Contribute
Register

[Guide] Razer Blade 15 (2018) Detailed Install Guide High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208-17G5019)

Motherboard
Razer Blade 15 - Clover
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630/GTX 1060 - 1920x1080
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Just posting this here as well since it is related: HDMI Alt mode over USB-C broken after sleep

And also a quick update on the audio issues I've been experiencing! You can fix the headphone output being distorted after sleep by using RehabMan's CodecCommander and adding a profile for ALC298 since one doesn't exist by default. A clean way to do this without editing the Info.plist file residing inside the kext is by including an add-on SSDT in your /ACPI/patched folder. I prefer to not do it this way and edited the kext instead, so keep that in mind should you decide to use the kext I upload here. If you want to update to a newer version of it any time in the future you will have to edit its Info.plist manually or it will not work. The changes I made are the following:

Code:
<key>Codec Profile</key>
            <dict>
                <key>10ec_0298</key>
                <string>Realtek ALC298</string>

(...)

<key>Realtek ALC298</key>
                <dict>
                    <key>Custom Commands</key>
                    <array>
                        <dict>
                            <key>Command</key>
                            <data>AYcHIg==</data>
                            <key>Comment</key>
                            <string>0x18 SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 0x22</string>
                            <key>On Init</key>
                            <true/>
                            <key>On Sleep</key>
                            <false/>
                            <key>On Wake</key>
                            <true/>
                        </dict>
                        <dict>
                            <key>Command</key>
                            <data>AhcIgw==</data>
                            <key>Comment</key>
                            <string>0x21 SET_UNSOLICITED_ENABLE 0x83</string>
                            <key>On Init</key>
                            <true/>
                            <key>On Sleep</key>
                            <false/>
                            <key>On Wake</key>
                            <true/>
                        </dict>
                    </array>
                </dict>
These have been based on the SSDT patch provided here for ALC298 and daliansky's ALCPlugFix for XiaoMi Pro which, by the way, works on the Razer Blade 15 perfectly fine! If you decide to install it you will then be able to fix the headphone output cutting out issue that kicks in a couple of seconds after booting up by simply unplugging and replugging them back in. I do find it a bit messy thus not using it at the moment, but it does work.
Tested this and it does not work
Update:
After doing some digging into Codec Commander, I went and added the SSDT-ALC298a to my patched folder and it seems to have taken care of the issue. Once I do some more testing and confirm 100% I'll report back and update the guide.
Thank you for finding this. I had a feeling that Codec Commander would probably take care of the issue, but just didn't have the time to research into it enough.

Motherboard
Razer Blade 15 - Clover
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
This is great post!! and all efforts you guys here are really appreciate!!

I just bought Basic model 13.3" Razer Blade the newest one (2019) It looks like this laptop has issue with Trackpad.

Any other functions will be ok with this guide? Well, I am still waiting for the laptop. So I will try to install Mojave. Hope It would be great customac laptop. Thank you guys!
As far as I'm aware, from what others have posted here, everything else works just as it does with the 2018 models. The trackpad is the only big issue. There has been some mention of not being able to properly disable the Nvidia card, but not 100% on that one, it could just be that the SSDT to disable it needs to be patched differently. Nobody has really gotten into that just yet though

Motherboard
Razer Blade 15, 2018-Clover
CPU
i7-8750H / HM370
Graphics
UHD 630 | GTX 1060 Max-Q
Mobile Phone
iOS
Update:
After doing some digging into Codec Commander, I went and added the SSDT-ALC298a to my patched folder and it seems to have taken care of the issue. Once I do some more testing and confirm 100% I'll report back and update the guide.
Thank you for finding this. I had a feeling that Codec Commander would probably take care of the issue, but just didn't have the time to research into it enough.
Perfect! The same patches are applied anyways, so there shouldn't be any real differences. The kext works as expected for me though. Did you rebuild kextcache after installing it?

I also applied the fix proposed here and got rid of the mouse pointer jumping around when using the touchpad (modified ACPIBatteryManager.kext attached). Of course you can always build it yourself after making the following changes in AppleSmartBattery.cpp:
Code:
bool AppleSmartBattery::pollBatteryState(int path)
{

(...)

// This must be called under workloop synchronization

fProvider->getBatterySTA();
    if (fBatteryPresent)
    {
        if (fStartupFastPoll || path == kNewBatteryPath)    // added as proposed by @scottsanett
        {
            if (fUseBatteryExtendedInformation)
                fProvider->getBatteryBIX();
            else
                fProvider->getBatteryBIF();
            if (fUseBatteryExtraInformation)
                fProvider->getBatteryBBIX();
        }
        fProvider->getBatteryBST();
    }
    else

(...)
The issue seems to be related to _BIF being called rather frequently (once per second when on battery and every 30 seconds while charging, which also explains why the lag is much less noticeable when plugged in). To my (limited) knowledge, the method only returns static information and the fix shouldn't cause any unexpected issues. Keep in mind that while by probing _BIF the code does try to retrieve the battery's temperature, in our case such information is simply not available. I was concerned about this initially, but it turns out there is nothing to worry here!

Edit: Accidentally uploaded the debug build. Now fixed, this is the correct one.

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
Razer Blade 15 (2019)-Clover
CPU
i7-8750H/HM370
Graphics
HD630 / RTX 2060
Hi. AFAIK base-model’s touchpad is not working with this guide. I’m sorry. I have 144hz model, which is advanced and that touchpad is working okay.
I have the advanced still also not working with trackpad either =/ also issues with the disabling the NV card no SSDT-10 file

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8750H / HM370
Graphics
UHD 630 | GTX 1060 Max-Q
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have the advanced still also not working with trackpad either =/ also issues with the disabling the NV card no SSDT-10 file
Would you mind attaching your problem reporting files to have a look? The touchpad is a half measure even for the advanced 2018 model though. VoodooI2C has yet to be updated for Coffee Lake support and is working in polling instead of interrupts mode as a result.

Motherboard
Razer Blade 15 (2019)-Clover
CPU
i7-8750H/HM370
Graphics
HD630 / RTX 2060
Would you mind attaching your problem reporting files to have a look? The touchpad is a half measure even for the advanced 2018 model though. VoodooI2C has yet to be updated for Coffee Lake support and is working in polling instead of interrupts mode as a result.
Yeah more than happy to provide anything I can, sorry this might be a really dumb question but I've never done the reporting how do I output those out?

Motherboard
Razer Blade 15 - Clover
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Last edited:
Motherboard
Razer Blade 15 - Clover
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Yeah more than happy to provide anything I can, sorry this might be a really dumb question but I've never done the reporting how do I output those out?

Motherboard
Razer Blade 15 - Clover
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Perfect! The same patches are applied anyways, so there shouldn't be any real differences. The kext works as expected for me though. Did you rebuild kextcache after installing it?
Yes kextcache was rebuilt after installing the kext. But the fix didn't work until I added in the SSDT-ALC298a. The 298a version is specifically for the distortion issue. The patches between the 298 and 298a are also not the same, at least not from looking through the code for both from RehabMan lol

Motherboard
CPU
i7-8750H / HM370
Graphics
UHD 630 | GTX 1060 Max-Q
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yes kextcache was rebuilt after installing the kext. But the fix didn't work until I added in the SSDT-ALC298a. The 298a version is specifically for the distortion issue. The patches between the 298 and 298a are also not the same, at least not from looking through the code for both from RehabMan lol
The patches I added in Info.plist match those provided by 298a. The important thing is that you got it working though! ☺