Graphics
RX 580 Nitro+
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Overview
This guide describes how to install Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10) on the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga. It does not cover anything related to Windows or other two OSes on one disk shenanigans. The Yoga has one SATA port and one M2.2242 slot. I simply used the free slot to install an additional SSD and used it for Mac OS. In the whole guide I assume that this is done.

Some statements are marked with a reference of the form (*X), where X is a number. The corresponding footnotes can be found at the end of this post, after the changelog.

Last update: (See the end of this post for a changelog)

DISCLAIMER: This guide is provided "AS IS". In following this guide you acknowledge that any case of breakage, bricking, spontaneous combustion or dying kittens as a result of you performing any action described here is completely on you. Please read the whole guide before actually doing anything. The guide was developed with one specific model of the Lenovo Yoga (20CD0038GE). Your mileage may vary depending on your model. If you have success using this guide with a different model please post in this thread, so I can add the model to the description!

What works
- UEFI booting via Clover
- built-in keyboard (*1)
- built-in trackpad
- audio (speakers/out/mic) (*2)
- USB 2 (*3)
- built-in camera (*2)
- touchscreen and stylus input
- accelerated graphics
- sleep (*3)
- sleep/wake when lid is closed/opened
- native power management
- backlight (*1)
- battery info (*1)

What does not work and is on the TODO list (feel free to contribute)
- hdmi out (stopped working in 10.10.2, but worked fine in 10.10.1)
- screen flicker upon login since 10.10.2
- Button mapping of windows button below screen and screen rotation-lock at the side to functions useful in tablet mode (i.e. launchpad & mission control)
- native wifi through rebranding

What does not work or was not tested and is NOT on my todo list (feel free to contribute)
- TPM (*3)
- USB 3 and sleep (*3)
- sd-card reader (*4)
- native wifi/bluetooth (*5)

What you need
- Mac OS X Yosemite form the App Store (tested with 10.10.1 & 10.10.2)
- 8GB USB stick (*6)
- free HDD/SSD space for the install (as stated above I recommend installing an additional drive or if you are unsure about the procedure having it installed by someone)
- wifi stick that works with Yosemite or another means to get Internet connectivity

BIOS settings
Config
---> USB
-------> USB 3.0 Mode [Disabled]
Security
---> Security Chip
-------> Security Chip [Disabled]
---> I/O Port Access
-------> Wireless LAN [Disabled] (*5)
-------> Bluetooth [Disabled] (*5)
-------> Memory Card Slot [Disabled] (*4)
---> Secure Boot
-------> Secure Boot [Disabled]

(for install only, can be changed back later) Startup
---> Boot Mode [Diagnostics]
---> Option key Display [Enabled]
---> Boot device List F12 Option [Enabled]

Preparing Clover stick and installation
First you need to create a Clover installation media using the Yosemite image downloaded from the App Store and a 8GB Stick. Use the "createinstallmedia method" and Rehabmans HD4400 plist as described in this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...oting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover-uefi.html. Using this stick, the installation should run smoothly. You will also get a (fully functioning) Recovery partition and all the benefits that come with it.

Bootloader installation
Download the Clover installer and install to your disk. Use the same options as for the installation media. However I provide a tuned version of the config.plist that is attached to this post (based on Rehabmans HD4400 version). Please note that to use it you need to install the additional mlcamp theme or change the theme value using an appropriate editor (e.g. plistEdit pro or Xcode). Also: Don't forget to install HFSPlus.efi as you did on the installation media.

Additinal kexts
You will need to copy some additional kexts over to your mounted EFI partition to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10:
- ACPIBatteryManager
- FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400
- FakePCIID
- FakeSMC
- VoodooHDA
- VoodooPS2Controller
For convenience I provide the full package attached to this post. However, be aware that gettings the kexts from the original sources (and therefore potentially updated versions) might come with benefits. You might need to rebuild the kext cache, so just do it using Kext Wizard.

