Contribute
Register

[Guide] Patching DSDT/SSDT for LAPTOP backlight control

hello @RehabMan,
I have tweaked your graphics_PNLF-ACPI100 patch to work with a dell studio 1747 with a radeon hd 4650

It works without adding any kexts

I really don't know if it is the preferred way to do it but it works
I inserted the PLNF device under the LCD device
and, as I could not understand ,what the relative path to _BQC and other methods was, I wrote the absolute path
e.g . Return(\_SB.PCI0.P0P2.M86.LCD._BQC())

I attach the patch so you can add it to your repo if you like

P.S. you have to run the patch "rename gfx0 to igpu" for this to work

thanks for all the beautiful work

eric

Attachments

• graphics_PNLF-ACPI100-DELL-STUDIO-1747.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
hello @RehabMan,
I have tweaked your graphics_PNLF-ACPI100 patch to work with a dell studio 1747 with a radeon hd 4650

It works without adding any kexts

I really don't know if it is the preferred way to do it but it works
I inserted the PLNF device under the LCD device
and, as I could not understand ,what the relative path to _BQC and other methods was, I wrote the absolute path
e.g . Return(\_SB.PCI0.P0P2.M86.LCD._BQC())

I attach the patch so you can add it to your repo if you like

P.S. you have to run the patch "rename gfx0 to igpu" for this to work

thanks for all the beautiful work

eric

macOS will not natively use the ACPI methods for brightness (_BQC, _BCM, etc).
So no need to add them at all if you're using native brightness capability.

macOS will not natively use the ACPI methods for brightness (_BQC, _BCM, etc).
So no need to add them at all if you're using native brightness capability.
Hello @RehabMan
When I use the SSDT-PNLF.aml.
Although it look like black-screen, it can get into system.My screen will always like normal but get dark soon so make it look likes black-screen. Actually I can't control it, without a Flashlight lol.
I want to let you watch the video that what I'm talking about but can't upload here.

It is because I want my HDMI audio output get work at the begging, but there maybe have a problem and I go to ask and check what the problem is.
First I find that in the IOREG don't have AppleBacklightDisplay under the AppleDisplay and this is the laptop internal screen.

but when I change my ACPI DSDT fixes addPNLF on, the AppleBacklightDisplay will appear.

And When I follow the guide that you posted how to enable the HDMI audio,
I find that when I connected my HDMI monitor for AppleIntelFramebuffer@1 connector-type still is 00 04 00 00 , not 00 08 00 00 as you said.(the first img)

Also in the Hackintools if I don't turn on the addPNLF, in the display my laptop monitor will never get internal on when open the tools, but if I use the addPNLF on, I have check that the internal will get tick when open the tools.

but if I use addPNLF my screen will get very very dark and hard to use,
so I follow the guide that you post, SSDT-PNLF and Applebacklightfix to fix my problem, but it will make my first problem appear.

Last edited:
I have succesfull installed macOS Sierra 10.12.6 to my Asus G73SW laptop. I've got a lot of working except the brightness control with my FN keys.

First I've patched my DSDT with the "Brightness fix" to enable the brightness slider in sys preference. After the patch the slider appears but the brightness went down (no problem at all). Than I wanted to control the brightness with the FN keys (FN + F5 brightness down and FN + F6 brightness up).

First I found out that the FN + F5 button = Q0E
and that the FN + F6 button = Q0F
and I found out that I need to use "SBRG" instead of "LPCB"

So I tried to patch my DSDT with this code:
Code:
into method label _Q0E replace_content
begin
// Brightness Down\n
    Notify(\_SB.PCI0.SBRG.PS2K, 0x0405)\n
end;
into method label _Q0F replace_content
begin
// Brightness Up\n
    Notify(\_SB.PCI0.SBRG.PS2K, 0x0406)\n
end;

Compiled and placed in /EFI/ACPI/Patched, reboot. No luck can't control the brightness with the FN + Keys

Hi Rehabman,

Is there a chart for adb codes for its function? Also, it's interesting that adb 131 is not working for me to go into launchpad.

Hi!
I'm trying to enable Brightness hotkeys on my laptop. I've already found out what is the EC queries for them (_Q14, _Q15).
At this moment I cannot properly patch DSDT for this keys.
Original one looks like:
Code:
            Method (_Q14, 0, NotSerialized)  // _Qxx: EC Query
            {
                If (\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC.HKEY.MHKK (0x01, 0x8000))
                {
                    \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC.HKEY.MHKQ (0x1010)
                }

If (\VIGD)
                {
                    Notify (\_SB.PCI0.GFX0.DD1F, 0x86)
                }
            }

I do not understand how to modify it. I've tried replacing method body with:
1) \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC.HKEY.MHKQ (0x0406)
2) Notify (\_SB.PCI0.GFX0.DD1F, 0x0406)
, but with no success.

Please help to understand how to complete this?

Attachments

• debug_9200.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 178
  • DSDT.dsl
    946.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Hello @RehabMan, I'd hate to bother you not sure if you're active in the hackintosh community or not. I am having issues getting my hackintosh laptop to work properly. I was going to see if you could give me a hand with it?

Hello every one.
I am trying to map the key with the brightness and it is very strange that both of brighter and dimmer key have the same code. Is anyone face with the same problem ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 9.30.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 9.30.09 PM.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 209
The 0x0405 corresponds to PS2 keydown/keyup are automatic (e005/e085) for the brightness down key used by Dell laptops. In the default keyboard profile, these correspond to ADB codes 91/90 (brigthness down/up). If your laptop uses a keyboard profile other than the default, you may need to use different codes.

@RehabMan

Hi, I am trying to add Fn key functions like 'sleep' and 'disable touchpad', with DSDT patch and VoodooPS2Controller.

I know that the ACPI notifies PS2 driver with something like 'Notify (PS2K, 0x0405)', so the VoodooPS2Keyboard can get the notification and adjust the brightness. But I don't figure out what the relationship is between the 0x0405 and the scan code 0xe005. What does the 0x0405 mean here, and how can I compute the value for a custom Fn key?

Any detail or a link for documentation or related source code would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello! For some reason I can't execute the ioio, terminal outputs: zsh: operation not permitted: ioio. sip is disabled, termnal has full disk access. Don't know what to do

Back