Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] OC 10.13.6 Z490 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme + Core i5 10400 / i9 11900K + Nvidia GTX 1060

Hello middleman, do you think i can have the same result with a

Gigabyte Z590 VISION D ? (it's more my budget for my now haha)​

i want to use mojave with this motherboard and an i5 11600k, i don't know for the gpu for now, i will see

Hello middleman, do you think i can have the same result with a

Gigabyte Z590 VISION D ? (it's more my budget for my now haha)​

i want to use mojave with this motherboard and an i5 11600k, i don't know for the gpu for now, i will see
Hi Doublejo,

I think you can with this selection, but you may find difficulty enabling the IGPU on Rocket Lake. Even the Opencore team has confirmed it had difficulties with this. > https://dortania.github.io/hackintosh/updates/2021/04/24/rocket-lake.html

It can be paired however with a dGPU. My recommendation is go for AMD anything from RX5500/5700 to RX6800/RX6900. Mojave should run if a Comet Lake CPUID is used.

Not long ago, it was said that it was impossible to boot a Z490 based 11-gen system on High Sierra, and it was also said that it could not run Opencore. Well folks, this is the guide you've all been waiting for! This system is both High Sierra AND Mojave compatible!

View attachment 508825

View attachment 508813

View attachment 508814

View attachment 508815
View attachment 508816

View attachment 508817
View attachment 508818

View attachment 508822
View attachment 508909
View attachment 508823
View attachment 509084

View attachment 508819

View attachment 508820

View attachment 508821

View attachment 510479

Background to the system
My main Z68 Asus system at home for gaming and work was getting a bit long in the tooth, and I wanted an upgrade to the latest available equipment (to handle Cyberpunk 2077 and the like), as well as have it set up with all the bells and whistles of RGB lighting. Instead of settling for a mid-range board this time I decided to settle on a top-end Z490 board from Gigabyte - specifically the Z490 Aorus Xtreme, which is an extremely high-specced motherboard that comes with Thunderbolt 3 as well as PCIe 4.0 support. As the PCIe 4.0 compatible CPUs weren't yet available from Intel at the time of writing, I'd decided to settle on a low-end Core i5 10400 to run the system until the 11th gen CPUs were available.

Initially I'd wanted to use a smaller case such as Thermaltake 20MT - but found out as the Xtreme uses an E-ATX sized board, I had to find a larger case as it is too small. I'd then found a Thermaltake 20GT ARGB - but saw this option was not available where I was based, so I had to settle for the next best model which was the 20GT RGB Plus.

I did not expect it, but the 20GT RGB Plus is a huge case, and with tempered glass all round, it is also one of the heaviest I've yet owned (at 20kg). It comes with its own RGB controller as well as a small set of RGB fans. It is also well built. This time I'd decided on spending a bit more on the furnishings of the system, so I decided on a 70% Thermaltake 30% Gigabyte mix, buying most of my parts from both brands. I sourced the fans, motherboard and all other parts from local dealers including the Gigabyte 1TB copper-plated PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD and Thermaltake RGB 32GB Toughram (which can be controlled by software).

For the graphics card, I originally wanted the Nvidia GTX 3080 for this setup. But as I couldn't get hold of one, decided to settle on a GTX 1060 6GB card which I carried over from the previous system. I'd wanted to be able to run both Windows and macOS so had two NVMes installed into the board's 2/3 NVMe slots.

View attachment 508910

I specifically wanted to run High Sierra on the system - mainly because I had my Nvidia card and didn't want to lose any compatibility with it. Luckily my GTX 1060 is a Pascal card so it has the full compatibility.

The installation took roughly about 2 weeks to build on and off. I first routed and cleanly installed all the necessary power and signalling cables for the PSU, fans and motherboard, then began to install the fans and finally SSD drives and graphics card. For the fans I connected most of them to a central TT USB controller, which was then connected to the mainboard for full syncing.

View attachment 508911

I then installed Windows from a USB onto the Gigabyte NVMe, then later set up macOS on the Samsung NVMe.

For the RGB software in Windows I used TT's own RGB Sync software for the RAM as well as Gigabyte's AORUS controller software, and NZXT's CPU monitoring software.

(A note for Samsung users - if you want to install macOS onto the 970 Evo NVMe, it would be wise to update the firmware with Samsung Magician first before installing macOS onto it).

