Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] OC Monterey Z590I Gigabyte VISION D + i9 11900K + AMD RX6600

Hi,
sorry for the dumb question..
will the Z590 VISION D (not Z590I) be used anyway ?
will it work ?

Tks in advance
Fabrizio
Hi there,

Yes you most certainly can try. There is no 'real' distinct difference between the two boards (they are the same in essence) so this EFI build will work. Only that the Z590I doesn't have an HDMI out.
For the Z590 yes it can boot macOS but you must have a compatible dedicated graphics card like AMD 5500XT/5700XT, Radeon RX580, RX6600 (for Monterey) or RX6800/RX6900XT as the internal Intel IGPU from Rocket Lake ie. 11500/11700K/11900K is not supported. But if you have Comet Lake chip ie. 10500K/10900K that should work.

I believe something has happened to my graphics card for this system. Other than the boot or verbose mode the RX6600 doesn't seem to show any login screens whether I use Windows or macOS. I think something on it may have fried.

So an update on the GPU card issue. I pulled the RX6600 out of the Z590I and put it into the B550 Vision D to test early today - it worked fine on that system. So I put it back into the Z590I case, re-ran my tests and...it surprisingly booted and worked fine in both Windows and macOS without issue. In fact the card was performing at its best on Monterey so far with no sudden blank screens and smooth continuous runs with the screensaver. So I assume it was something maybe that was loose that caused the problem? I guess reseating the card somehow had helped.

On a separate (but surprising) note, I found while testing the card with Unigine Heaven on both machines that the RX6600 performs quicker on the i9 Rocket Lake (Z590I) setup than on the Ryzen 5900X (B550) setup. On the i9 system I got 500FPS on average performance (an extra 150 frames per second at peak) than on the 5900X with the RX6600. It's a pleasant surprise as I had assumed the Ryzen 5900X system to be a lot faster.

So an update on the GPU card issue. I pulled the RX6600 out of the Z590I and put it into the B550 Vision D to test early today - it worked fine on that system. So I put it back into the Z590I case, re-ran my tests and...it surprisingly booted and worked fine in both Windows and macOS without issue. In fact the card was performing at its best on Monterey so far with no sudden blank screens and smooth continuous runs with the screensaver. So I assume it was something maybe that was loose that caused the problem? I guess reseating the card somehow had helped.

On a separate (but surprising) note, I found while testing the card with Unigine Heaven on both machines that the RX6600 performs quicker on the i9 Rocket Lake (Z590I) setup than on the Ryzen 5900X (B550) setup. On the i9 system I got 500FPS on average performance (an extra 150 frames per second at peak) than on the 5900X with the RX6600. It's a pleasant surprise as I had assumed the Ryzen 5900X system to be a lot faster.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I watch this thread with great interest as I have a Z590i Vision D, i5-11500, RX6600 build. Initially when I installed the RX6600 to replace RX570 what I thought would be plug and play but it wasn't.
So far the best performance is with device properties, device-id FF31002, shikigva 128 and ensuring I have boot args with agdpmod=pikera.
I'm still looking for stability improvements as the machine can hang a bit at times.
Interesting to see the difference between the Ryzen and Intel rigs, my understanding the PCIe lanes should be very similar.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I watch this thread with great interest as I have a Z590i Vision D, i5-11500, RX6600 build. Initially when I installed the RX6600 to replace RX570 what I thought would be plug and play but it wasn't.
So far the best performance is with device properties, device-id FF31002, shikigva 128 and ensuring I have boot args with agdpmod=pikera.
I'm still looking for stability improvements as the machine can hang a bit at times.
Interesting to see the difference between the Ryzen and Intel rigs, my understanding the PCIe lanes should be very similar.
I see, good for you! It is a great little system... :thumbup:

Well about the stability improvements, I had found using the following settings may help somewhat:

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 6.38.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 6.40.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-08 at 6.41.41 AM.png

Under Monterey 12.4 I found removing the device-id actually helped but adding the CFG,CFG_USE_AGDC value above helped a lot. For the IGPU I use 03009BC5 for the i9 but for i5 it should be 03009BC8. Then for the GPU I also added the two kexts for the card - RadeonSensor.kext and SMCRadeonGPU.kext, with the CPUID spoofed to Comet Lake.

FYI if it helps for my boot-args I currently use -v alcid=1 keepsyms=1 agdpmod=pikera -lilubetaall -no_compat_check amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 swd_panic=1

Back