DSDT and SSDT patching
Extract the DSDT and SSDTs as described in this post (be sure to use RehabMans version of iasl or you will run into troubles): http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html. I used the Linux method (ubuntu stick) and it worked marvellously. You'll need the DSDT as well as the SSDT files related to GPU and IAOE (SSDT3 and SSDT5 for me). You first need to fix the compiling errors. If you extracted the DSDTs using ubuntu, you have the Yoga model stated at the beginning of the guide and you feel too lazy to learn fixing these errors yourself there is a patch attached to this post you can use in MaciASL.

Apply the following patches to the DSDT:
- Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel (from Rehabman repository)
- Battery fix for Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga (attached to this post, based on T440p patch from Rehabman repository)
- Rename GFX0 to IGPU (from Rehabman repository)
- Brightness control buttons fix (attached to this post)

Apply the following patches to the GPU SSDT:
- Rename GFX0 to IGPU
- Brightness fix (Haswell)

Apply the following patches to the IAOE SSDT:
- Rename GFX0 to IGPU

Finally you need to generate the CPU SSDT. Use the procedure regarding ssdtPRGen.sh outlined in this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/146870-guide-native-power-management-laptops.html. Copy all the DSDT and SSDT files to the path /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched on your mounted EFI partition. After a restart OS X should be fully working.

Some more adjustments
- Depending on your preferences you might want to adjust the behaviour of the Windows and Alt keys. This can be done in SysPref -> Keyboard -> Modifier Keys.
- While you are at it have a look at at the Trackpad settings, too.

Advanced adjustments
- Depending on your setup (i.e. if you kept the full Windows partition intact) you might want to hide unnecessary boot option from clover. Use the Hide option and UUIDs you can get from diskutil. See here for more info: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/GUI#Hide

Tablet mode related hints
- Mac OS has built-in support for handwriting recognition. It is called Ink and you can enable it in SysPref -> Ink
- Mac OS has a virtual keyboard. To use it in tablet mode enable the option SysPref -> Keyboard -> "Show Keyboard & Character Viewers in menu bar". Then you can access it through the menu bar icon -> Show keyboard viewer.

Changelog
2015-03-15 --- Initial guide

Footnotes
1: basically works OOB, but some tweaking is needed, which is covered in the guide
2: confirmed with Skype
3: Currently sleep works only when the TPM chip is disabled and all USB ports are configured as USB 2.0 (both can be changed via BIOS settings). Note that all USB 3.0 devices will work, only not with USB 3.0 speed (or that is what I assume, my USB 3.0 stick worked fine). If you desperately need TPM or USB 3.0 you will (for now) have to live without working sleep.
4: was not tested, but in a quick search it seemed as if there was no appropriate driver
5: there is no driver for the internal intel wifi card (as far as I know). The bluetooth chip seems to work every now and then, but I don't use it so I disabled it in the BIOS.
6: Installation worked flawlessly for me with my USB 3.0 stick and USB 3.0 active in BIOS (ADATA S102/8GB USB3.0).

Attachments

• config_thinkpad_yoga.plist
    5.3 KB · Views: 897
  • patch_fix_compile_errors_thinkpad_yoga.txt
    305 bytes · Views: 688
  • patch_brightness_control_thinkpad_yoga.txt
    347 bytes · Views: 761
  • patch_battery_fix_thinkpad_yoga.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 739
  • kexts_thinkpad_yoga.zip
    451.4 KB · Views: 767
Last edited:
Nice Guide! Thanks a lot for this. :thumbup: I installed it on my Yoga and it works. :)

Do you already have other news about your yoga and maybe solutions for one or one other problem with yosemite? Or are you still on the same state like you posted in march?

Did you tried installing El Capitan?

I works with standard unibeast + installing kext for keyboard. But I was not able to get audio running.

I have a first gen Thinkpad Yoga 12.5", my model number is slightly different, it's 20CDCTO1WW do you think that I have a chance of getting MacOS to work if I follow this guide?

Can I still keep Windows and everything I have installed on my laptop seperate? I have a 256gb ssd that I got as standard. Does that mean to keep everything seperate I would need to buy M2.2242 SSD drive to fit into the M2.2242 slot? Any recommendations if yes?

And I'm assuming/hoping at boot I would be able to choose if I boot into MacOS or Windows?

And one last question, have you been able to update to newer MacOS updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back