View attachment 508826
COMPONENTS
Other tools needed
  • 2 x 16GB USB Keys (for Unibeast & Windows 10)
  • Spare Hackintosh/Mac (for editing if necessary)
  • USB 3.0 external slot drive (for copying/editing files and data)
  • Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner (for cloning drives)
  • Windows 10 installation on spare SSD/HD or NVMe drive (optional)
  • A copy of MountEFI https://github.com/corpnewt/MountEFI
  • A copy of Opencore Configurator
  • A copy of Clover Configurator

What works

NVMe detection and bootup
Nvidia Web Graphics Driver & Intel GPU
USB 3.1, 3.0 & 2.0 (hot-plugging and eject on USB 3.1 works)
Full sound with volume adjustment and digital out
Full screen 1040P
Video playback
Graphics acceleration
Thunderbolt 3
VDA Decoding
WiFi

What doesn't

2.5GBe & 10GBe Ethernet (both ports)
VDA Decoding

SETUP

Making USB bootable installer:

Getting a copy of macOS High Sierra:
If you have a Windows only system you can follow this guide to make a bootable USB stick
but download High Sierra:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-usb-installer-using-opencore.296375/

If you have a Mac, you can grab a copy of macOS using this script and running it in Terminal:
https://github.com/corpnewt/gibMacOS

Most of the following instructions were run on a Mac:

To run script, right-click gibMacOS.command and select Open.

When you run the script it will show you a list of available downloads. You must select the 'full install' of High Sierra 10.13.6

Once it has downloaded you need to create the Mojave installer on the USB. To do this type this in Terminal:

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Once it's done, you'll need to copy the following attached EFI folder onto your USB stick's bootable EFI partition. The file is a ZIP so must be decompressed first.

First you must run MountEFI to mount the USB's EFI partition. Right-click to open MountEFI.command script and then select your USB's number in the Terminal list. Type in your password, and your EFI root directory will appear in your Finder. Select the EFI partition and drag the EFI folder you downloaded into root.

You'll need to then run Opencore Configurator (right-click to Open) to add in your unique system UUID and board serials. So select the config.plist under /EFI/OC/config.plist and edit it.

Go to PlatformInfo on the left, and select Datahub - Generic - PlatformNVRAM tab on the top. Select generate underneath the UUID field on the right. It should create a unique system UUID key. You'll need to also do this for your system Serial Number and MLB field keys on the left. If your Serial Number or Board ID doesn't generate, you'll need to get a copy from Clover Configurator. Simply run Clover Configurator, go to the SMBIOS section, select the Mac model using the arrows key on the bottom right corner highlighting iMac18,3 and then simply copy the Serial Number on the left to Serial Number in Opencore, Board Serial Number on the right to MLB in Opencore Configurator, and the ROM value to the two ROM value fields in Opencore Configurator. What you should end up with is something looking like this. Then Save the file.

View attachment 508827

Make sure the top half of Databub section on top does NOT contain a UUID key or any other keys.

Preparing the BIOS:

To make macOS bootable you'll need to make it Hackintosh-friendly.

Boot into BIOS and change to the following settings:

AHCI Mode
VT-d disabled
Above 4GB Decoding Enabled
CSM Disabled
TPM Disabled
Secure Boot disabled
UEFI Boot Mode

Installing macOS

I have included and added the relevant OC build and patches and updates to the attached EFI folder.
The EFI contains the following SSDTs, drivers and kexts derived from VectorSeven's OCHack EFI and CaseySJ's Z490 build:

SSDTs:
SSDT-AWAC.aml
SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
SSDT-PLUG.aml
SSDT-TB3.aml
SSDT-UIAC.aml

Drivers:
HfsPlus.efi
OpenCanopy.efi
OpenRuntime.efi

Kexts:
AirportBrcmFixup.kext
AppleALC.kext
FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext
FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V.kext
FakePCIID.kext
HibernationFixup.kext
itlwm.kext
Lilu.kext
SMCProcessor.kext
SMCSuperIO.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
VirtualSMC.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

Thanks to VectorSeven for the hard work of configurating files for the Z490 and High Sierra.

(UPDATE)

Why does this EFI setup work for High Sierra & Mojave?

I had a look through some of VectorSeven's config.plist settings compared to a typical OC list, and comparing the settings I think it works because part of it uses CPU spoofing along with a compatible SMBIOS for High Sierra/Mojave.
This is equivalent to setting the FakeCPUID in Clover. In the Kernel, he had originally used the value EB060800 for a Kaby Lake system, but I changed it to EA060900 (for Coffee Lake), and used a SMBIOS of iMac18,3 instead. There were many other settings, with some lines even missing from the config.plist. I have since restored them according to the Dortania guide. The only four settings that have not been changed are EnableWriteUnProtector=Yes, AppleDebug=No, PickerMode=External, and Keyswap=Yes. But I think the key change was definitely the CPUID spoofing, which allowed the system to boot.

