Graphics
GTX 550TI
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
[Guide] ProBook 4340s Ivy-Bridge Installation

c03241938.png

Updated for 10.8.4 and ProBook Installer v6.1 Beta 14

The model of ProBook I have is Ivy-Bridge processor with a 7-series motherboard, i3-3110M 2.4 GHz on HM76 chipset. The exact specifications can be found at HP ProBook 4340s Notebook PC (C4Y15EA). If you have a different combination of processor to motherboard, i.e. Sandy-Bridge processor on Ivy-Bridge board or Ivy-Bridge processor on Sandy-Bridge board, you may have difficulty enabling HD 3000 / 4000 graphics. If so follow this guide Enabling HD 3000 graphics on 7-series motherboards, and HD 4000 on 6-series motherboards.

To start with I will give a summary of what is working:

Working
  • HD 4000 Graphics Acceleration
  • WiFi AR9827
  • Bluetooth AR3011
  • LAN
  • On-board and HDMI audio
  • Track pad with three finger gestures
  • Sleep / Wake from Sleep
  • HD Webcam
  • Built in Mic / Line in
  • Full range of brightness levels
  • USB 3.0, backwards compatible with USB 2.0
  • Card Reader
  • VGA out when booting with cable plugged in

Pre-Installation
As this model, and most others I assume, come pre-installed with Windows 7 or 8 you should update through Windows to the latest BIOS version, this is currently F.40 released on 1/02/2013 and can be found at HP Notebook BIOS Update. Simply download, run the .exe file and follow the on-screen instructions.

Now you have the latest BIOS version, time to create the UniBeast installer v1.7 for Mountain Lion. Remember to choose Laptop in the option menu! As I had already created a UniBeast USB pen for a desktop installation, I forgot I required a different setting for laptops and tried using this on my ProBook - I did not get far! As always, make sure you use the official ML application from the App store and it can take some time to create the bootable USB pen. Use the official guide to help create the Installer, UniBeast 10.8.

Once created, ensure you have the correct BIOS settings:
  • Hard drive set to AHCI mode
  • Fast boot disabled
  • Turn off Safe Boot and change from UEFI to Hybrid to enable booting from USB)
When ready, insert your ML USB pen and turn on laptop. Repeatedly press F9 until you reach the Boot Options menu and choose 'Boot from USB'. You should now have reached the menu to boot into the USB installer. Type:
-v -f GraphicsEnabler=No UseKernelCache=No

You should now reach the OS X Mountain Lion installer page, if you have trouble read the verbose messages on the screen and ask for help within this forum! However if you think you are stuck at a particular message, leave your laptop alone for at least 5 minutes, as it does take some time to reach the installer screen so be patient. Once at the screen, refer back to the UniBeast 10.8 guide for correctly setting up the partition schemes. The entire installation should take ~20 minutes.

Post-Installation
Once installed, the laptop should restart. Plug in your LAN cable and use the USB pen to boot into your newly created partition by typing the same boot flags as before:
-v -f GraphicsEnabler=No UseKernelCache=No

The installer should provide you with working internet. Navigate to:
  1. HP ProBook Installer 6.1 (Beta 14): Ivy-Bridge Support and download the latest package. Note, you can always download this and place on your USB after creating the pen earlier on.
  2. OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8. (Combo) and download the combo update, again this can be placed on the USB pen after running UniBeast.
Run the combo update to update to 10.8.4. Before restarting, run ProBookInstaller61b14.pkg and select the following options:
  • OS X Support Kexts -> 4x40s -> Mountain Lion -> 10.8.4
  • DSDT Generator/Patcher -> ProBook Model -> 4x40s Ivy Bridge
  • DSDT Generator/Patcher -> Fan Behaviour -> Readings Only
  • DSDT Generator/Patcher -> Display Type -> Low-Resolution Screen
  • DSDT Generator/Patcher -> Optional Patches -> Atheros AR9285 Patch (If your card is not natively working)
  • SSDT Generator
  • System Definitions -> i3/i5 Ivy Bridge
  • Chameleon r2250
  • Extra Tools -> Chameleon Wizard
  • Extra Tools -> Kext Wizard
  • Extra Tools -> HWMonitor (Lion and ML)
  • Extra Tools -> MaciASL
  • Extra Tools -> Show All Files
When completed, you may now restart your laptop and should not require the USB to boot into your new Mountain Lion partition. However as I dual booted my ProBook with two partitions, the first belonging to Windows 7 and the second to OS X, I found that when I choose to boot from my HDD I would quickly see boot0 in the top right corner as if loading up the boot menu - but then Windows 7 would automatically start itself. This was a simple fix following boot0 Error: The Official Guide, which manually installs Chimera to the active EFI partition. Once I had done this I was able to boot from my HDD without any issues.

