Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] OC Monterey Z590I Gigabyte VISION D + i9 11900K + AMD RX6600

Hi @Middleman — your system is very similar to mine — the main difference being that I have an RX580 which I think should make things a little simpler. I'm on Big Sur and everything's stable, but am thinking about trying Ventura.

Are you thinking of trying it out?
Actually mine is already running with it. It's quite simple. Just use my latest EFI, update it to OC 0.8.5 including Airportitlwm (Ventura stable) and then add 22.99.99 to Kernel > Emulate > Max Kernel.

Actually mine is already running with it. It's quite simple. Just use my latest EFI, update it to OC 0.8.5 including Airportitlwm (Ventura stable) and then add 22.99.99 to Kernel > Emulate > Max Kernel.

Very nice, and thanks for being so generous with sharing all your work! Are you using Airportitlwm 2.2.0-alpha then? I was treading carefully until it was past alpha, but if it's working for you that would be encouraging.

Also, since I'm not using the RX6600, I'm thinking I maybe should remove some of the pieces you've used to get it working. I think you mentioned SSDT-BRG, SSDT-XSPI and a couple of kexts. Is there anything else I've missed?

@nikko20040,

Just informing you and others I have made some changes to the EFI for this board. In addition to the update to OC 0.8.4, Bluetooth for the Intel AX200 has finally been fixed (with IntelBTPatcher) and there is no more lag on login for the RX6600 display.

It may also be worth your time to try this new EFI because of the roughly 10% IPC performance uplift thanks to vit9696's findings on Z590 frequency vector injections using CPUFriend. I am now achieving average score of 9879 vs around 8200 before. FYI I am also using iMac20,2 on the build which I found works better than iMacPro1,1.
Hi @Middleman - apologies, I've only just seen your message. As everything is running smoothly (touch wood), I'm reluctant to change anything but I'll try it out on my test rig to see how it goes. Keep you posted. Did I miss a link to the EFI somewhere?
Have you flashed the BIOS to the most recent release of F?
As a separate matter the update to Ventura has been seamless, I updated to OC 0.8.5 then it all went smoothly from Monterey, not a clean install but did clean install the test rig.

Are you using the built in wifi/ bluetooth card? And it all works? I have the same build expect im using a 6900xt. Will give your EFI a try. Where you able to fix TB hot plug not working?
Yes using the same WiFi/BT card and yes it all works. You’ll need to also add latest IntelBTPatcher.kext from OpenIntelWireless Github for Monterey builds for BT to work on top of BluetoolFixup and IntelBluetoothFirmware. For the TB yes, just enable SSDT-DTPG.aml and SSDT-TB3HP.aml. For the 6900XT just remember to change the dGPU device-id to BF730000.

Im a bit of a newb, where do I change the dGPU device-id? Is that in the config plist?I was able to tweak the config file so that the 6900xt is recognized in system info, and stat menus.

Your EFI works freaking awesome!

I was wondering if you know why i cant dual boot into windows? I get a blank screen when trying to boot into windows.

I also noticed the cpu temps dont seem to be working right in istat menus? All i can find is something about using fakeSMC, but nothing else. I dont think thats whats wrong.

Sorry for all the questions :(

Thanks for posting this! I was using another EFI that didn't even come close to being as good as yours.

Last edited:
Im a bit of a newb, where do I change the dGPU device-id? Is that in the config plist?I was able to tweak the config file so that the 6900xt is recognized in system info, and stat menus.

Your EFI works freaking awesome!

I was wondering if you know why i cant dual boot into windows? I get a blank screen when trying to boot into windows.

I also noticed the cpu temps dont seem to be working right in istat menus? All i can find is something about using fakeSMC, but nothing else. I dont think thats whats wrong.

Sorry for all the questions :(

Thanks for posting this! I was using another EFI that didn't even come close to being as good as yours.
I'm here to ask some questions of my own, but which version of Windows are you trying to use? Bear in mind that 11 requires various secure boot and TPM related settings, where 10 doesn't. i.e. some of the generally recommended BIOS settings for hackintoshing can bork Windows 11, which is maybe the problem? I'm just beginning to prepare for doing a z590i build for my wife and she'll have zero interest in running windows so I haven't investigated further.

FakeSMC has been replaced on Opencore with VirtualSMC for quite a long time now - you need the SMCProcessor and SMCSuperIO as well for a desktop - the other things relate to laptop sensors I think.

I'm here to ask some questions of my own, but which version of Windows are you trying to use? Bear in mind that 11 requires various secure boot and TPM related settings, where 10 doesn't. i.e. some of the generally recommended BIOS settings for hackintoshing can bork Windows 11, which is maybe the problem? I'm just beginning to prepare for doing a z590i build for my wife and she'll have zero interest in running windows so I haven't investigated further.

FakeSMC has been replaced on Opencore with VirtualSMC for quite a long time now - you need the SMCProcessor and SMCSuperIO as well for a desktop - the other things relate to laptop sensors I think.
I'm using windows 10, BIOS settings are the same as the EFI i've attached of the build i was following before I found yours.

Im using your EFI you posted which I checked and has all the kexts you listed. Could it be something in the config I need to adjust to get the right CPU temps to show?

Attachments

• Gigabyte-Z590i-Vision-D-11900k-26.zip
    16.3 MB · Views: 32
So having recently upgraded my hackintosh on an ATX board (z490 Tomahawk + 10400 + 5700xt) which I'm writing this on. I'm about to start on an upgraded hackintosh for my wife using a z590i Vision D and a 10100 with an RX 580 and I'm doing a bit of research before I dive in.

She's disabled and has been using her "White Pro" (see sig) for many years as, in general, Apple's accessibility options make life easier for her, especially in conjunction with her iphone and ipad. My point is that reliability is more important than performance - for e.g. she's unlikely to ever use Thunderbolt so if switching it off in BIOS makes for a more reliable board, I'll opt for disabling it over trying to make it work and risking her experiencing glitches. What do you think?

All she really does is browsing, streaming from our media server, other streaming services and all the iCloud, iMessage stuff.

I'll be going through the Dortania guide very methodically, as I've done many times previously, but just wanted to ask:
1) What to watch out for with a 10th gen cpu on this particular z590i board? My guess is that it'll simplify things for the most part, though a z490 board would have been simpler still - just couldn't find one at a sensible price.

2) If I were to experiment with the EFI attached to this thread, I'm pretty sure there'll be so much to get rid of, given different much lower performance CPU, barely used GPU and intended use case, are there any of the SSDT's I really should grab anyway? Which are motherboard specific versus CPU and GPU specific? I'll have SSDT-AWAC.aml , SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml, SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA.aml and SSDT-RHUB.aml as I think they're the defaults Dortania recommends for Comet lake.

Thanks to Middleman for the guide - I'll be studying it as I proceed, but I'm a bit leary of using other people's EFI's unless motherboard, CPU and GPU are identical of course. Just don't want to be stupidly purist about it if it can save me some hassle.

I'm using windows 10, BIOS settings are the same as the EFI i've attached of the build i was following before I found yours.

Im using your EFI you posted which I checked and has all the kexts you listed. Could it be something in the config I need to adjust to get the right CPU temps to show?
I'm not the OP so it's not my EFI - maybe Middleman will respond to your post but I'm certainly no expert in how to make this board work! Just here to learn myself. I did take a quick look at your EFI and you don't have the extra kexts that work alongside VirtualSMC that you need to connect to sensors which is why you have weird CPU temps being reported.
Also other people have reported that iMac 20,x is often better than MacPro SMBIOS for this board. No idea about Windows sorry.

Back