i7-7700T
Graphics
GTX960
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

A guide to loading OS X 10.8.5 onto an MSI Z87M-G43 motherboard.

I thought a guide would be useful as this motherboard caused me great effort to accomplish something that should be simple; loading an Apple OS.

The key here is that this motherboard has what is known as a locked MSR. I found that I could not boot into OS X 10.8.5 OOB (out of box).

As is usually the case, someone had already identified the problem and produced a solution.

You can read up on this subject here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/47397-msi-asrock-foxconn-1155-patched-bios-thread.html

And the credits go to CodeRush, a developer over on IM that generated PMPatch. PMPatch is available in Windows version and OS X version. I read someplace that the Windows version worked well so I booted into Windows 8 on the subject MSI motherboard and downloaded the zipped executable from this site: http://www.mediafire.com/?8866wtwhp4wi7 The PMPatch_0.5.13.win.zip is the file that I used.

In Win8, I opened a cmd window and pathed to the the download folder. I unzipped the file and then pathed to the unzipped file. I had previously downloaded the latest BIOS file for the motherboard so I copied the file to the location of the PMPatch.exe file. The arguments need are "pmpatch input.file output.file" See the screen capture.

PMPatch.jpg

Start General Note: While I have booted Ubuntu LINUX and I have a Window 8 installation for this motherboard both of which have internet access via the onboard NIC, I am not able to get the onboard NIC to function (yet) in OS X 10.8.5 and 10.9. To be able to move on, I am running Tp Link 1GigE PCIe 1 card that uses the Realtek chip set the kext loads up and OS X is happy.

Then today I searched the forum (Tony's) and found RehabMan's pointer to Mieze's Realtek RTL8111 Network Driver. Found the latest version here: https://code.google.com/p/os-x-real...habMan-Realtek-Network-2013-0819.zip&can=2&q=

I removed the Kext that I had installed with MultiBeast and loaded this up using KextWizard.app and problem resolved.

End General Note.

OS X 10.8.5 Install Guide for MSI Z87M-G43
with patched E7823IMS.240 BIOS (see above)
with a DVI display attached to the motherboard DVI port
with USB keyboard and mouse attached to the USB2 ports
with an Ethernet cable attached to a live network
with amplified speakers attached to Green audio port (rear panel)
with at least 4GB DDR 3 memory installed
with a Haswell CPU with cooler installed
with a SATA HDD or SSD attached to the first SATA port and powered.
with an appropriate PSU

A. On the MSI motherboard set the BIOS to Optimized Defaults.

B. Download OS X 10.8.5 from the Apple App Store.

C. Download UniBeast 2.1.1, MultiBeast 5.5.n and Chimera 2.2.1 from TonyMacX86.com

D. Build the USB installer per http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html. After this is complete, you can copy MultiBeast and Chimera to the USB installer stick. Also you can copy Kext Wizard and the c RTL811.kext to the installer stick.

E. On the MSI-Z87M-G43 motherboard boot to the USB installer from a USB 2.0 port. Use the F11 key as needed to select the USB installer. Use this command argument: "-v ncpi=0x3000 PCIRootUID=0 dart=0" without the quotes.

F. At the second installation screen, select Disk Utility from the top menu bar drop down.

G. Choose the HDD or SSD and partition it into two partitions using GUID scheme and Mac OS Extended (journaled) format.

H. Exit Disk Utility and select the first partition of the just partitioned drive. Note do not have any other drives attached.

I. Start the installation, and wiggle the mouse once or twice during the installation which will keep the system from throwing up a blank screen (saver).

J. Restart the system when the installation completes.

K. Use F11 to select the USB installer for booting (for the first boot).

L. Use the arrow keys to select the new partition that you just installed OS X on.

M. Enter this boot argument string: "-v ncpi=0x3000 PCIRootUID=0 dart=0" without the quotes.

N. Boot the system and go through the account setup screens to the desktop.

O. Copy MultiBeast, Chimera, Kext Wizard, and Realtek RTL811.kext to the desktop. These files could be on your USB installer device (or you can provide the from any other source).