Which WiFi card?
The WiFi card that comes with the C4Y15EA model is a Ralink RT3290 model that is not compatible with OS X. I swapped this out for an Atheros AR5B197 which is a WiFi (AR9287) & Bluetooth (AR3011) Combo card. Fortunately HP provides videos that you can follow for Removal and Replacement, I followed the one for Wireless Lan Module and it couldn't have been simpler.

The AR5B197 does not natively work, and that is why I selected the AR9285 patch under DSDT options. If yours works natively, then no need to select this. As the 4x40s range does not have a BIOS whitelist for WiFi cards, you are free to select any of the natively working cards. I would suggest the Atheros AR5BHB92, which has AR9280 chipset and operates in the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz ranges giving a maximum speed of 300 Mbit/s.

To help you select which WiFi card you wish to use in your ProBook I have translated this Polish google spreadsheet into English to help understand which cards you can buy and install. As of writing this, there are 3 supported natively and 4 which require a DeviceID fix. When buying from eBay don't worry if in the description it says, 'not supported in HP laptops', as the card in my ProBook said the exact same in the description.

The latest ProBook installer has addressed several issues that were previously missing with regards to; Bluetooth, HDMI audio and trackpad working after sleep. Previously it was required that we add product and vendor ID of the bluetooth card to IOath3kfrmwr in order to load up bluetooth functionality, however this has been done for us - so no more manual editing! Secondly, HDMI audio requires editing of AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri - which again has been included in the latest version of the ProBook installer so we don't have to! Finally, the issue with the trackpad working after the ProBook has been put to sleep has been fixed since a special release of VoodooPS2Controller, where the latest release has been included in the installer, this also enables the use of brightness and volume keys as default.

Summary
This has been the easiest installation of OS X that I have done so far! There are a huge amount of resources dedicated to installing OS X on a ProBook and there are plenty of supplementary guides to aid for HDMI audio and working WiFi etc. The people on this forum are fantastic and very much willing to help, I will add more to this guide as updates are released and a huge thank you to everyone who has answered any of my questions and helped point out mistakes :thumbup:

Download links
UniBeast v2.0.0 for Universal
HP ProBook Installer 6.1 (Beta 14): Ivy-Bridge Support
OS X Mountain Lion update v10.8.4 (Combo)
HexEdit
KextBeast v1.0
KextUtility v2.5.1 for Mountain Lion
Polish WiFi Card on Google Spreadsheets

Attachments

• WiFi_DSDT.aml.zip
    46.9 KB · Views: 463
Hi, Do you mind sharing the link where you bought the WIFI combo card please? I have 4540s model with ivy bridge i5, do you think its gonna work on that? Thanks.

hi Craigrox!

i have a few questions to you. Your Guide helped me a lot but there are a few things i can't do without some help.

what should i do with the hdmi/wifi.aml exactly? also i have a differnt wifi card (working without issues).
i hope you can explain it to me a bit more detailed...

at least i wont to say that all works similar to yours and also the card reader works fine...

EDIT: Now everthing is working...

I really enjoyed to get this thing running, but at least your guide made the most work... thanks

Thank you very much for your posts, sorry for the late replies! If anyone needs help quickly - please PM me and I will get an e-mail notification so I can help quicker :)

Hi, Do you mind sharing the link where you bought the WIFI combo card please? I have 4540s model with ivy bridge i5, do you think its gonna work on that? Thanks.

Hello!

The 4x40s does not have the whitelist that the 4x30s had, so all cards *should* work. The card I have, I needed to modify a kext to enable Bluetooth and I haven't really tested this apart from searching for devices and that works just fine - I will add this kext to my guide shortly. Please note that I do not have the option to turn BT on or off, it is constantly on - I still get great battery life so I can't complain really :thumbup:
WiFi speeds are great for me. Personally, I went for this card just have the option of BT there without having to insert a dongle. Apparently there are better WiFi cards (I have no complaints with this) and for BT it is better for a dongle.

Please know I would recommend this card! I'm just passing on what I was told when I was buying this card.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321072243276

hi Craigrox!

i have a few questions to you. Your Guide helped me a lot but there are a few things i can't do without some help.

what should i do with the hdmi/wifi.aml exactly? also i have a differnt wifi card (working without issues).
i hope you can explain it to me a bit more detailed...

at least i wont to say that all works similar to yours and also the card reader works fine...

EDIT: Now everthing is working...

