Contribute
Register

[Guide] OpenCore: how to update Big Sur 11.4 > Monterey Public Beta in Z390 Aorus Elite + RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated to Public Beta 2 with the same security options as in previous beta:
  • Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT): Disabled in BIOS
  • SecureBootModel=Disabled in config.plist
  • SIP enabled (csr-active-config=00000000 in config.plist)
  • Gatekeeper enabled (sudo spctl --master-enable in Terminal) in macOS.
Aside from the security requirements to install, the installation has been straightforward and the system appears to work very well.

Great guide. On my i9-9900k rig, I installed the current Monterey (beta 3) to a spare partition and was having some problems with the video displays not working. After a little pondering and rereading the light bulb went on! I was using older kexts. Installed all the current kexts, video problems went away, and everything so far is working okay. Sound, displays (two--both DP), etc. I left the system as a 19,1 as I am booting Big Sur, Mojave, and Windows along with Monterey. Wireless is fine (Fenvi T919), but blue tooth is giving me the same issues it always does--takes several attempts to get my iPhone connected.

Installation was a problem for me basically because of the older kexts I was using. I'm pretty sure it would have gone well if I had updated them first. Doh!

Thanks for all the great posts and guides. You've helped me figure out a lot of stuff and even more importantly, know what not to do. Thanks again.

@ajpwreng
The same happens to me. Bluetooth works fine with speaker and Apple keyboard but iPhone and iPad are only displayed in Finder sidebar if I connect them via USB cable.

Thanks as always for the great help. Just a note that might help some. Ever since Big Sur, I have to use my HDMI connection from graphics card as the DisplayPort seems to be recognized as a different display(?) and the mouse cursor reacts sluggishly. When I first installed Monterey the HDMI did not work only at initial boot and until I figured it out. I thought the install had failed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 10.09.15.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 10.09.15.png
    10.8 MB · Views: 156
Thanks as always for the great help. Just a note that might help some. Ever since Big Sur, I have to use my HDMI connection from graphics card as the DisplayPort seems to be recognized as a different display(?) and the mouse cursor reacts sluggishly. When I first installed Monterey the HDMI did not work only at initial boot and until I figured it out. I thought the install had failed.
In my case DisplayPort and HDMI both work well, video and audio.

Thanks for posting. I think I will try the MacPro7,1 setup instead of the iMac19,1. I'd really like to be able to use full video playback in safari.
Remember you can play Netflix - Prime Video by Chrome, but MacPro7,1 plays all this sites by Chrome or Safari and even TV app works.
RestrictEvents.kext is needed for MacPro7,1.

@wstrohm
I've tried both. Really I don't see a significant difference. I currently have off for several months.

So, now that it has been released, I tried updating from the beta to the official release. Had to find the App Store link ,and then it cued the download. I was having crashing in Monterey anyway (but not Big Sur), and it crashed during the install. Okay, fine, I booted my Big Sur and then tried to install onto that partition from Big Sur. All went well then after the restart, "Macintosh HD" will not boot. I confirmed the few settings needed to boot installer, like CSR, and SecureBootModel. I am now trying to create a USB installer and do it from there.
Will be happy to report on an effective way to go from beta to official. Although maybe if you don't have the crashing, you can update over the beta with the app store link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back