn't install the Nvidia web drivers. I don't even think I could get those installed on Mojave using the script, but I also didn't try either.

I'm starting to think this has something to do with my newer BIOS given the differences in battery usage during sleep and the DVMT settings. It's only a matter of time before the black version gets updated.

So I contacted Razer and got them to send me the 1.06 BIOS. I'm going to flash it and test it later today and let you know what I find

Make sure you're using the latest version of Apple ALC for proper working audio in Mojave. There is a bug with the previous version that prevented it from working.
If the latest version still doesn't solve your audio issue with the Nvidia card disabled, navigate to System-Library-Extensions and find AppleGFXHDA.kext and rename it to .bak

Post your debug file to here for the black screen issue: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...offeelake-uhd-630.261131/page-44#post-1880347
Alright, going to try that now.
So I contacted Razer and got them to send me the 1.06 BIOS. I'm going to flash it and test it later today and let you know what I find

Sounds good. On one hand, if the issues are replicated we have more work to do. On the other, if it's not I guess I'm an idiot, haha.

Interesting development. Now that i updated to the latest AppleALC.kext and renamed AppleGFXHDA, audio works. But now backlight works as well. Every time so far. But sleep is broken completely. Not even a fail once then work sort of situation. If i let it sit then sleep automatically the screen freezes and needs a hard reset. If i manually tell it to sleep, it sleeps for one second and comes back on to a blank screen, needing a hard reset.

EDIT: Sound and Backlight working every time with Nvidia enabled. Sleep is broken regardless. I think that one's definitely the newer BIOS at work. But at least everything else seems to be working properly!

Last edited:
I'm on 1.06 and sleep was never an issue for me but maybe because I'm running mojave. Haven't booted into mac for awhile because my trackpad decided to stop working suddenly and I haven't had a chance to look into it.

I'm on 1.06 and sleep was never an issue for me but maybe because I'm running mojave. Haven't booted into mac for awhile because my trackpad decided to stop working suddenly and I haven't had a chance to look into it.

I'm on Mojave with 1.06. Did you do the DVMT fix and do you have the latest AppleALC.kext from 13 days ago? Sleep was working for me before AppleALC (only with nvidia disabled) but backlight wasn't working (unless I had nvidia enabled). Now backlight works properly regardless of nvidia but sleep is broken regardless.

I'm on Mojave with 1.06. Did you do the DVMT fix and do you have the latest AppleALC.kext from 13 days ago? Sleep was working for me before AppleALC (only with nvidia disabled) but backlight wasn't working (unless I had nvidia enabled). Now backlight works properly regardless of nvidia but sleep is broken regardless.

I finally found some time to flash the 1.06 BIOS and unlock it. After doing that, repatching my DSDT, since a new BIOS version requires that, then updating my Kexts (AppleALC, Lilu and WhateverGreen have all updated since I last updated them) and rebuilt Kextcache, everything seems to be working as it was before. Sleep, sound, brightness, trackpad (ect).
Every so often I get black screen upon boot up, but that happened before this BIOS. But 95% of my boots were good.

I had an issue with sleep initially, but it was before I patched my DSDT and updated my Kexts. After doing that sleep is back to working normally.

Something to try: Dump a fresh version of your DSDT and disassemble it. Repatch it with all the patches and added into your patched folder. I know it sounds like it won't do anything, but I have had it happen more than once now where something weird happens with my DSDT file after changing a bunch of things and stuff like my Trackpad stopped working or even got random ACPI errors upon boot up that prevented the laptop from booting.

Also note: With the latest version of AppleALC you shouldn't have to rename AppleGFXHDA. If you still have to do so, you should report to the AppleALC thread because it would mean the bug they attempted to solve didn't get fixed.

Repatch your DSDT and see if it takes care of the issue. Also rebuild Kextcache just in case.

Here is the most recent information on the trackpad for base model.
Im not sure if this would work or even how to implement this, maybe you have more info on this.

Your _CRS method is not patched correctly. It should contain this:

Code:
Return (ConcatenateResTemplate (I2CM (I2CX, BADR, SPED), SBFI))

I finally found some time to flash the 1.06 BIOS and unlock it. After doing that, repatching my DSDT, since a new BIOS version requires that, then updating my Kexts (AppleALC, Lilu and WhateverGreen have all updated since I last updated them) and rebuilt Kextcache, everything seems to be working as it was before. Sleep, sound, brightness, trackpad (ect).
Every so often I get black screen upon boot up, but that happened before this BIOS. But 95% of my boots were good.

I had an issue with sleep initially, but it was before I patched my DSDT and updated my Kexts. After doing that sleep is back to working normally.

Something to try: Dump a fresh version of your DSDT and disassemble it. Repatch it with all the patches and added into your patched folder. I know it sounds like it won't do anything, but I have had it happen more than once now where something weird happens with my DSDT file after changing a bunch of things and stuff like my Trackpad stopped working or even got random ACPI errors upon boot up that prevented the laptop from booting.

Also note: With the latest version of AppleALC you shouldn't have to rename AppleGFXHDA. If you still have to do so, you should report to the AppleALC thread because it would mean the bug they attempted to solve didn't get fixed.

Okay so there's definitely something up with my DSDT. I've tried different combinations of my old DSDT/SSDT-Opt10-Tabl and new patched ones and get results all over the place. I've stuck with the newest ones that I've patched after updating Clover. No sleep with Nvidia enabled but that really doesn't matter at this point with no working drivers anyway. With nvidia disabled I have sleep working but i'll alternate between a random hang at boot, booting with no backlight, booting with backlight and booting with a frozen screen a short while after login. Everything else works now, and I definitely *did* have to rename AppleGFXHDA to boot with nvidia enabled at least. I think it didn't matter without nVidia but that's not my main concern, although I did a dump and will post that on the thread.

I think I'm going to see what happens when i boot *without* a patched DSDT. If my logic follows, everything *other* than trackpad and battery should always work. Which would mean that there's something a bit more serious going on if I don't at least get some booting consistency with an unpatched DSDT. Or am I completely wrong here?

Okay so there's definitely something up with my DSDT. I've tried different combinations of my old DSDT/SSDT-Opt10-Tabl and new patched ones and get results all over the place. I've stuck with the newest ones that I've patched after updating Clover. No sleep with Nvidia enabled but that really doesn't matter at this point with no working drivers anyway. With nvidia disabled I have sleep working but i'll alternate between a random hang at boot, booting with no backlight, booting with backlight and booting with a frozen screen a short while after login. Everything else works now, and I definitely *did* have to rename AppleGFXHDA to boot with nvidia enabled at least. I think it didn't matter without nVidia but that's not my main concern, although I did a dump and will post that on the thread.

I think I'm going to see what happens when i boot *without* a patched DSDT. If my logic follows, everything *other* than trackpad and battery should always work. Which would mean that there's something a bit more serious going on if I don't at least get some booting consistency with an unpatched DSDT. Or am I completely wrong here?

If there is something going on with your patched DSDT all you would have to do is reboot and when you get to Clover hit F2 and F4 so it dumps fresh DSDT and SSDT files and then boot back into OSX and disassemble the new files and then repatch your fresh DSDT and add it back into your ACPI Patched folder.

That would take care of any of your DSDT issues that might be causing your sleep issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back