Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
its rly strange. You can try to do usb with win installer and try to load from it. If no - just reset bios settings - it should help anyway.
I did reset the BIOS within itself (not over the Windows installer). I figured out that the Blade can't see a lot of my USB sticks, which are working like charm on other computers. I think it's a BIOS bug or something. Accordingly to Razer it's the current version installed. Do you think I have to newly install the BIOS on the laptop? Anyway, one USB stick now luckily works and I could start the installer after deleting a file.
Code:
rm -f /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra/.IAPhysicalMedia
Now I stuck because the installer wants an internet connection:( I ordered, therefore an ethernet to USB dongle. Hope the installer has all the required drivers. Because tethering from a phone does not work. The dongle should arrive today, hope I can finish the hack afterward.

I did reset the BIOS within itself (not over the Windows installer). I figured out that the Blade can't see a lot of my USB sticks, which are working like charm on other computers. I think it's a BIOS bug or something. Accordingly to Razer it's the current version installed. Do you think I have to newly install the BIOS on the laptop? Anyway, one USB stick now luckily works and I could start the installer after deleting a file.
Code:
rm -f /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra/.IAPhysicalMedia
Now I stuck because the installer wants an internet connection:( I ordered, therefore an ethernet to USB dongle. Hope the installer has all the required drivers. Because tethering from a phone does not work. The dongle should arrive today, hope I can finish the hack afterward.
I used a USB-C dongle as well and worked. If your Blade can't see many of your sticks then maybe you have to consider returning it before it's too late. Check if you are eligible for a replacement, I've never heard of such a bug existing and did not experience it no matter the BIOS version I was on.

I used a USB-C dongle as well and worked. If your Blade can't see many of your sticks then maybe you have to consider returning it before it's too late. Check if you are eligible for a replacement, I've never heard of such a bug existing and did not experience it no matter the BIOS version I was on.
Noooo, I don't wanna give it away again. I already fall in love:) But maybe you're right, I will contact the support and ask if they know a fix for it.

A day later, Sierra is up and running. In order to get it installed, I had to type
Code:
ntpdate -u time.apple.com
in the terminal BEFORE installing. Im very happy to get that far. Now my question is, can I update the offered updates in the App Store?

A day later, Sierra is up and running. In order to get it installed, I had to type
Code:
ntpdate -u time.apple.com
in the terminal BEFORE installing. Im very happy to get that far. Now my question is, can I update the offered updates in the App Store?
You meant to type High Sierra I presume. That's great news! You can update through the AppStore but make sure to pop your Clover stick in after reboot and boot into the volume called "Install macOS" using this. If you don't, it's not like your system will explode; you'll just boot normally without ever actually updating. Good luck!

Updating (security update, as well MacBook Pro Complementary Update v2) don't work. After restart in to the Update from Mac partition he installs for ages and ends up with that screen:
View attachment 404365

I think it has something to do with my clover. Because same happens when I try to start in to Recovery or in to my Installations Stick again. Any Idea how to fix that? Or at least get rid of that Install from Mac partition.

Second, mini display port is not supported, am I right? Just to make sure I didn't make an mistake.

So. Any news about kexts for touchpad without DSDT patching and with no lots of power usage?

So. Any news about kexts for touchpad without DSDT patching and with no lots of power usage?
We will always have to patch our DSDT (which is not really a bad thing). I'm just waiting for the changes to show up on GitHub before posting the newer files together with instructions.

I also got the USB-C port to work 100%, hot-plugging included. I used to have TB3 turned off as this allowed me to hot-plug my USB-C dongle. This however resulted in the HDMI output not working after putting the machine to sleep and waking it back up. As you may know leaving TB3 turned on in our BIOS results in hot-plugging not working. The fix I propose is based on the patches provided here by @dpassmor. Our USB-C controller can be found under _SB.PCI0.RP13.PXSX. There, the method _RMV has to be modified so that it always returns One or, alternatively, HPCE (which stores a value equal to one). The end result looks like this:
Code:
Scope (_SB.PCI0.RP13.PXSX)
    {
        Method (_RMV, 0, NotSerialized)  // _RMV: Removal Status
        {
            Return (HPCE)
        }
    }

Of course, use it at your own risk. I will do some more testing but I haven't had any unexpected issues so far.

So with USB-C working properly and the touchpad slowly getting there... finding a way to get our audio to work consistently is the only remaining issue before we could call our build perfect!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back