Contribute
Register

[Guide] Patching DSDT/SSDT for LAPTOP backlight control

Hi RehabMan,

I have a working slider in SysPrefs-> Displays:clap:. Brightness key that works is fn + f5 (f17?) for up, down ?:rolleyes:

Would like to map brightness keys a bit different on my MSI Laptop.

See attached picture which shows, among other things, my keyboard and arrow keys:
View attachment 276915

Has extracted scan codes for fn + arrow keys up and down with your ioio binary;Console shows:

ApplePS2Keyboard: Send key e078 = 80 down (arrow keys up)
ApplePS2Keyboard: Send key e077 = 80 down (arrow keys down)

Have tried editing the values in info.plist below: IOKitPersonalities-> ApplePS2Keyboard-> Platform Profile-> DELL-> SNB-CPT-> Function Keys Special->

Map acpi RKA2 to f4 brightness down
Map acpi RKA1 to f5 brightness up

Of course, that did not work ... Do you have any tips on howto ?

Please help. Thank you!

Your keys (Fn+arrows) are likely handled in ACPI.
You need to instrument the EC queries to determine which one, then patch as per guide.
No editing required to Voodoo Info.plist files.

In other words, read post #1.

Your keys (Fn+arrows) are likely handled in ACPI.
You need to instrument the EC queries to determine which one, then patch as per guide.
No editing required to Voodoo Info.plist files.

In other words, read post #1.

Ok,;)

Have instrumented the EC queries on (Fn + arrows),and used this method:

into method label _QB7 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Down\n
Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0405)\n
end;
into method label _QB8 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Up\n
Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0406)\n
end;

Everything worked, but why could I not use the scan codes I got from the arrow keys: e078 / 77 from ioio binary in the Voodoo Info.plist file?

Any possibility of removing fn + f5 that gives brightness up since i can not find brightness down among those keys?

Just trying to learn along the way, anyway; Thank you very much for your help! :headbang:

Ok,;)

Have instrumented the EC queries on (Fn + arrows),and used this method:

into method label _QB7 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Down\n
Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0405)\n
end;
into method label _QB8 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Up\n
Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0406)\n
end;

Everything worked, but why could I not use the scan codes I got from the arrow keys: e078 / 77 from ioio binary in the Voodoo Info.plist file?

Just trying to learn along the way, anyway; Thank you very much for your help! :headbang:

Arrow keys are not the same as Fn+Arrow keys.

Arrow keys are not the same as Fn+Arrow keys.

Sorry that I did not make it clear, there have always been FN + Arrow keys both in ioio and with EC quieries. :angel:

Do you know about any possibility of removing fn + f5 that gives brightness up since I can not find brightness down among those keys?

Sorry that I did not make it clear, there have always been FN + Arrow keys both in ioio and with EC quieries. :angel:

Do you know about any possibility of removing fn + f5 that gives brightness up since I can not find brightness down among those keys?

Check the logs to see what Fn+F5 is generating.
You might also want to see what F5 generates... I'm betting Fn+F5 and F5 are the same.

first sorry for my bad english :)
im using nvidia gt 525m gpu laptop toshiba l745, patch dsdt with "BrightnessFix(only)",install ACPIBacklight kext.
Slider work in display setting n from my keyboard, but not going dark or bright,just slide up/down. Should i discrete graphics card? thx

first sorry for my bad english :)
im using nvidia gt 525m gpu laptop toshiba l745, patch dsdt with "BrightnessFix(only)",install ACPIBacklight kext.
Slider work in display setting n from my keyboard, but not going dark or bright,just slide up/down. Should i discrete graphics card? thx

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Also, please fill out your profile as per FAQ. Before your next reply.

Hi RehabMan, Im using an Acer Aspire VX15 https://www.acer.com/ac/es/ES/content/model/NH.GM2EB.005 now is working with a Nvidia GTX 1050ti, what should I do on Nvidia graphics to enable the backlight control? The only problems are audio and backlight, I upload my EFI clover floder and Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• efi.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 80
Hi RehabMan, Im using an Acer Aspire VX15 https://www.acer.com/ac/es/ES/content/model/NH.GM2EB.005 now is working with a Nvidia GTX 1050ti, what should I do on Nvidia graphics to enable the backlight control? The only problems are audio and backlight, I upload my EFI clover floder and Thanks!!!!

You might read here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304530-clover-change-explanations/page-4#entry2490638

It at least gives you some clues about what you might need to inject.

I have an Asus Laptop with Sierra 10.12.6 and ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext, can I use one of the patches in op to fix the broghtness keys? which of these?

Back