Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to completely wipe my SSD and start from scratch. Still not working.

I've attached two pictures, one without the Wifi/Bluetooth kexts installed, and one with. I've also attached my efi/clover folder. I'm really not sure what could be going wrong. I've tried wiping and re-following the guide 3 times.

I still get stuck after installing the kexts and trying to reboot. I haven't tried continuing in the guide this time so that could be something to try. Again, followed everything except using Mojave and skipped the section on APFS conversion since I "don't know what that it"

It doesn't seem to want to get past loading graphics related items but doesn't kernel panic, which is odd.

But, going through the guide, I realized that the Whatevergreen kext I uploaded in the post installation folder is incorrect, it is a beta version I was testing. Attached is the latest version of Whatevergreen and Lilu.

Delete these 2 kexts out of your Library-Extensions folder and then install the new versions of them attached below. Let me know if anything changes.

I have also updated the Post Installation Files with the correct versions.

That is my mistake.

Attachments

• Updated Kexts.zip
    495.5 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
It doesn't seem to want to get past loading graphics related items but doesn't kernel panic, which is odd.

But, going through the guide, I realized that the Whatevergreen kext I uploaded in the post installation folder is incorrect, it is a beta version I was testing. Attached is the latest version of Whatevergreen and Lilu.

Delete these 2 kexts out of your Library-Extensions folder and then install the new versions of them attached below. Let me know if anything changes.

I have also updated the Post Installation Files with the correct versions.

That is my mistake.

Thanks for that! I got it to boot! Almost everything is working after completing the guide.

The only two things left are Audio doesn't work and sleep doesn't seem to work. I have native brightness, however if I close the lid or click the sleep button in the apple menu, the display turns completely off but the razor logo never turns off nor does the keyboard light. The screen also does not ever turn back on if I try and "wake" it. This is obviously a bit of an issue.

I downloaded the latest version of Lilu.kext from it's Github and I also tried doing the same for AppleAMC for audio. I'm using your config.plist so Im not sure why audio won't work.

I've uploaded my EFI/Clover folder again for reference. Let me know if there's any other diagnostics I can run to try and help.

Attachments

• EFI 2.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 207
  • debug_14452.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 165
Thanks for that! I got it to boot! Almost everything is working after completing the guide.

The only two things left are Audio doesn't work and sleep doesn't seem to work. I have native brightness, however if I close the lid or click the sleep button in the apple menu, the display turns completely off but the razor logo never turns off nor does the keyboard light. The screen also does not ever turn back on if I try and "wake" it. This is obviously a bit of an issue.

I downloaded the latest version of Lilu.kext from it's Github and I also tried doing the same for AppleAMC for audio. I'm using your config.plist so Im not sure why audio won't work.

I've uploaded my EFI/Clover folder again for reference. Let me know if there's any other diagnostics I can run to try and help.
"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

When you try to put it to sleep, do the fans start to spin at full speed and get loud?
I don't see anything in your PR files that would contribute to sleep not working properly. But if you're running the most recent version of Mojave it could be a compatibility issue with Whatevergreen, maybe. RehabMan will probably be able to provide more on this than I can. There might be something I'm missing.
When I was running the first official release of Mojave, I didn't have that issue with sleep
As far as audio goes, it looks like you might need to use a different layout-id. There are a bunch of different ones for the ALC298, which the card in this laptop. The general one that works is layout-id 30, but that might not work for everyone.

So you will have to do some trial and error here to figure your audio issue.
Working layout-id options are: 3, 11, 13, 28, 29, 30, 47, 66, 72, 99
Right now you're using 30 if using my config.plist. So what you need to do is open the config.plist in your EFI drive in Xcode or Plist Editor.
Navigate to Devices-Properties
Click on the down arrow next to PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3)
You will then see layout-id. Change the type to Number and then start testing with the options listed above. Type in the number, hit save and reboot, check audio. Kind of an annoying/long process, but that's the only way I'm aware of to make it happen. I would start with 28, 29 and 47. In my testing the higher numbers had better luck.

You forgot to disable hibernation.
Refer to CPU PM guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/

When you try to put it to sleep, do the fans start to spin at full speed and get loud?
I don't see anything in your PR files that would contribute to sleep not working properly. But if you're running the most recent version of Mojave it could be a compatibility issue with Whatevergreen, maybe. RehabMan will probably be able to provide more on this than I can. There might be something I'm missing.
When I was running the first official release of Mojave, I didn't have that issue with sleep
As far as audio goes, it looks like you might need to use a different layout-id. There are a bunch of different ones for the ALC298, which the card in this laptop. The general one that works is layout-id 30, but that might not work for everyone.

So you will have to do some trial and error here to figure your audio issue.
Working layout-id options are: 3, 11, 13, 28, 29, 30, 47, 66, 72, 99
Right now you're using 30 if using my config.plist. So what you need to do is open the config.plist in your EFI drive in Xcode or Plist Editor.
Navigate to Devices-Properties
Click on the down arrow next to PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3)
You will then see layout-id. Change the type to Number and then start testing with the options listed above. Type in the number, hit save and reboot, check audio. Kind of an annoying/long process, but that's the only way I'm aware of to make it happen. I would start with 28, 29 and 47. In my testing the higher numbers had better luck.

Sleep actually worked fine, I was just being impatient. I disabled hibernation to be safe anyways though.

Audio still isnt working, I tried every single number you gave and none of them worked. I might try and go through them again sometime later to see if I may have missed one or messed something else up in the process. In case anyone wants to look, I've again attached my EFI and other debug info.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 199
  • debug_5228.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 161
Sleep actually worked fine, I was just being impatient. I disabled hibernation to be safe anyways though.

Audio still isnt working, I tried every single number you gave and none of them worked. I might try and go through them again sometime later to see if I may have missed one or messed something else up in the process. In case anyone wants to look, I've again attached my EFI and other debug info.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Try with FakePCIID.kext+FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext.

Guide has been updated with proper USB Power Properties. Update is listed at the top of the guide.
Recommended to apply this update.

hello, I don't know why but my gpu still working after applying the patch. I don't know how to fix it.

Attachments

• debug_10851.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 186
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back