Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the same issue as you before. The problem is related to the DVMT patch, since the BIOS is locked and you can't change it by default. In some laptops the DVMT patch in the config.plist works great, others it doesn't work at all. That was the case with me and is the case for you.

This is something I will update the guide with soon. I'm just making sure the black screen patch is good to go before I do so.

Below are the steps to unlock the part of the BIOS that you need to get into to change the DVMT to 64MB and have it work natively without issue. Unfortunately if you want to go further and have the black screen fix, you will have to do this. There's not really a way around that I'm aware of. It's pretty easy and quick, but you do need Windows installed to make it happen.

First things first:
Boot into OSX with your install Flash Drive
Mount your EFI drive
Navigate to EFI-Clover-ACPI-Patched
Find your patched DSDT file and delete it. If you don't this before unlocking the BIOS, OSX will NOT boot. You will have to dump your DSDT/SSDT files and re-patch. There is no way around this.
Open your config.plist in Plist Editor or XCode
Find: Devices-Properties-PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0)
Delete branch
Download the No DVMT Patch.plist attached from here
Copy and paste the PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0) to Devices-Properties-
Save

Then:
  • Boot into Windows
  • Download Windows Bundle file attached to this.
  • Extract folder named "AfuWin64" and a executable named "AMIBCP64" to the desktop.
  • Open the command prompt
  • Type "cd" press space and drag "AfuWin64" folder in and hit enter
  • Type "afuwinx64 rzr.rom /O" hit enter
  • At this point, go into the AfuWin64 folder, find the rzr.rom and make a backup of it somewhere on your computer. This will be your stock BIOS set up if you ever need to flash back to a locked state.
  • Don't forget to do the step above.
  • Open the rzr.rom file with the AMIBCP64 program
  • Find Chipset / System Agent (SA) configuration and change that it user
  • Save the file
  • Go back to the command prompt and type "afuwinx64 rzr.rom /P /B" and hit enter
  • Reboot your computer and head into the BIOS.
  • Find the DVMT Settings
  • Change it to 64MB

Boot into OSX, re-patch your DSDT and you should be good to go.
you can help me the recover my bios, my system is bricked up now

you can help me the recover my bios, my system is bricked up now
How? If you followed the instructions you shouldn't have had any issues, it's fool proof, just like updating the BIOS.

The only option you have now is to contact Razer and get an RMA to have it repaired or replaced, unless you can somehow get into the BIOS? A little more information would be good to help figure out if you actually bricked or if you just missed a step that's preventing the laptop from booting (such as forgetting to remove the patched DSDT file from EFI-Clover-ACPI-Patched)

@natherox and @Razeriste

Can both of you patch your DSDT with this code? See if your trackpad works with the Elan kext and if it doesn't try the 2CHID kext again.

Code:
into_all method code_regex If\s+\([\\]?_OSI\s+\(\"Windows\s2015\"\)\) replace_matched begin If(LOr(_OSI("Darwin"),_OSI("Windows 2015"))) end;

I can't apply the patch to my DSDT it tells me "1 patch 0 changes 0 reject" and the apply button is not usable.

I also tested the solution in the VoodooI2C Help and Support thread but it doesn't work either. I had to put EmuVariableUefi-64.efi back on because it caused me to be blocked for shutdown and restart.

Attachments

• debug_11800.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
Is anyone else having a jumpy trackpad? Mine works with gestures and everything but is very jumpy (see attached).

Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas! :wave:

Attachments

• debug_806.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
  • Jumpy Trackpad Video.zip
    42.7 MB · Views: 96
Thanks for the guide! I'm thinking about getting the Razer Blade 15 Advanced and have a few questions.
  1. Does HDMI work when using Intel Graphics or only when using Nvidia Graphics?
  2. Does the DisplayPort work? Might be a way to get video output if HDMI is Nvidia only.
  3. If DisplayPort works, does audio over DisplayPort work as well? Or is that even possible with this laptop? (e.g. DisplayPort might be nVidia only and also not support audio.) I'm currently running Mojave on an EliteBook Pro using RehabMan's hot-patching technique and I get audio over my displayport to HDMI adapter, so it's not a new concept, if possible for this machine.
  4. Is thunderbolt working or just USB C?
Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited:
I can't apply the patch to my DSDT it tells me "1 patch 0 changes 0 reject" and the apply button is not usable.

I also tested the solution in the VoodooI2C Help and Support thread but it doesn't work either. I had to put EmuVariableUefi-64.efi back on because it caused me to be blocked for shutdown and restart.

Can you try this instead then:
Back up your current DSDT to your desktop or elsewhere.
Open your currently edited DSDT that's in the patched folder in MaciASL, click on the patch button at the top, when the window opens on the left hand side you'll see a whole list of patch options.
Scroll down to _VoodooI2C-Patches
Click on the [Windows] Windows 10 Patch and then apply it and test.
If it doesn't work, copy and paste your backed up DSDT back to the Patched folder and try again with the Window 8.1, 8 and 7 Patch.
If none of those work you can try and use the GPIO patch, but it more than likely won't do anything.

Remember, you need the original Trackpad patch that you applied using this guide for any of these to work. So do not remove that patch. Just add the new one with it and test.

Is anyone else having a jumpy trackpad? Mine works with gestures and everything but is very jumpy (see attached).

Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas! :wave:

I'm currently with very limited internet where I am, so I can't look at your video. I should be back with good internet later today, I will check it out then. But I have not experienced a jumpy trackpad.

Thanks for the guide! I'm thinking about getting the Razer Blade 15 Advanced and have a few questions.
  1. Does HDMI work when using Intel Graphics or only when using Nvidia Graphics?
  2. Does the DisplayPort work? Might be a way to get video output if HDMI is Nvidia only.
  3. If DisplayPort works, does audio over DisplayPort work as well? Or is that even possible with this laptop? (e.g. DisplayPort might be nVidia only and also not support audio.) I'm currently running Mojave on an EliteBook Pro using RehabMan's hot-patching technique and I get audio over my displayport to HDMI adapter, so it's not a new concept, if possible for this machine.
  4. Is thunderbolt working or just USB C?
Thanks again for all your help!

1. HDMI Only works with Nvidia Graphics. The integrated Intel Graphics can not output to anything but the internal screen.
2. The Mini DisplayPort does work, but same as above. Only with the Nvidia Graphics, the Intel graphics can not be routed to it. It's not wired for it.
3. Audio still does not work over HDMI with DisplayPort or HDMI. It's not a connector issue. It's a software issue with the audio drivers. Still being worked on. I actually have some things to try to see if it resolves it. I've just been more focused on getting the 3 minute black screen upon boot up fixed, so the audio over HDMI issue has taken the back burner.
4. I can only confirm that the USB C part of this port is working. I only have 1 device that uses USB C (Pixel 2 XL). I do not have any thunderbolt devices or adapters to test with. But in theory it should be working for everything, including video out with the correct adapter.

Can you try this instead then:
Back up your current DSDT to your desktop or elsewhere.
Open your currently edited DSDT that's in the patched folder in MaciASL, click on the patch button at the top, when the window opens on the left hand side you'll see a whole list of patch options.
Scroll down to _VoodooI2C-Patches
Click on the [Windows] Windows 10 Patch and then apply it and test.
If it doesn't work, copy and paste your backed up DSDT back to the Patched folder and try again with the Window 8.1, 8 and 7 Patch.
If none of those work you can try and use the GPIO patch, but it more than likely won't do anything.

Remember, you need the original Trackpad patch that you applied using this guide for any of these to work. So do not remove that patch. Just add the new one with it and test.

I've tested what you're proposing, but it doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back