Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] OC 10.13.6 Z490 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme + Core i5 10400 / i9 11900K + Nvidia GTX 1060

Hi Doublejo,

I think you can with this selection, but you may find difficulty enabling the IGPU on Rocket Lake. Even the Opencore team has confirmed it had difficulties with this. > https://dortania.github.io/hackintosh/updates/2021/04/24/rocket-lake.html

It can be paired however with a dGPU. My recommendation is go for AMD anything from RX5500/5700 to RX6800/RX6900. Mojave should run if a Comet Lake CPUID is used.
Thank you very much for your answer,

Finally, i have a Gigabyte z590 vision D and an i5 11600k, i will just disable the igpu for now and use my old rx 470, i want to buy a nvidia gpu and i know it will not work.

I was wondering if it is hard to disable the igpu to use only the rx 470 and also use only the 3080 on windows

Just wanted to let everyone know I believe I’ve found a bug with this boards latest EFI build. If you plan to use Monterey you must use at least OC 0.6.6 and add in the RTC fix as per the Dortania guide, otherwise the system will resort to rebooting itself a few minutes shortly after logging in.

Just wanted to let everyone know I believe I’ve found a bug with this boards latest EFI build. If you plan to use Monterey you must use at least OC 0.6.6 and add in the RTC fix as per the Dortania guide, otherwise the system will resort to rebooting itself a few minutes shortly after logging in.
and replace the unsupported Nvidia GTX1060 (as per guide title)

Dear Middleman, your guide inspired me to install HS on my system, even though my mainboard is slightly different - it's a Z490 UD. Based on Acidanthera's WEG guide, I used Kabylake platform and device IDs to get QuickSync to work.

Unfortunately, onboard audio just won't show up in the list of available outputs even though it is detected in IOReg. DP audio from my Nvidia 1080 works. With VoodooHDA, onboard audio works but then I lose DP audio, which isn't acceptable.

What procedure have you used to make onboard audio available and what can I do to fix it on my system?

Attachments

• PR files.zip
    397.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Dear Middleman, your guide inspired me to install HS on my system, even though my mainboard is slightly different - it's a Z490 UD. Based on Acidanthera's WEG guide, I used Kabylake platform and device IDs to get QuickSync to work.

Unfortunately, onboard audio just won't show up in the list of available outputs even though it is detected in IOReg. DP audio from my Nvidia 1080 works. With VoodooHDA, onboard audio works but then I lose DP audio, which isn't acceptable.

What procedure have you used to make onboard audio available and what can I do to fix it on my system?
Sorry for the delay, I had somehow totally missed your post!

Regarding your query, I just used the standard AppleALC kext with alcid=7. I also added layout-id of 07000000 & device-id of 70A10000 under PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3). That should be more than sufficient to run it. But you will need to lookup for the alcid layout id of your Realtek ALC887 used in your Z490 UD board.

Thanks Middleman! It is a tough nut to crack indeed. I tried the values you provided, but didn't get onboard audio to show up in sound settings (DP audio is still fine). My Catalina install on the same hardware (different boot drive) fully works with the config as per screenshot. Strangely, IOReg shows the layout-id to be 07000000 even though I specified 01000000 in the config.plist. IOReg also shows a device ID of C8060000 in the working Catalina configuration, but using this value in my HS config doesn't do the trick.

I compared the IOReg from the working Catalina install with the High Sierra version and mainly see a difference in device IDs. What can I do to make it work? The mainboard audio device does show up in IOReg...

Attachments

• Catalina.jpg
    Catalina.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Catalina settings.jpg
    Catalina settings.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 40
  • High Sierra.jpg
    High Sierra.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 42
Thanks Middleman! It is a tough nut to crack indeed. I tried the values you provided, but didn't get onboard audio to show up in sound settings (DP audio is still fine). My Catalina install on the same hardware (different boot drive) fully works with the config as per screenshot. Strangely, IOReg shows the layout-id to be 07000000 even though I specified 01000000 in the config.plist. IOReg also shows a device ID of C8060000 in the working Catalina configuration, but using this value in my HS config doesn't do the trick.

I compared the IOReg from the working Catalina install with the High Sierra version and mainly see a difference in device IDs. What can I do to make it work? The mainboard audio device does show up in IOReg...
I see. Well in that case, to make it work try to make sure no other audio device has a device-id in the Device Properties field, including on the actual ALC device itself - you can only specify one or the other (ie. alcid or device-id) but not both at the same time. Also the SMBIOS for HS should be something like iMac18,3 whereas on Catalina it can be iMacPro1,1 or iMac20,1. Should also add a layout-id if not present in HS. Alcid=1 is probably the most common setting, but you could lookup and see if it requires an alternative layout-id. Lookup the table on the Dortania guide.

Thank you. I had 18,3 for HS vs 20,1 for Catalina. Tried various iterations of layout-ids, the final one in the screenshot. The highlighted one is Dortania's recommendation for Kabylake CPUs, but it made no apparent difference whether it was present or not.

I noticed that the layout ID of HDEF always stays at 07000000, only the alc-layout-id can be changed by config.plist - although it made no difference whether it was set to 1, 5, or 7. Boot-args of alcid=1 (or 5 or 7) didn't bring onboard audio to life either - which puzzles me as in Catalina it works with alcid=1.

I've attached PR files to show the current state - do you see anything in there that can be changed to fix this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 01.25.35.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 01.25.35.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 40
  • EssentialsList-2021-11-07 01.35.31.zip
    397.5 KB · Views: 34
Just noticed you have an error in the HS config.plist. I think you should remove the alc-layout-id then change the remaining layout-id to 01000000. Make sure alcid=1 is also removed.

Back