Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] OC 10.13.6 Z490 Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme + Core i5 10400 / i9 11900K + Nvidia GTX 1060

Hello, here I come to ask help again
Wanting functional Ethernet, I decided to install Big Sur to my Gigabyte Z490 Vision G + i5 10400 with iGPU, thought installing Big Sur (latest 11.6.4) will be as smooth as high sierra but I kept hitting the wall...
I am using middleman's EFI for Big Sur 11.4 Intel IGPU only, but the progress kept hanging on the same place with Using default RecoveryOS logarchive...

It seems to closed to finishing line but I could not find to hint to get over it..

Of course I am using Verbose mode now but I don't know how to keep log file so I just took a photo, had learned to use debug version of opencore could generate the log file but I don't think I could get the corresponding version of files..

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    21.4 MB · Views: 37
  • error.jpg
    error.jpg
    690.2 KB · Views: 41
Hello, here I come to ask help again
Wanting functional Ethernet, I decided to install Big Sur to my Gigabyte Z490 Vision G + i5 10400 with iGPU, thought installing Big Sur (latest 11.6.4) will be as smooth as high sierra but I kept hitting the wall...
I am using middleman's EFI for Big Sur 11.4 Intel IGPU only, but the progress kept hanging on the same place with Using default RecoveryOS logarchive...

It seems to closed to finishing line but I could not find to hint to get over it..

Of course I am using Verbose mode now but I don't know how to keep log file so I just took a photo, had learned to use debug version of opencore could generate the log file but I don't think I could get the corresponding version of files..
Macit,
I believe the 1..4 EFI above you posted was for my Z490 i9 Rocket Lake build. You need to alter the IGPU Device Properties to match the very first EFI posted in the Z490 Xtreme guide I made and remove the two CPUID data lines in the config.plist. That should allow you to boot Big Sur (because Big Sur natively supports your chip).

Hi Middleman,
Thanks for the quick reply, yes you could check my uploaded EFI I had modified two CPUID data and added the SMBIOS data to config.plist, that's pretty much the change from the original one.

I also tried a EFI for the exact gigabyte Vision motherboard from Github however it failed too..

I noticed that boot-args are very different between these two EFIs, and seems to make different results with just few change, made me wondering with some modification in there the boot will be completed smoothly...

The Items in Kext folder are also quite different...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 11.22.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 11.22.28 AM.png
    157.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 11.51.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 11.51.47 AM.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Hi Middleman,
Thanks for the quick reply, yes you could check my uploaded EFI I had modified two CPUID data and added the SMBIOS data to config.plist, that's pretty much the change from the original one.

I also tried a EFI for the exact gigabyte Vision motherboard from Github however it failed too..

I noticed that boot-args are very different between these two EFIs, and seems to make different results with just few change, made me wondering with some modification in there the boot will be completed smoothly...
Ok. I thought you had replaced the AAPL,ig-platform-id section data on it? That is what you are looking for when mentioning the Intel IGPU (the PCIRoot data), not SMBIOS. SMBIOS setting should not be changed from what has been set because that is a specific setting that's required for booting Big Sur or Monterey.

If we should be really specific, check the Intel Ark spec page for your i9-10900K for the Device ID. That should tell you your required AAPL,ig-platform-id value (which should be 9BC5). Put this under the PCIRoot > Device Properties and make sure that the format it is written stays the same as with one in the EFI ie. 00009BC5. You will also need to put it as device-id but in reverse byte-order ie. C59B0000.

Also the boot-args between the systems are very different. Some boot-args that worked with High Sierra no longer work on some of the later versions, so don't mix them up.

Last but not least, remove your 1050Ti Nvidia card before booting and remove any Nvidia-related boot-args as they will not work under Big Sur (as Nvidia support has largely been removed since Mojave) except for a few remaining cards like GT710.

Macit,

Just thought to check in on you - how's your build doing?

Btw I thought this could maybe help your setup. I should have mentioned it before but this is a build I made not long ago with the i9-10900K for Big Sur and Monterey. > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-aorus-xtreme-core-i5-10500-i9-10900k.317244/

I think your non-ability to boot lies with the fact you have the 1050Ti Nvidia card installed. Because its no longer supported on High Sierra onwards you'll likely have to disable it either with an SSDT (and boot with the Intel IGPU) or have it replaced with a recommended AMD card.

Hi Middle Man, thanks for asking, here are my progresses:
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G + i5 10400 iGPU (no dGPU), after several tries I gave up to install Big Sur, using the EFI for the MB I succeed to install Catalina, now I am trying to make HDMI audio work, ALC1220 has too many layout-id to try...
Msi Z490 Gaming Plus + i9 + 1050 Ti: I was using your EFI to install Big Sur 11.6.4, it got to the install process, and almost complete the progress bar, however after restart I saw a boot option named install mac os then sadly it went Boot Loop, I had checked the installation SSD by other mac there only a small space was taken, wondering what was done after long installation time...
Big Sur boot loop seems to be a common problem for Big Sur installation but I did not find a good solution though..
Concerning the Stability, I am wondering what Hackintoshs with powerful GPU can do, originally I want to try Final Cut Pro though thunderbolt connection.
So here came a problem of Msi Z490 Gaming Plus + i9 + 1050 Ti + Thunderbolt 3 AIC, after flashing the card it was identified by High Sierra and System Information show the PCI card is working it even show the information of Mac on the other side of Thunderbolt cable, but "Thunderbolt Bridge" just could not be connected after setting up the IP, is there something I missed?
By the way, I noticed that you had lot of collections of modern Macs, do you plan to buy a Mac Studio recently? :)

