Contribute
Register

[Guide] Patching DSDT/SSDT for LAPTOP backlight control

Hi RehabMan,

First, I wanna thank you for your great work :headbang:

I’m having trouble with patching my HD5000 (GT3 mobile) DSDT/SSDT on my Sony Vaio Pro 13 for backlight support.

I’ve extracted my aml files with patchamic, then decompiled them and then applied the “Rename GFX0” patch on DSDT and SSDT-6 and 7.

But I cannot apply the Brightness Fix for Haswell (I guess Maciasl cannot find any matching entries).
I tried the basic Brightness fix and I get the slider in the Display preferences but it has no impact on brightness. Can you help me ? (I’ve uploaded the dsl files for you to check, I’ve removed SSDT-3 because it kept me from decompiling).

I don’t know if it’s related, but my HDMI output is "broken", when I plug in, the system freezes (the screen is scrambled).
Also, during the boot I get the apple logo garbled and then the brightness is low and I get to the login screen.

Thank you for your wisdom :ugeek:

Attachments

• HD5000.zip
    148.6 KB · Views: 132
Hi RehabMan,

First, I wanna thank you for your great work :headbang:

I’m having trouble with patching my HD5000 (GT3 mobile) DSDT/SSDT on my Sony Vaio Pro 13 for backlight support.

I’ve extracted my aml files with patchamic, then decompiled them and then applied the “Rename GFX0” patch on DSDT and SSDT-6 and 7.

But I cannot apply the Brightness Fix for Haswell (I guess Maciasl cannot find any matching entries).
I tried the basic Brightness fix and I get the slider in the Display preferences but it has no impact on brightness. Can you help me ? (I’ve uploaded the dsl files for you to check, I’ve removed SSDT-3 because it kept me from decompiling).

I don’t know if it’s related, but my HDMI output is "broken", when I plug in, the system freezes (the screen is scrambled).
Also, during the boot I get the apple logo garbled and then the brightness is low and I get to the login screen.

Thank you for your wisdom :ugeek:

The file you need to patch is in SSDT-6. It has your GFX0 device definition "Device (GFX0".

The device is at 0x00020000 (eg. _ADR 0x0002000)

But somewhat oddly, _ADR is defined as a method:
Code:
            Method (_ADR, 0, Serialized)  // _ADR: Address
            {
                \DBGC (0x60, Zero, BCEN)
                Return (0x00020000)
            }

Change it to a Name:
Code:
Name(_ADR, 0x00020000)

After that, the patch will attempt to apply, but something in this code is confusing the MaciASL parser... And that is because you're using the wrong version of iasl to disassemble.

Make sure you use the iasl linked by the DSDT/SSDT guide to disassemble your native files.

I've re-disassembled the aml files but there's still the Return and no Name...but maciasl allowed me to apply the Haswell patch ! Anyway thank you so much, I finally see some light :mrgreen:

Would you have an idea why it freezes when I plug a HDMI cable ? Is there any patch out there ? I really need a dual monitor support.

As for the boot garbling, I've tried the new patch on the first page of the guide, but no success...

I've re-disassembled the aml files but there's still the Return and no Name...but maciasl allowed me to apply the Haswell patch ! Anyway thank you so much, I finally see some light :mrgreen:

Yes, applying the change to _ADR that I mention is what enables the patch to be applied.

Would you have an idea why it freezes when I plug a HDMI cable ? Is there any patch out there ? I really need a dual monitor support.

Lately, we have started to theorize this is caused by incomplete HDMI-audio implementation.

Post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply to an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Here it comes. Thank you.

Attachments

• ioreg.zip
    320.1 KB · Views: 123
Here it comes. Thank you.

Well, there is no sign of any portion of HDMI-audio implemented. Although you also have no audio yet, either.

Perhaps you should work on both audio and HDMI-audio. That would be off-topic in this thread, so please open a separate thread.

I've noticed that brightness level isn't kept between reboots. Is it normal ?

I've noticed that brightness level isn't kept between reboots. Is it normal ?

Normal if you don't have working NVRAM. What bootloader are you using?

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

I've updated my profile...

Back