Contribute
Register

[Guide][New VoodooI2C] Asus Vivobook S15 X510UAR 10.13+

Those running Catalina: attention with the latest Clover 5120 update: it might break boot (it does for me), see Catalina 10.15.5/6 won't boot after upgrading to Clover 5120.

If you do also experience this after the 5120 update, the current work-around is to revert back to 5119's BOOTX64.efi file - details see my post here.

@whatnameisit this does also affect your repo, at least on my Vivobook - unless you have found a solution for Clover 5120 (or have fully switched to OC by now?).

Greetz to all - Bugs

Hey, @bugsb I hope you are doing well.
I have switched to OpenCore since the release archive of my repo(fork of saintno1997's repo) and have not tested Clover since then. I don't think I'll go back to using Clover. :/
Great job on the workaround to boot failures with the recent Clover upgrade though!

thank you. Yeah I'm all right. Slice might miss you (and others) .. ;)

So latest OC boots latest Catalina just fine for you?

Yes, OC boots fine. It's Clover that many people are experiencing issues with, not just on Vivobooks but on many other computers. I haven't seen people report failure to boot normal installer or system with latest OC on the Acidanthera bugtracker.

Hm not sure if that's really statistically relevant compared with Clover because I think still way more people are using Clover than OC because it's still very new and not even final/ still beta. Less people using = less people complaining.

I'd say once OC hits final 1.0, much more people will try it out. Let's wait and see then how the content vs. issue scale will develop :)

But good to hear you're happy with OC, and I guess also with OpenCore Configurator.

Actually more people are complaining with OpenCore for various features not ported from Clover which the Acidanthera team gives good reasons for, found in the bugtracker and Configuration.pdf. Anyways, it's just 5120 Clover that is bugged and that's what I meant to say in the previous post XD. Other than that, I expect very similar user experience if correctly configured.
OC Configurator is prone to bugs and no one knows if it can keep up with OC updates during the beta times or even final. I read the official Configuration.pdf and Differences.pdf for all config.plist updates.

OK, gotcha, thanks for the insights. Slice actually fixed the Catalina boot stuck bug with his latest 5120 release build (he obviously did not want to release the new build as 5121 because the bug did not affect all).

I'm 99,99% happy with my Vivohack via Clover running Mojave (which I prefer to Catalina), which by far surpasses Windows 10 on this Vivo which I would only give a 7 out of 10. I'll install Big Sur once it has reached the final Gold RTM.

Are you running Catalina on your VivoBook? If so, does video in FaceTime work, meaning: do you see yourself looking into the camera?

I only see black in the window where I should see myself even though the green LED next to the cam is on. The cam works fine in Foto Booth and Skype, and also in FaceTime Mojave. And is also works when I boot Catalina in safe mode via the -x switch in Clover. So something is blocking.

This happens regardless if:
- booting via Clover or OC
- kexts loaded via EFI or installed to /L/E
- most curennt or older versions of kexts

Last edited:
What if you actually make a call? I remember having this issue on Catalina myself and one other person. If I start the app it shows a black screen, but when I call someone, or my phone and the call gets picked up, I see what's on the camera. I didn't bother to test FaceTime again after that.

@whatnameisit oh wow, I wouldn't have thought about that because in safe mode I see the life video from my cam right away. Will test next time I boot into Catalina and report back. Thanks for the hint!

Back