Last edited:
Hi Middle Man, thanks for asking, here are my progresses:
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G + i5 10400 iGPU (no dGPU), after several tries I gave up to install Big Sur, using the EFI for the MB I succeed to install Catalina, now I am trying to make HDMI audio work, ALC1220 has too many layout-id to try...
Msi Z490 Gaming Plus + i9 + 1050 Ti: I was using your EFI to install Big Sur 11.6.4, it got to the install process, and almost complete the progress bar, however after restart I saw a boot option named install mac os then sadly it went Boot Loop, I had checked the installation SSD by other mac there only a small space was taken, wondering what was done after long installation time...
Big Sur boot loop seems to be a common problem for Big Sur installation but I did not find a good solution though..
Concerning the Stability, I am wondering what Hackintoshs with powerful GPU can do, originally I want to try Final Cut Pro though thunderbolt connection.
So here came a problem of Msi Z490 Gaming Plus + i9 + 1050 Ti + Thunderbolt 3 AIC, after flashing the card it was identified by High Sierra and System Information show the PCI card is working it even show the information of Mac on the other side of Thunderbolt cable, but "Thunderbolt Bridge" just could not be connected after setting up the IP, is there something I missed?
By the way, I noticed that you had lot of collections of modern Macs, do you plan to but a Mac Studio recently? :)
I see. Okay well first things first. For the IGPU Big Sur build you got up there, the problem likely stemmed from the file you used on this thread. That EFI was upgraded to use the Rocket Lake chip. Unless you removed the CPUID data from the EFI and reverted the device properties to the Comet Lake Intel IGPU EFI the issue remained it wouldn't boot.

For the MSI Z490 + i9+1050Ti on the Big Sur - the problem here is the same as the one above but also because you have the Nvidia card fitted - macOS Big Sur no longer supports Nvidia nor the 1050Ti so that's why its not booting or boot looping. Either remove the Nvidia card or upgrade it to an AMD dGPU are the best options here.

As for your Thunderbolt IP issue, I really have no idea about that as I use TB mainly for storage. I'm not sure what you mean by flashing - did you flash the card with a custom firmware, or did you follow one of my Thunderbolt Windows activation guides? If the latter, you should probably check it again under Windows and see if the Thunderbolt app detects it or if it needs a firmware upgrade. That always helps. If anything there is a guide for it too here from what I understand. Unfortunately as with anything please note this is done at your own risk > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/howto-real-thunderbolt-hotplug-hotswap-on-the-fly.282953/

As for the hackintosh collection, well let's just say I'm a bit of a heavy user and I'm interested in dabbling with hardware old and new and seeing where and how far they can take us. :) As for the Mac Studio, I'm a bit tempted but at this moment in time it's not a real requirement as I have enough gear to keep me going.

I flashed Thunderbolt card with custom firmware, actually after that my Windows 10 just can't detect the card and if I booting Windows and restart the MB just stuck showing Video Problem, I had to remove the Thunderbolt card to boot into Hackintosh... because I don't really need windows so I just removed windows SSD for other testing...

I had found similar case while System Information show thunderbolt is working but "Thunderbolt Bridge" not connected, again I did not find the solution and I didn't go far to try hotplug for now...

I flashed Thunderbolt card with custom firmware, actually after that my Windows 10 just can't detect the card and if I booting Windows and restart the MB just stuck showing Video Problem, I had to remove the Thunderbolt card to boot into Hackintosh... because I don't really need windows so I just removed windows SSD for other testing...

I had found similar case while System Information show thunderbolt is working but "Thunderbolt Bridge" not connected, again I did not find the solution and I didn't go far to try hotplug for now...
Did you check the ACPI path of your Thunderbolt card on your system? It is important as they vary from system to system. Check out this guide here on how it is done > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/howto-real-thunderbolt-hotplug-hotswap-on-the-fly.282953/

Also you will need to look into installing a SSDT-TB3HP.aml that is adjusted for your motherboard. That should enable the card to work.

Did you check the ACPI path of your Thunderbolt card on your system? It is important as they vary from system to system. Check out this guide here on how it is done > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/howto-real-thunderbolt-hotplug-hotswap-on-the-fly.282953/

Also you will need to look into installing a SSDT-TB3HP.aml that is adjusted for your motherboard. That should enable the card to work.
Wow I feel so close to get my Thunderbolt 3 card to work! Referred to the tutorial I did get the value needed they are RP21/PXSX, and I wanted to edit SSDT-TB3HP.aml but could not find the right tool, googling "mac ami editor" seems not right, please help, many thanks!

Back