Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] OC 10.13.6 Z490 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme + Core i5 10400 / i9 11900K + Nvidia GTX 1060

How much did you pay for that thing?

I though Intel had guts to charge around US$550 (the equivalent price at my locality) for it. I consider that price ridiculous and will never consider one (regardless of any single core IPC improvement) especially when the 10th generation i7 is only a little over half as much and the i7 11700K is only US$400.

If I were you, even if I wanted to get a 11th generation CPU, I would have gotten the 11700K or the i7 11700KF instead of this ridiculously expensive thing.

Anyway, congratulations. I suppose this means that you are able to run High Sierra with this thing?
Sorry, I just posted this before reading your post!

Thanks! Yeah I know what you mean. Well I hadn't owned an i9 before so I thought what the heck I get a top spec one this time round. But I had the Z490 board and wanted the extra oomph from the PCIe 4.0 as well and also thought why not. I paid around $556 equivalent in my area (which I have to say, is pretty damn good!). I was half expecting the price to jack up even further with the current chip shortage.

Yes I just checked the High Sierra build works (and even shows the 3.5Ghz speed of the chip), but my special Catalina Clover build didn't work.

Folks, good news - the i9 still works under the current High Sierra EFI build, with no changes necessary!
Performance is also slightly better under OSX (previous two posts were taken from Windows).
View attachment 514172

What is the i9 version?
Do you have better results on this Gigabyte SSD PCI 4.0 SSD on macOS too?
PCI 4.0 works on High Sierra?

What is the i9 version?
Do you have better results on this Gigabyte SSD PCI 4.0 SSD on macOS too?
PCI 4.0 works on High Sierra?
It’s the i9 11900K that I have installed, with 3600Mhz DDR4 fitted (set to 3200Mhz). I have the better results posted (see my latest post above). As for the PCIe 4.0, as far as I know it is working. I haven’t tried the Aja test with macOS on it yet as that is my Windows install, but it works as I can access the drive (and read) from macOS.

It’s the i9 11900K that I have installed, with 3600Mhz DDR4 fitted (set to 3200Mhz). I have the better results posted (see my latest post above). As for the PCIe 4.0, as far as I know it is working. I haven’t tried the Aja test with macOS on it yet as that is my Windows install, but it works as I can access the drive (and read) from macOS.
You can create a small partition for Windows and format it to FAT32 or exFAT and then you can test it under macOS.

Last edited:
Kudos on your build. May I ask what prompted you to go with 10.13.6? I ask because I'm thinking of re-tracing your steps on a 10.12.6 build. I'm curious if you feel it's worth a shot, or if you're aware of any roadblocks that would make it a wasted effort.

Kudos on your build. May I ask what prompted you to go with 10.13.6? I ask because I'm thinking of re-tracing your steps on a 10.12.6 build. I'm curious if you feel it's worth a shot, or if you're aware of any roadblocks that would make it a wasted effort.
The OP wants to reuse a GTX 1060 which is why High Sierra is used.

Thanks! As to your question that’s very simple (and exactly as JB007 said) - I run a GTX 1060 on my setup so that’s the reason why. I just wanted a macOS version that would support the Nvidia card (as I dual boot with Windows). In its original build I actually wanted a RTX3080 FE in this build’s spec, but I’ve failed to find one at the price I’m after (basically MSRP). At their current prices (which are seriously hiked up now) it’s really not worth it. I’ll probably go for a 3070 or maybe an AMD instead if I can’t find either.

FYI I've just updated the EFI for the board with the latest Lilu, AppleALC and Whatevergreen updates as well as corrected the audio settings (boot-arg for ALC1220VB was missing). Also added a new update footnote. The EFI setup can now run Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur.

Thanks! As to your question that’s very simple (and exactly as JB007 said) - I run a GTX 1060 on my setup so that’s the reason why. I just wanted a macOS version that would support the Nvidia card (as I dual boot with Windows). In its original build I actually wanted a RTX3080 FE in this build’s spec, but I’ve failed to find one at the price I’m after (basically MSRP). At their current prices (which are seriously hiked up now) it’s really not worth it. I’ll probably go for a 3070 or maybe an AMD instead if I can’t find either.
That's a very interesting step you took!
Does Intel® UHD Graphics 750 work as iGPU?

Thanks! About the UHD 750, I haven't tested it myself yet - but according to the latest Hackintosh ******, those who had tested it said it doesn't work at all (in macOS). Also Acidanthera's latest Whatevergreen updates actually disables macOS booting if the UHD750 isn't disabled in BIOS. So no, it doesn't work as far as I know.

Back