Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] OC 10.13.6 Z490 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme + Core i5 10400 / i9 11900K + Nvidia GTX 1060

And one other
Thanks for that.

I I will try fully flashed my Thunderbolt chip,whether it can be used fine in windows.
Beg your pardon, I think I misread your first post when you mentioned 'discreate'. I thought it was a device haha!

You can certainly use the discrete graphics card (AMD GPU) alongside Thunderbolt 3. So long as you have enabled Whatevergreen.kext, and added the following also to the NVRAM settings - agdpmod=pikera unfairgva=1

If you flash the Thunderbolt 3 chip it simply offers you more functionality same as that of a real Mac Pro.

And one other

Beg your pardon, I think I misread your first post when you mentioned 'discreate'. I thought it was a device haha!

You can certainly use the discrete graphics card (AMD GPU) alongside Thunderbolt 3. So long as you have enabled Whatevergreen.kext, and added the following also to the NVRAM settings - agdpmod=pikera unfairgva=1

If you flash the Thunderbolt 3 chip it simply offers you more functionality same as that of a real Mac Pro.
Sorry, I didn't describe it clearly.
I mean, if you use the TB3 to output video, it's actually use igpu. I'll let it output by dgpu.
in widnows, it can output video with dgpu in TB3

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't describe it clearly.
I mean, if you use the TB3 to output video, it's actually use igpu. I'll let it output by dgpu.
in widnows, it can output video with dgpu in TB3
Right. If that's the case I have to assume that it is probably the TB firmware under macOS that is causing the issue.
As I said before, the default TB3 BIOS on the motherboard is geared towards Windows. Under macOS it is a different firmware altogether (from what I gathered) which explains why it works slightly different. It would probably be interesting to see how it works under a real Intel Xeon Mac Pro for example. But in your EFI I would also add unfairgva=1 to the build to see if that improves the video output as I know that improves DRM performance.
On top of that I should add there could well be settings/tweaks we haven't fully explored. For example there are Intel & AMD GPU firmware settings (boot flags) in Whatevergreen which I have not added which may improve IGPU & DGPU performance such as -igfxtypec and igfxfw=2. The commands are found here:

Aside from these I would also look at what VDADecoderChecker outputs in terminal and also whether LSPCON support has been enabled in your EFI (found in the above links). In some cases it could be you may have to disable the internal IGPU in order for it to output using the DGPU using the wegnoigpu boot-arg.

Right. If that's the case I have to assume that it is probably the TB firmware under macOS that is causing the issue.
As I said before, the default TB3 BIOS on the motherboard is geared towards Windows. Under macOS it is a different firmware altogether (from what I gathered) which explains why it works slightly different. It would probably be interesting to see how it works under a real Intel Xeon Mac Pro for example. But in your EFI I would also add unfairgva=1 to the build to see if that improves the video output as I know that improves DRM performance.
On top of that I should add there could well be settings/tweaks we haven't fully explored. For example there are Intel & AMD GPU firmware settings (boot flags) in Whatevergreen which I have not added which may improve IGPU & DGPU performance such as -igfxtypec and igfxfw=2. The commands are found here:

Aside from these I would also look at what VDADecoderChecker outputs in terminal and also whether LSPCON support has been enabled in your EFI (found in the above links). In some cases it could be you may have to disable the internal IGPU in order for it to output using the DGPU using the wegnoigpu boot-arg.
I tried to turn off the igpu, but Tb3 didn't output the video at all
Anyway, I'll try these parameters you suggested later
Thank you very much for your reply

Hello guys,
I successfully installed Catalina and Big Sur.
I want to ask if I have a chance to install
El Capitan or Sierra on this hardware.
I7-10700K
MSI Z490 gaming plus
RX 580 4 gig of ram

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 MHz.
SSD 850 Samsung Pro 128gb.
Opencore 0.7.8

Thanks!!!

Hello guys,
I successfully installed Catalina and Big Sur.
I want to ask if I have a chance to install
El Capitan or Sierra on this hardware.
I7-10700K
MSI Z490 gaming plus
RX 580 4 gig of ram

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 MHz.
SSD 850 Samsung Pro 128gb.
Opencore 0.7.8

Thanks!!!
Hi there,

Thanks for your post, glad to hear it worked out for you. As for El Capitan and Sierra support, actually I can say yes it is possible! I recently demonstrated this with my Acer Nitro 5 build which I now included with Sierra support.

To enable booting on Sierra you would need to do at least two things. First is use my original High Sierra EFI and see if that boots using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS and Coffee Lake CPUID which is already set in the config.plist. If is doesn’t try to change the CPUID front section to E3060400 and see if it works.

Is flashing the onboard TB3 on Mojave @ Z490 the only way to get TB3 work?

I have UAD-2 DSP TB3 (no Apollo), which I'd like to use on that machine.
I've never flashed anything in my life :) but maybe it's not that complicated...

Would this guide work with Alder Lake too? Or is 11th gen the end of the line for High Sierra?

i am running into this issue. any advice on how to fix this?

Attachments

• 2022-12-24 23.12.12.jpg
    2022-12-24 23.12.12.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
i am running into this issue. any advice on how to fix this?
usb issue

use a usb2.0 stick, try all ports on your motherboard

Back