Contribute
Register

[Guide] Patching DSDT/SSDT for LAPTOP backlight control

Ok, I got all tables from Linux.
View attachment tables.zip
When I added .aml, placed them all in one folder and tried to disassemble them with iasl, I got:
Code:
[FONT=arial]Loading Acpi table from file   APIC.aml - Length 00000140 (00008C)
[/FONT][FONT=Menlo][SIZE=2][FONT=arial]Loading Acpi table from file   UEFI.aml - Length 00000566 (000236)[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo][SIZE=2][FONT=arial]Pass 1 parse of [UEFI][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo][SIZE=2][FONT=arial]ACPI Warning: Invalid character(s) in name (0xA10ABF02), repaired: [****] (20141107/utstring-708)[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo][SIZE=2][FONT=arial]ACPI Warning: Invalid character(s) in name (0xA10ABF02), repaired: [****] (20141107/utstring-708)[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo][SIZE=2][FONT=arial]Could not parse external ACPI tables, AE_AML_NO_OPERAND[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

-theandy

Ok, I got all tables from Linux.
View attachment 121648
When I added .aml, placed them all in one folder and tried to disassemble them with iasl, I got:
Code:
[FONT=arial]Loading Acpi table from file   APIC.aml - Length 00000140 (00008C)
[/FONT][FONT=Menlo][SIZE=2][FONT=arial]Loading Acpi table from file   UEFI.aml - Length 00000566 (000236)[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo][SIZE=2][FONT=arial]Pass 1 parse of [UEFI][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo][SIZE=2][FONT=arial]Could not parse external ACPI tables, AE_AML_NO_OPERAND[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

-theandy

Read the guide carefully. You should not attempt to disassemble files other than DSDT/SSDT. The guide is *very* clear on this point.

FYI: Your GFX0 device is defined in SSDT4.

Thank you very very much :headbang:
I'm currently reading the DSDT/SSDT patching Guide, really interesting.
It's probably a lot of work you put in all this. Nice to have a forum member like you.
I really appreciate this :thumbup:

Keep on the good work!

greets
-theandy

Overview

Assuming _Q10 is brightness down, and _Q11 is up.
Code:
into method label _Q10 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Down\n
    Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0205)\n
    Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0285)\n
end;
into method label _Q11 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Up\n
    Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0206)\n
    Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0286)\n
end;

/QUOTE]

Hello, so I've got to the point where I can see from the console that down button is "EC _Q11" and then up button is "EC _Q12" for the brightness control. But I've tried to find where I should patch them in dsdt as well as ssdt files but I have no idea how to patch methods... Can you tell me how and where I should put those patches into?

Thanks in advance

Hello, so I've got to the point where I can see from the console that down button is "EC _Q11" and then up button is "EC _Q12" for the brightness control. But I've tried to find where I should patch them in dsdt as well as ssdt files but I have no idea how to patch methods... Can you tell me how and where I should put those patches into?

The patches are for MaciASL.

Read here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html

Maybe this has been wrote in the topic but I found a very simple workaround to make the brightness keys work ( provided you already patched the DSDT to make the brightness slider appears in sys prefs / displays )

go into systems prefs, keyboard, shortcuts then display ( or screen ) , then reassign the god damn shortcuts to dim or augment the screen light.
You can reassign to F1 or F2 for example , and tada , it will work exactly like "FN + Fx" keys , it's even better to me cause you dont have to use 2 keys at the same time.

Ok it will eats 2 keys from the FX range of the keyboard, but who cares ?

Maybe this has been wrote in the topic but I found a very simple workaround to make the brightness keys work ( provided you already patched the DSDT to make the brightness slider appears in sys prefs / displays )

go into systems prefs, keyboard, shortcuts then display ( or screen ) , then reassign the god damn shortcuts to dim or augment the screen light.
You can reassign to F1 or F2 for example , and tada , it will work exactly like "FN + Fx" keys , it's even better to me cause you dont have to use 2 keys at the same time.

Ok it will eats 2 keys from the FX range of the keyboard, but who cares ?

Or you can do it as described in the guide in post #1. Which makes the same keys work as they do on Windows and does not take away the capability to press any of the Fxx keys.

It is not that difficult...

Please note: The options to map function keys to brightness up/down in SysPrefs->Keyboard->Shortcuts(Display) do not exist for all SMBIOS configurations.

Hi everyone I'm trying to do this by patching the SSDT-5.aml, but I can't compile it for some errors, can anyone help me to fix it? Thank you!

View attachment SSDT-5.aml

Back