ASUS P8P67-LE
CPU
i5-2400
Graphics
GTX 550TI
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
[GUIDE] On-board Audio for ALC662 Mountain Lion 10.8.

See end of page 2 for simple kext install for 10.8.2

• Back up your current AppleHDA.kext!
    If something goes wrong make sure you have a way to get into your system and replace any kexts that have been damaged/replace DSDT.
  • Patch AppleHDA binary
    This is done through terminal. When you type the first command, your password will be asked for as confirmation to proceed. As you type it will not appear on the screen, when finished press enter and the password will be accepted. Now do the second command.

Command 1
    Code:
    sudo perl -pi -e 's|x85x08xecx10|x62x06xecx10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

Command 2
    Code:
    sudo perl -pi -e 's|x84x08xecx10|x00x00x00x00|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA
  • Make the correct edits to your DSDT
    Your DSDT should contain the following HDEF section.

Code:
                Device (HDEF)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)   
                    Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Return (Package (0x02)
                        {
                            0x0D, 
                            0x05
                        })
                    }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x04)
                            {
                                "layout-id", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x0c, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                                Buffer (Zero) {}
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }
  • Install ALC662HDA.kext
    With the mentioned .kext on your desktop, run KextBeast, enter your password and the kext shall be installed. You can repair permissions/run KextUtility now or wait until after the next step.
  • Copy files to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/
    In the attached .zip folder there are two files, layout12.xml.zlib and Platform.xml.zlib - these two files need to be placed inside the above directory. I find the easiest way is to navigate to S/L/E and scroll down to AppleHDA.kext, right click and select 'Show Contents'.
    24706d1342532204-guide-board-audio-alc-662-lion-10-7-x-screen-shot-2012-07-17-14.36.01.png

You will now see a folder called Contents and inside that you will see Resources. Copy and paste the files into here, you will be asked for your password again.

The other option is to do this via Terminal using the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo cp /[B]where the file is[/B]/layout12.xml.zlib /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/
    Code:
    sudo cp /[B]where the file is[/B]/Platform.xml.zlib /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/
  • Repair permissions and restart
    Now is the time to rebuild that cache using KextUtility or running repair permissions. Once done, restart your build and you should be enjoying on-board audio with ALC 662 audio codec without the need for enablers.

Disclaimer: The method I used was put together by VCH888 over at InsanelyMac, I am only re-doing it in a clear way for the benefit of this Community! All credit goes to the original people. Anyone interested in the original thread, search for "ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic".
VCH888 said:
Thanks and credits to:
THe KiNG, stickpin, Kabyl, karaakeha1, MadTux, Taruga, OcciJano, MaLd0n, toleda, janek202, RevoGirl and everyone (will be listed if I remember) who published tools, kexts, information, and hints.

Any questions, post away!

Attachments

• ALC662 Audio for ML.zip
    16 KB · Views: 3,915
Last edited by a moderator:
Just realised, I posted my previous guide in:
Forum → The Build → Post-Installation → Audio

Would a mod please be able to move this there if that would be more relevant?

It deals with ML 10.8 so it should be easy to locate within this forum subsection.

Hi, if i dont have a DSDT what i can do, i try to install the kext but nothing happen.

I have followed the instructions and I'm still having trouble getting audio to work. I successfully (I think; there were no errors) patched my AppleHDA.kext -- both the binary and the layout files. Both ALC662HDA.kext and AppleHDA.kext are loaded at boot. My DSDT contains the required HDEF edit and compiled with no errors or warnings.

Is there anything else I can try?

EDIT: Attached is my DSDT.aml file if it helps.

EDIT2: As a temporary solution, I have audio working with VoodooHDA 2.7.3, but I'd still love to get proper AppleHDA support going for this ALC662 chipset.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 378
Hello, everyone.

I'm running a Foxconn G41MD with an Intel E7400 (2.8 GHz, overclocked @ 3.37 GHz)
OS is 10.8.2, edited DSDT and SSDT and I just cannot get my audio to work.

Previously I had it working with VoodooHDA but since I took the time to go into the DSDT and edit everything, I thought I wanted to do it with AppleHDA.
So far I've tried every solution; new or old that I've come across and none has worked.

Here's what I have so far, hoping somebody can help me:

Using AppleHDA.kext patched by nyolc8, ALC662.kext and vanilla layout12.xml.zlib and platform.xml.zlib (I tried using the ones in this guide but my sound preferences turned out empty)

Attached are:

My DSDT
Screenshots of my System Information and Sound Preferences with the current setting
My Codec Dump from Ubuntu 12.04.

Thank you very much in advance!

Attachments

• card0_codec2.txt
    10.2 KB · Views: 370
  • devices.jpg
    devices.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 939
  • dsdt.aml
    24.7 KB · Views: 304
  • intel hd.jpg
    intel hd.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 776
  • sound_prefs.png
    sound_prefs.png
    55 KB · Views: 896
Testing to see if I get audio or testing to see if there's something wrong with the port?

If 1, I have no speakers so it's the only way I do it.
If 2, It was working in Ubuntu, 30 mins ago.

Yeah, testing to see if you get audio. If the headphone port works in Ubuntu and you're only using the headphone port, try plugging your headphones into the line out port in the back and see if you get audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back