P. Open Filer preferences and check as appropriate to see the drives and servers.

Q. Open System Preferences and go to Security & Privacy, Click on the lock icon and enter your admin password. Set "Allow applications downloaded from" to "Anywhere"

R. Run MultiBeast selecting these items:
MB-setup.jpg

S. Before running the pop-up Realtek - Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx v0.0.90, open the Text Editor and select the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file in the /Extra folder. Make the edits to the Kernel Flags as shown in this aid.
plist-edit.jpg

T. Select the USB installer and eject it from the running system.

U. Now start the Realtek - Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx v0.0.90 and select the "released" version.

V. Click "Restart" and set back and watch your system boot into OS X 10.8.5 for the fist time from your new installed partition.

X. Check to see if your Ethernet is working. If it is your are done. Every thing should be working (including Sleep and Wake From Sleep, Proper Shutdown, un-assisted boot, video acceleration and full HD 4600 functionality).

Y. However if your Ethernet is not working you should go into /System/Library/Extensions and delete "RealtekRTL81xx.kext", use Kext Wizard to rebuild permissions, reboot, use Kext Wizard to install the Mieze Realtek RTL811.kext. Use Kext Wizard to rebuild permissions and then reboot.

Z. Now you are done with installation and you can load up your apps (I use the Migration Assistant.app found in the Utilities sub-directory).

I hope that this guide is found to be useful. I will attempt to answer questions but please remember that this guide is based upon one motherboard that I purchased the week that Haswell CPUs first went on sale. The newer boards may not behave the same.

And credit where credit is due: TonyMac and his crew including the moderators do a great job here to make all of this possible. Then MiniHack for pointing me towards PMPatch, SamiSnake for his thread on locked BIOSs, RehabMan for his many responses to people in trouble and the reference to the Mieze's Realtek kext. And CodeRush over on IM for his PMPatch.exe which saved my sanity.

My MSI motherboard now boots every time and appears to be stable based on two days of poking at it. I am running an i7-4770T CPU and the system idles at 35 Watts AC input power.

Good modding,
neil

Great Guide!

Could I ask when do you use chimera? Maybe is my fault, but I'm not understanding when I have to use it.

Thanks!

Great Guide!

Could I ask when do you use chimera? Maybe is my fault, but I'm not understanding when I have to use it.

Thanks!

A good question.

I always clone a new install to a second partition. And I recommend that you run Chimera with the cloned partition as the target. And I recommend ShirtPocket Sofware's SuperDuper application for cloning.

Sorry that I did not follow through on that topic.

Good modding,
Neil

A good question.

I always clone a new install to a second partition. And I recommend that you run Chimera with the cloned partition as the target. And I recommend ShirtPocket Sofware's SuperDuper application for cloning.

Sorry that I did not follow through on that topic.

Good modding,
Neil

Last question from a noob: instead of using chimera "standalone" package, why dont you use chimera included inside multibeast 5.5.3 (should be the same, chimera 2.2.1) checking it in the multibeast step on your guide?
It s better using standalone version rather than the multibeast one?

Thanks for your help and precious time!

Last question from a noob: instead of using chimera "standalone" package, why dont you use chimera included inside multibeast 5.5.3 (should be the same, chimera 2.2.1) checking it in the multibeast step on your guide?
It s better using standalone version rather than the multibeast one?

Thanks for your help and precious time!

I have spent many hours using MultiBeast and when I want to just freshen a boot loader installation, the standalone Chimer installer is just the ticket. It is personal preference only.

Also, on most of my builds I install a RAID-0, but that is another story, and I recently generated a guide for that also. See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-0-os-x-10-8-5-using-tonymacx86-tool-set.html

Good modding
neil

Hey Neil, how abt iCloud? is it working?
I'm using the TPLINK USB wifi so far able to connect to the internet but the iCloud/MAS/iMessage/FaceTime not working..

Hey Neil, how abt iCloud? is it working?
I'm using the TPLINK USB wifi so far able to connect to the internet but the iCloud/MAS/iMessage/FaceTime not working..

Yes iCloud and App Store work correctly. I don't use iMessage or FaceTime so those features have not been tested on this motherboard.

