Contribute
Register

[Guide] [OpenCore] Dell Inspiron 17 5767 (i7-7500u)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad news, after the first 44 minute download, I presume, and the system reboots, instead of going to the next phase; the install process starts over from the beginning. I tried booting off the hard drive, but the system kicked it back to OpenCore, where clicking on the boot icon started the install form the beginning. This is BigSur using BaseSystem.dmg.
There should be another option like "Boot macOS installer from hard drive" when booting on OpenCore screen rather than "Boot macOS installer from USB"... You have to select it otherwise it will boot from USB restarting installation again

Yep, it helps to make sure that if you used a disk for another OS to make sure that target system disk is one partition that spans the disk and that it si AFTS. . After correctly partitioning the disk, the installer corrected booted the hard disk and went to the next phase. macOS may be based on UNIX, it does not mean its utilities act like UNIX or Linux. That is, software like fdisk and gdisk.

It is installed, and I am surprised how fast it is.

Other getting used to the touchpad, and turning off some Spotlight and touch pad search settings (popups every time you click on a line in terminal), it seems to be running. One item I did find, when the display goe sto sleep, you can't wake it up with the touch pad. I did turn off the Ethernet power settings under Battery, there was not "Energy Saving" in System Preferences.

The system is now booting from the hard disk proper; and it is as fast as Ubuntu when booting.

I am curious what happens if you do not disable CfgLock?

Also, i did try bluetooth, it sees my Samsung TV, but nothing else. Even though there is Bluetooth speaker less than two feet away. The scan seems to take a long time to find the TV, which si about 8 feet away.

One weird thing is when the display goes to sleep, it cannot be awaken. I did deactivate all the battery sleeping and hibernating options.

I have only just begun the post install process, which may address the small issues. I did skim over them.

I will say, despite not complete, this runs better than my 2017 vintage iMac.

It seems everything is working.

Speed is great especially with SSDs and 32GB of memory. Even faster after turning off malware noted below.

CleanMyMac claims that ComboJack installs a Trojan Virus that is used to mine crypto currencies. I ran Bitdefender and it did not find any issues with ComboJack. Apparently, CleanMyMac, based it on the image name "ComboJack", which is in /usr/local/sbin, and does not examine the file contents.Ironic that paid software is incorrectly flagging legitimate software. FYI, there is a ComboJack Trojan Virus, which does mine crypto currencies, but it is not the software needed to get your headphone jack to work.

I was able to get Bluetooth working and connect to an external Bluetooth speaker.

This works fine on WiFi, but I could not get Ethernet to connect to my network, even though the status indicates it is connected. Could be the cable Dell doe snot have the greatest Ethernet ports on an Inspiron 5767.

WIFI works most of the time, sometimes it drops (when idle or after or a few minutes after a reboot),and sometimes you have to turn it off and on to re-establishing a connection. It was very stable with doing a Big Sur 11.3 upgrade and doing a series of rsyncs.

Thanks to the magic of rsync, I was able to copy /Applications, /Library, /Private, and my user directory from my iMac. This was an alternative to using Migration Assistant, because I could not get Ethernet et working.

All installed apps are working. In a couple cases I had to reload ppp license keys. But, right now, my Insprion is a duplicate of my iMac.

Only thing left is dealing with CFG Lock.

By the way, this seems to work fine with Big Sur 11.3. I just completed the upgrade.

Last edited:
Turned off CFG LOck.

I went through the process outlined on the OpenCore site. Then came the point of actually making the chnage to turn off locking.

Then I found this:

Also, if you used the procedure outlined in following the install written by the author, he actually included the means to turn off CFG Lock in a matter of minutes, in the OpenBoot directory tree and boot screen.

On the OpenBoot scree, after the OpenCore Boot, macOS System Disk, maybe a second OS boot Disk, and the macOS Recovery Disk are three more icons. One that runs a shell, one that gives you the status of CFG Lock and one to Reset NVRAM.

Enter the shell, type FS0: at the prompt and hen go to the Tool directory.

shell> FS0:
shell> cd EFI\OC\Tools
shell>

To check CFG Lock

Just type: ControlMsrE2.efi

The last line will indicated if CFG Lock is LOCKED or UNLOCKED

If LOCKED, type: ControlMsrE2.efi unlock

After execution, you will be told to reboot, for the new setting to take effect.

After rebooting, go to the icon to the right of the shell icon on the OpenCore boot menu.

If CFG Lock indicates UNLOCKED. then the change succeeded, then go ahead and boot the macOS.

Remember, after booting up macOS, to follow the procedure to mount the macOS System Disk EFI partition, and turn off the two Apple CFG Lock related parameters in config.plist, as mentioned in the documentation. Reboot. And, now you have a Dell Inspiron 5767 running just like a native Intel Mac.

Everything now works as if it is a native iMac. It is running Big Sur 11.3 (update went without any issues); now 11.3.1 and it also works fine.

I had a sound issue, which was fixed, but setting the balance about 1/8 of the way right of center. If I didn't there were drops outs on multi-channel recordings, but not MIDI files converted to MP3 format. I gather the sound card, Big Sur 11.3, and OpenCore combined has played a role in why the balance setting actually works. YouTube videos and the MP3 files I tried seem to work fine. Also, good sound going to an external Bluetooth speaker.

Update: I found the tool called Audio MIDI Setup. set the slid bars all to "1.0" for input and output.I was able to set the balance, under sound to the center. Everything works. Update to Big Sur 11.3.1 altered the settings, so i hd to set them back to "1.0".

And, now that I did fix sound, AirPlay works great on both my TV and Roku 4k Stick (cat teh screen and just cast audio).apple macos sound tool keyboard icon

One weirdness, WiFi sometimes cuts out.

Other weirdness, I found a black screensaver, so at least I have a screensaver that eventually makes the screen blank. I set both power adapter and battery to never turn off the screen; letting the screensaver itself, under Display, to handle that duty. Keeping any form of power off active, will not wake up the screen.

Whatever the case, my Inspiron 5767 is running macOS, with 32 GB of memory, and two SSD Crucial drives, much better than my iMac with 8GB of memory (no upgrade capability), with an external USB 3.0 connected SSD drive. I bought a new laptop, and the Inspiron became a spare. FYI, it runs macOs better than it runs Windows 10, but equal to when I had Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on it.

I hope folks find my additional notes useful.

Last edited:
hi, i have a dell inspiron 5567 laptop, i have followed the whole process and everything seems to work.
but when I boot and open the open core it stays on the black screen with the apple logo.
after two hours it remains the same, no loading bar appears or anything

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-07-29 at 1.36.01 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-29 at 1.36.01 PM.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back