(UPDATE: April 6th 2021)

I have updated the EFI file with the latest AppleALC, Lilu and Whatevergreen but retaining Opencore 0.6.5. Full internal sound output including SPDIF now properly works in High Sierra. The configuration also works with Intel's 11th gen Rocket Lake cpus. I have upgraded my Core i5 10400 to an i9 11900K, and confirmed the system works in High Sierra. To use you must disable the UHD750 IGPU in BIOS.

The EFI settings also works with Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur. In Hacktintools the system reports Rocket Lake to use Comet Lake modules. However VDAdecoding functionality has disappeared with this upgrade.

(UPDATE: April 20th 2021)

Alright, just thought I'd update you guys on some progress I've made. I have been working on this build recently and with the latest Big Sur and Opencore updates I have managed to get it updated to the latest 11.3 with OC 0.6.8. and corrected some issues I'd before.

The setup can now boot with most macOS including High Sierra, Catalina and latest version of Big Sur. Here are some of the highlights so far:

BIOS - updated to latest F20 for Z490 Aorus Xtreme
Comet Lake & Rocket Lake CPU compatible

High Sierra 10.13.6 & Catalina 10.15.7

- ACPIs corrected, HS build now fully working
- OC 0.6.5. bootloader
- iGPU can now be enabled in BIOS
- Working Aquantia 10Gbe port
- Working Intel AX201 WiFi6
- Coffee Lake CPUID CPU & GPU configuration (no VDA decoding yet)
- Intel IGPU detected in macOS, no Intel Quicksync
- Nvidia Pascal fully working on High Sierra, limited VESA support on Catalina
- Booting from Thunderbolt now possible

Big Sur 11.3

- ACPIs corrected
- OC 0.6.8 bootloader
- iGPU can now be enabled in BIOS
- Working Aquantia 10Gbe port
- Working Intel 2.5GBe port via vit9696's patch
- Working Intel AX201 WiFi6
- Intel IGPU detected in macOS, no Intel Quicksync
- Comet Lake CPUID CPU & GPU configuration (no VDA decoding yet)
- Limited Nvidia VESA support on Big Sur
- Booting from Thunderbolt now possible
- USB ports mapped with USB Port

(UPDATE: June 27th 2021)

The EFI has now been updated to Opencore 0.6.8. for Big Sur 11.4 and is also Monterey compatible. I have made 3 separate EFI files for anyone looking to use them. They are split into:

Big Sur 11.4 Intel IGPU only
Big Sur 11.4 Intel IGPU headless+Nvidia dGPU
Big Sur 11.4 Intel IGPU headless+AMD dGPU

These new EFIs should work for both the Comet Lake CPUs and Rocket Lake CPUs (under CPUID spoofing of Comet Lake).

If you are using an i5 10500 Comet Lake to boot on the system, you will need to change the AAPL,ig-platform-id for the Intel IGPU to 00009BC8 and device-id to 9BC80000. If you have a dGPU attached you must use the dGPU EFI and change the AAPL,ig-platform-id to 03009BC8 and device-id to 9BC8000.

If you are using an i7 or i9 10500 Comet Lake or i7 or i9 Rocket Lake to boot on the system, you will not need to change anything.

Also wanted to mention I discovered the first version of the EFI I ever posted only contained OC v0.6.1 and not v.0.6.5 as I had quoted. That was an error on my part, as part of my build was based on Vectorseven's original EFI.

The Intel I-225V and Aquantia ethernet ports now both work in 11.4. I have disabled the Intel I-225V kexts and LAN patch by default. If you are using Big Sur 11.2 or older such as Catalina you will need to enable the two kexts - FakePCIID and FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V plus the Intel I-225V kernel patch. If you are using Big Sur 11.3, you will only need to enable the Intel kernel patch and disable the two kexts.

As for the different GPU versions:

If you are using the AMD version it should be compatible with the RX5700, RX6800/6800XT & RX6900XT versions (agdpmod=pikera pre-enabled). If you are using a Polaris or Vega card such as RX550 you will need to add the shikigva=40 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 boot-args.

If you are using the Nvidia version it should output to any compatible Nvidia card via the 03 connector up to Pascal range. Native supported cards should have hardware acceleration. Turing and Ampere cards are sadly unsupported so will need to be disabled with -wegnoegpu or similar in order to use the system.