And I just ran all of the pending updates including the 10.8.5 Supplemental update. This system works very well and is completely stable as is. Sleeps and wakes from Sleep perfectly.

Using an add on card for WiFi can be problematic. If I recall correctly, you need to insure that the card loads up as "en0" and is seen by the system as an "AirPort Extreme" (use About the MAC, System Report, Network, WiFi panel).

Sorry that I can not be of more help.

Good modding,
neil

nielhart

A Big Thank You for your wonderful and insightful post, But I do have a question for clarity for the user community.

In your post you mention
In Win8, I opened a cmd window and pathed to the the download folder. I unzipped the file and then pathed to the unzipped file. I had previously downloaded the latest BIOS file for the motherboard so I copied the file to the location of the PMPatch.exe file. The arguments need are "pmpatch input.file output.file" See the screen capture.

I will assume that this program from CodeRush will work on Windows 7 as well. But is there a link to his posting at IM (Insanely Mac) that you can point us to so as to gather more information.

Also after you run PMPATCH it's not clear that this BIOS file that was generated is used / loaded into the MSI Motherboard and by what method. I am assuming that you did use the file, and did you have to rename the extension in-order to install this BIOS file.
I do see that you use as your output name the same file name but w a lowercase p added on.

Would the MSI Bios installer in Windows use this file to install the BIOS or do we need to move / rename the file.

Just a few Questions as I said ;)
and I as many other members here at TMX86 appreciate your work and dedication to the community.

As you say Happy Modding..

Tote

nielhart

A Big Thank You for your wonderful and insightful post, But I do have a question for clarity for the user community.

In your post you mention

I will assume that this program from CodeRush will work on Windows 7 as well. But is there a link to his posting at IM (Insanely Mac) that you can point us to so as to gather more information.

Also after you run PMPATCH it's not clear that this BIOS file that was generated is used / loaded into the MSI Motherboard and by what method. I am assuming that you did use the file, and did you have to rename the extension in-order to install this BIOS file.
I do see that you use as your output name the same file name but w a lowercase p added on.

Would the MSI Bios installer in Windows use this file to install the BIOS or do we need to move / rename the file.

Just a few Questions as I said ;)
and I as many other members here at TMX86 appreciate your work and dedication to the community.

As you say Happy Modding..

Tote

You can find the PMPatch thread at InsanelyMac in the OS86 Project in the Developers Corner.

While I do not use Window 8 much at all, I did use it because it is the only 64 bit MS Windows that I own and I had previous read that the Windows version of PMPatch was the one to use.

The output file that PMPatch generated had the same size as the input file. So I renamed the output file to the original file name, copied it to a FAT 32 formatted USB stick that was on a USB2 port immediately below the PS2 mouse/keyboard port. Rebooted, and entered the BIOS. M-Flash is a utility found in the the BIOS and is fairly point and click follow the on screen prompts to re-flash the BIOS with the patched version.

I was somewhat amazed that it was so easy and effective (meaning with the patched BIOS I could get into the OS X installer).

Later, I went back and reinstalled the original BIOS (as a sanity check) and attempted to load up the OS X installer and immediately hit the original problem. By then I was more daring and re-flashed to the patched BIOS without renaming it to the original name and the M-Flash utility does not care.

And because I am not a qualified Windows user, I can not respond to what you can do in Windows. I assume that you can flash the BIOS in that environment.

And one other observation about this hack: The key is the boot time arguments "ncpi=0x3000 PCIRootUID=0 dart=0" .

And thank you for the kind words. IMHO OS X is a great OS. Hacking hardware and running OS X is my hobby (meaning I don't make money doing this).

Good modding,
neil

Hi,

Sorry to be a noob but Im making one of these for my friends and I got it to work ok but it only seems to boot when I get GraphicsEnabler set to No. If I don't, it just gets stuck at "Dsmos has arrived". Is there something that I missed? Did you use any specific kexts for the hd 4600?

Edit: I got it working by just plugging it into my hdmi OMG IT IS AMAZING!!!!

Thanks,
Rohit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back