Contribute
Register

[Guide][New VoodooI2C] Asus Vivobook S15 X510UAR 10.13+

yes, thank you.

To answer your previous question: I need the primary drive to be bigger, without having to mount a 2nd drive, esp. when I'm running on battery, esp, when I'm on-the-road.

I can re-use the Toshiba SATA M.2 SSD either with an external enclosure for a few €s, or swap a friends 128 GB SATA M.2 SSD with it who has been considering a larger drive for quite a while. I'll be opening her Notebook in a bit anyway to swap the battery.

2280 form factor 500 GB SATA III M.2 SSDs are really cheap here, around €50, even winners of multiple comparitive tests, like the Seagate Barracuda ST500LMZ30, SAMSUNG 860 EVO MZ-N6E500BW, Western Digital WD Blue WDS500G2B0B and WD Red SA500 WDS500G1R0B. So I think I'll just get one of those (after reading through the reviews when I have time).

Again, I appreciate all your fabulous input :thumbup:

IMHO you should go with the samsung, they got the lead in ssd technology now
Just make sure it will compatible with MACOS (some ssd dont do well with MACOS, I dont remember which exactly)

for the old ssd you can get this to turn it into an 2.5" sata ssd and fit it into the hdd slot
1640089268289.png

search for "m2 to sata adapter" on aliexpress or whatever site you prefer

Nice - even for 2 M.2 SSDs.

Your Omicro NVMe which your Asus did not recognize only has the M key, but still you were able to insert it into your VivoBook's slot, if I understand you correctly. I wonder why Asus didn't block their SATA M.2 slot with the counterpart of the M and B keys so that no M-key only PCIe M.2 modules could be inserted to begin with.

@a29psx : Samsung 970 EVO Plus PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 NVMe 1.3 working in the ASUS VivoBook 15, replacing the factory SATA III M.2 SSD..

His is NOT a S15!! But for (some?) S15, what I've been reading is:
  • NVMe M.2 Gen 3.0 x2 with M & B keys work - Gen 3.0 x4 (M key only) don't
  • known working: Kingston A100 entry-level PCIe NVMe with 3D NAND Flash memory
    (but it might not be faster than a Samsung SATA M.2 SSD)
  • modules need to be installed upside down: the side with the chips has to be facing downwards!

Last edited:
Nice - even for 2 M.2 SSDs.

Your Omicro NVMe which your Asus did not recognize only has the M key, but still you were able to insert it into your VivoBook's slot, if I understand you correctly. I wonder why Asus didn't block their SATA M.2 slot with the counterpart of the M and B keys so that no M-key only PCIe M.2 modules could be inserted to begin with.
so they wont have to stock up the "M2 SATA only" connector, thus will eliminate the risk of picking wrong component during assembling process and to get better deal with connector manufacturers...?
below is the pics from my S410UA
1640135622460.jpeg

1640135596532.jpeg

1640135559826.jpeg

@a29psx : Samsung 970 EVO Plus PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 NVMe 1.3 working in the ASUS VivoBook 15, replacing the factory SATA III M.2 SSD..

His is NOT a S15!! But for (some?) S15, what I've been reading is:
  • NVMe M.2 Gen 3.0 x2 with M & B keys work - Gen 3.0 x4 (M key only) don't
  • known working: Kingston A100 entry-level PCIe NVMe with 3D NAND Flash memory
    (but it might not be faster than a Samsung SATA M.2 SSD)
  • modules need to be installed upside down: the side with the chips has to be facing downwards!
I think this link only show you how to replace the SSD, not confirming the 970 EVO will work on that laptop
and I only tried the SM2263XT, which is PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe 1.3
maybe older NVME can work ??

Last edited:
pics from my S410UA
nice. The M-only notch is clear to see
I think this link only show you how to replace the SSD, not confirming the 970 EVO will work on that laptop
I had thought the exact same.. no proof..
maybe older NVME can work ??
Just a few Gen3 x2 appear to ever have gotten manufactured, esp. ones with 480-512 GB. Apart form the aforementioned Kingston A1000, I was able to only find a few other models:
And even for the Kingston A1000 480 GB I only found ONE merchant in China who is selling it quite pricey via eBay. In a thorough review, the testers from Tom's Hardware don't recommend it anyway but rather suggest to get a fast SATA III M.2 SSD like the Samsung EVO 860.

In several SATA III M.2 SSD tests and reviews, the Evo 860 and the WD Blue 500GB models are on par speed wise, but the WD Blue scores with less power consumption - 3.35W vs. 4W (Evo). Also the WD Blue is cheaper here. So I'm pretty sure that's the one I'll get :)

Last edited:
ah, so the NVME that have 2 notch is x2 only, now it make sense
I did see some but cannot get my hand on those for testing

about the WD blue, I totally agree with you, go for it

@a29psx it appears my VivoBook does NOT support UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol): despite of ThridPartyDrives enabled, IOUSBAttachedSCSI.kext does not show up in System Report > Software > Extensions (Catalina, Monterey; OC, Clover) as required as per this lecture here.

Even after installing Sensei, enabling TRIM generally, reboot, the ext. enclosure with the WD Blue SSD still does not show up under SATA as supposed for UASP attached drives, but remains under USB, without TRIM, regardless if I connect it to the USB C or one of the legacy USB ports.

From what I am reading, IOUSBAttachedSCSI needs to be loaded first for UASP to work, THEN TRIM can be enabled. UASP was introduced with USB 3.0 (but might now be an integral part of each USB 3.0+ bus?)

On my friend's MacBook Air (USB 3.0), I do see IOUSBAttachedSCSI.kext loaded in System Report. But even after Sensei -> TRIM -> reboot, the external enclosure (which as per manufacterer does support UASP + TRIM) does not show up under SATA but also remains under USB. I guess because the manufacterer doesn't tell the truth about the device, knowingly or unknowingly..

Unfortunately I do not have a ext. enclosure with UASP verified working, + a SSD in it.

Anyway, in case you have any definite knowledge about if the VivoBook S15 Series in general doesn't support USAP hard- or firmware wise, feel free to let me know. Or do you own such an enclosure, or can get your hand on one + SSD?

Running an SSD in an external enclosure w/o UASP + TRIM is a safe way to have it die sooner or later. I'm talking out of experience (and my local hardware guru pointed me to the fact..).

Last edited:
oh, good news from Windows:

Windows.png

hmmm ..

Regarding macOS: on my friend's MacBook with Catalina, IOUSBAttachedSCSI.kext is loaded even without any ext. drive attached. Since that's required for TRIM via UASP, I'd need to solve that first, if possible in both bootloaders. In Clover I know how to, via forceKextsToLoad. In OC I need to see. Will try tonite.

Last edited:
Long story short: I'm giving up on trying to get TRIM via UASP on a non-Apple external SSD in a non-Apple enclosure going in macOS - after more than sufficient research on this it can be considered impossible. Only chance would be through Thunderbolt, which our VivoBooks don't offer. Case closed.

I'm running Windows every once in a while anyway and will let it perform TRIM on the NTFS and exFAT partitions.

Moving on..

Last edited:
Back