If you have any other cards, you can refer to the Dortania boot flags guide > https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/misc/bootflag.html#amd-boot-arguments

(UPDATE: June 28th 2021)

So I have made some minor updates to the latest OC 0.6.8. files I had uploaded recently.
Some of the significant changes are:

Updates to itlwm.kext (v1.3.0)
Enabled AppleCpuPmCfgLock & AppleXcpmCfgLock (which was not set in previous EFIs)
Secureboot set to Default (for OpenIntelWireless, which is default setting)
Xhciportlimit is enabled
USBInjectAll is set as default
Correct VirtualSMC version (v.1.2.2) now added
Thank you for the great stuff. I download your Catalina EFI and used it as is but when macOS come up, the mouse and the keyboard are not working i.e. no cursor no keyboard response. Please shade some light. Thanks.

Thank you for the great stuff. I download your Catalina EFI and used it as is but when macOS come up, the mouse and the keyboard are not working i.e. no cursor no keyboard response. Please shade some light. Thanks.
Great to hear! For the keyboard if that is the case you may have to create your own USBMap.kext for your motherboard using the recommended methods from Dortania guide. Either that or try one of the other EFIs.

Forgot to mention. Another thing you could also try is adding the OpenUSBKBDxe.efi driver into the EFI/OC/Drivers folder if it is missing. Make sure that the version you put in is the same (including date) as the core OC boot files which was OC0.6.1 (not 0.6.5) on the Catalina version.

Forgot to mention. Another thing you could also try is adding the OpenUSBKBDxe.efi driver into the EFI/OC/Drivers folder if it is missing. Make sure that the version you put in is the same (including date) as the core OC boot files which was OC0.6.1 (not 0.6.5) on the Catalina version.
Thank you for pointing out. The driver indeed wasn't there so I download the OC 0.6.1 package and copy the driver to the EFI/OC/Drivers folder on my the USB stick. But still not connecting the logitech MX wireless keyboard and mouse. Is your Catalina work for all Gigabyte z490 model or just the Xtreme? I select the "Recover 10.15.7" after boot up from USB. Thanks much if you have other suggestions.

Thank you for pointing out. The driver indeed wasn't there so I download the OC 0.6.1 package and copy the driver to the EFI/OC/Drivers folder on my the USB stick. But still not connecting the logitech MX wireless keyboard and mouse. Is your Catalina work for all Gigabyte z490 model or just the Xtreme? I select the "Recover 10.15.7" after boot up from USB. Thanks much if you have other suggestions.
Aside from copying the keyboard driver, you need to have it included in the Drivers loadup section in the config.plist and set to enabled. Yes my EFI should work for almost any Z490 board barring the Asus versions (as they have a separate setting of their own). You're welcome.

Aside from copying the keyboard driver, you need to have it included in the Drivers loadup section in the config.plist and set to enabled. Yes my EFI should work for almost any Z490 board barring the Asus versions (as they have a separate setting of their own). You're welcome.
Thank you... overlook on my part. keyboard and mouse now working. But the Intel i225-V NIC is not working. I see you have the device properties entry for it though. also I changed the SystemProductType=iMac20,2 hope this no matter. sorry keep bugging you for this my first hackintosh attemp. cheers.

Thank you... overlook on my part. keyboard and mouse now working. But the Intel i225-V NIC is not working. I see you have the device properties entry for it though. also I changed the SystemProductType=iMac20,2 hope this no matter. sorry keep bugging you for this my first hackintosh attemp. cheers.
Cool! As for the Intel 2.5Gbe NIC for Catalina you must enable the following in the config.plist:

FakePCIID.kext
Intel I225-V patch

There are different configurations for the I225-V to work on Big Sur 11.2 & 11.4 onwards, hence why I have mentioned them in the footnote in the above guide. SMBIOS iMac20,1 or 20,2 should be fine I think.

Cool! As for the Intel 2.5Gbe NIC for Catalina you must enable the following in the config.plist:

FakePCIID.kext
Intel I225-V patch

There are different configurations for the I225-V to work on Big Sur 11.2 & 11.4 onwards, hence why I have mentioned them in the footnote in the above guide. SMBIOS iMac20,1 or 20,2 should be fine I think.
Actually the 3 entries are already in your config.plist except the Path was not enabled. Anyway I finally need to remove the device property entry for the 10G AQC107 (which my mobo doesn't has) to get the i225-V to work. So was hapy i got passed all this but then, macOS install always abort and reboot at about 7 minutes left before finish. any suggestions where I should look? Thanks.

Back