I really enjoyed to get this thing running, but at least your guide made the most work... thanks

Hello! Again I am sorry for my late reply, but I'm very happy my guide helped and you have everything working!

Have you tried VGA output or plugging a LAN cable in whilst turned on?

CraigRox,

Just wanted to add my sincere appreciation for the time you've taken to publish your guide. It certainly helped me enormously getting my ProBook 4340s (B7C73PA) up & running with Mountain Lion.

About the only difference for me is the Webcam. It's a Chicony b270:04f2 which appears as a "HP HD Webcam [Fixed]". Apps like FaceTime & PhotoBooth illuminate the LED but the Cam does not function at all. In System Information on the same USB hub there is another device labelled "Vendor-Specific Device" with an id of 003d:138a. Pretty sure this is the fingerprint sensor. I'm still very new to the world of kext's & DSDT etc (& still waiting for my WLAN/Bluetooth card to arrive) so much tinkering lay ahead.

Thanks again for getting me started.

CraigRox,

Just wanted to add my sincere appreciation for the time you've taken to publish your guide. It certainly helped me enormously getting my ProBook 4340s (B7C73PA) up & running with Mountain Lion.

About the only difference for me is the Webcam. It's a Chicony b270:04f2 which appears as a "HP HD Webcam [Fixed]". Apps like FaceTime & PhotoBooth illuminate the LED but the Cam does not function at all. In System Information on the same USB hub there is another device labelled "Vendor-Specific Device" with an id of 003d:138a. Pretty sure this is the fingerprint sensor. I'm still very new to the world of kext's & DSDT etc (& still waiting for my WLAN/Bluetooth card to arrive) so much tinkering lay ahead.

Thanks again for getting me started.

Thank you very much for your kind comments :)

My webcam also appears in System Information as HP HD Webcam [Fixed], however as stated it does work natively with the applications you have mentioned. Have you tried using an application called CamTwist? This is a bit of a fudge but has been reported to enable the webcam to work with FaceTime/Photobooth etc!

Good luck with the rest of the work :thumbup:
And if you need any more help, message back on here / PM me if it's urgent

EDIT: Just a few notes, my webcam is Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc. and I have the exact same Vendor-Specific-Device so I think we can safely assume this is the finger-print reader

i have read your guide and will give it a try.
can you tell me if ar5b225 is a compatible wifi card for ML or not. it came with a 4540s i5 750GB
ThankYou in advance.

Hello again Craigrox!

first of all, vga is NOT working on mine and i think it will never work..., i dont give it a try because i dont even have a cable for it :D!

lan is working fine, i think you have the false settings in the system.

Go to System/Network/Ethernet

First see if "IPv4config" is "DHCP"

next you see on the bottom right "More Options"... hit it
then you look at "Hardware" (this is were your OS knows, which type of EthernetCard you have)
Follow these Settings: this works for my realtek...

Config: Manuell
Speed: 10baseT/UTP
Duplex: Fullduplex
MTU: Standard (1500)

Press Ok and Reboot your System. Hope all things will work for. answer me if everthing get working (or not).

For the Others here, i bought a Atheros AR9280 (NO Bluetooth). the Card works native. its a full Vanilla solution.

greetz from austria...

Hello again Craigrox!

first of all, vga is NOT working on mine and i think it will never work..., i dont give it a try because i dont even have a cable for it :D!

lan is working fine, i think you have the false settings in the system.

Go to System/Network/Ethernet

First see if "IPv4config" is "DHCP"

next you see on the bottom right "More Options"... hit it
then you look at "Hardware" (this is were your OS knows, which type of EthernetCard you have)
Follow these Settings: this works for my realtek...

Config: Manuell
Speed: 10baseT/UTP
Duplex: Fullduplex
MTU: Standard (1500)

Press Ok and Reboot your System. Hope all things will work for. answer me if everthing get working (or not).

For the Others here, i bought a Atheros AR9280 (NO Bluetooth). the Card works native. its a full Vanilla solution.

greetz from austria...

The issue with my Lan was I had left it on 'Using DHCP with manual address' from when I was connecting two laptops together! Flicked to acquire automatically and I instantly had ethernet access! Thank you for the pointer, was just a silly mistake on my part haha.

There is a thread somewhere about VGA out, if I try I will report back! Will be useful at Uni somewhat to have VGA :(

Thanks again!

i have read your guide and will give it a try.
can you tell me if ar5b225 is a compatible wifi card for ML or not. it came with a 4540s i5 750GB
ThankYou in advance.

The AR5B225 is not compatible. This spreadsheet shows what cards work Natively/DSDT-fix/Device-ID fix, the ones in red do not work unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back