Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im wondering if anyone has any cpu throttling issues on theirs. Running Prime95 or any cpu extensive program (in my case lightroom) the cpu clocks down to 1.75 and stays there. I would see it occasionally go boost to 2.6-2.8 but only on lighter workloads. Temp is fine, my stays around 75c and never goes above 80c so it isn't thermally limited. Some insight will be great!

Also I did run CPUFriendDataProvider

I set it to cap at base clock (2.2ghz) for the lowest frequency and set power management to high performance. It didnt seem to do anything since running prime95 I'm still steady at 1.75 at full load.

Im wondering if anyone has any cpu throttling issues on theirs. Running Prime95 or any cpu extensive program (in my case lightroom) the cpu clocks down to 1.75 and stays there. I would see it occasionally go boost to 2.6-2.8 but only on lighter workloads. Temp is fine, my stays around 75c and never goes above 80c so it isn't thermally limited. Some insight will be great!

Also I did run CPUFriendDataProvider

I set it to cap at base clock (2.2ghz) for the lowest frequency and set power management to high performance. It didnt seem to do anything since running prime95 I'm still steady at 1.75 at full load.

Sounds like a power limit? I don't know how to check for it in macOS. For Windows there is an app called Throttlestop and it tells you what limit you're hitting. Did you do any undervolting?

If I run Prime (for about a minute) with Small FFTs I get around 2.6-2.7ghz at just under 70 degrees. Throttlestop reporting a power limit and it's drawing 35 watts.

Edit: Tested on macOS and I'm getting 2.2ghz at 66C, 35 watts for Small FFTs. I didn't undervolt though and I followed the original guide with a few modifications.

Last edited:
Sounds like a power limit? I don't know how to check for it in macOS. For Windows there is an app called Throttlestop and it tells you what limit you're hitting. Did you do any undervolting?

If I run Prime (for about a minute) with Small FFTs I get around 2.6-2.7ghz at just under 70 degrees. Throttlestop reporting a power limit and it's drawing 35 watts.

Yes, you're correct. I'm looking at intel power gadget in MacOS and it's powerlimiting the power to 25w. Looks like Volta which is like XTU for mac only works for haswell and broadwell cpus.
When I boot into windows I can put it into gaming mode and prime 95 in windows I'm getting around 2.6-2.7

Is there a way to change the power limit to throttle at 45w instead of 25w in MacOS? If you're stressing all 6 cores it slows down to a crawl.

Yes, you're correct. I'm looking at intel power gadget in MacOS and it's powerlimiting the power to 25w. Looks like Volta which is like XTU for mac only works for haswell and broadwell cpus.
When I boot into windows I can put it into gaming mode and prime 95 in windows I'm getting around 2.6-2.7

Is there a way to change the power limit to throttle at 45w instead of 25w in MacOS? If you're stressing all 6 cores it slows down to a crawl.

Do the Small FFTs test in prime. The blend test gives weird results for the CPU because it's testing a lot of RAM and stuff. You should be able to reach 45 watts and then it limits to 35. I don't think you can change that. Did you do any undervolting or anything? Does uninstalling Volta do anything? Definitely check Small FFTs mode in Prime though.

Do the Small FFTs test in prime. The blend test gives weird results for the CPU because it's testing a lot of RAM and stuff. You should be able to reach 45 watts and then it limits to 35. I don't think you can change that. Did you do any undervolting or anything? Does uninstalling Volta do anything? Definitely check Small FFTs mode in Prime though.

Still shows 25watts in intel power gadgets using small ffts.

I'm running the bios 1.03, I think I'll update to 1.09 and remod the bios and unlock more options as seen in this guide. https://github.com/stonevil/Razer_Blade_Advanced_early_2019_Hackintosh

It looks like it does something like XTU in the bios level but I dont see an option to limit the power.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 4.32.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 4.32.12 PM.png
    735.8 KB · Views: 53
Still shows 25watts in intel power gadgets using small ffts.

I'm running the bios 1.03, I think I'll update to 1.09 and remod the bios and unlock more options as seen in this guide. https://github.com/stonevil/Razer_Blade_Advanced_early_2019_Hackintosh

It looks like it does something like XTU in the bios level but I dont see an option to limit the power.

Well if you didn't change anything in Volta or CPU friend it should boost just like mine. There is definitely something going on in your macOS install. The bios route is the way to go IMHO and I'll do that as well when I find the time, but I doubt it will change anything for you if there is a preexisting problem in macOS. Did you uninstall Volta? Did you maybe set CPUFriendDataProvider to Power Saving by accident?

Well if you didn't change anything in Volta or CPU friend it should boost just like mine. There is definitely something going on in your macOS install. The bios route is the way to go IMHO and I'll do that as well when I find the time, but I doubt it will change anything for you if there is a preexisting problem in macOS. Did you uninstall Volta? Did you maybe set CPUFriendDataProvider to Power Saving by accident?

Hey there, I uninstalled Volta since it only works for haswell and broadwell cpus. I upgraded my bios to 1.06 and modded it. Now it Kernel Panics booting in MacOS. Going to give this a shot again tomorrow with a clean install.

Hi everyone! I'd like to give an update. So apparently this is not a macOS thing but more of a razer blade specific problem that it power limits even in windows. After doing a full clean install with this guide and it was still power limiting at 25W and clocking the processor down to 1.75ghz when stressing all the cores in prime95.

I followed this guide which modifies the bios and I combined the bios mods from this guide.

After doing the mod, in prime95 it still PL down to 25W but now instead of a sluggish 1.75ghz I am maintaining 2.8ghz on all 6 cores which is perfectly fine by me since I can actually run the programs I need! :)

A couple things I have noticed when running with these bios mods.
1. Definitely runs hotter around 85-90c while prime95 testing
2. Fans don't ramp to the max which Im guessing it's stuck to the "balanced" profile in windows. Gaming mode ramps the fans up to keep the temp down.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 11.04.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 11.04.29 PM.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 45
Hi everyone! I'd like to give an update. So apparently this is not a macOS thing but more of a razer blade specific problem that it power limits even in windows. After doing a full clean install with this guide and it was still power limiting at 25W and clocking the processor down to 1.75ghz when stressing all the cores in prime95.

I followed this guide which modifies the bios and I combined the bios mods from this guide.

After doing the mod, in prime95 it still PL down to 25W but now instead of a sluggish 1.75ghz I am maintaining 2.8ghz on all 6 cores which is perfectly fine by me since I can actually run the programs I need! :)

A couple things I have noticed when running with these bios mods.
1. Definitely runs hotter around 85-90c while prime95 testing
2. Fans don't ramp to the max which Im guessing it's stuck to the "balanced" profile in windows. Gaming mode ramps the fans up to keep the temp down.

Still sounds a little strange? Which model do you have? It really shouldn't limit at 25w and your temps are on the high side.

Still sounds a little strange? Which model do you have? It really shouldn't limit at 25w and your temps are on the high side.

I have a 2018 Razer Blade Advance. 1070 maxq, i7-8760h, 144hz screen

Here is a copy of my EFI

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    28.8 MB · Views: 145
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back