Contribute
Register

[Guide][New VoodooI2C] Asus Vivobook S15 X510UAR 10.13+

@gotohtom
- check if you have CPUFriend.kext and CPUFriendDataProvider.kext present in any of the relevant folders
- if YES, remove them, reboot
- benchmark again
- if NOT: dunno

Thanks a lot for your advice, I checked Clover Efi partition and also my Mac OS install s/l/e and l/e but I don’t have any of the Kext you mentioned installed.

I also noticed that at first the laptop starts turbo boost up to 2.7ghz but instantly goes back at 1.6ghz.
It seems the power management is too conservative.

Could it be my Machine type? Clover is setup up to be a MacBook Pro 11 but this model is pretty old compare to the Kaby Lake refresh cpu I have..

If you can, could you benchmark your Mac install and share the results here ? I’m wondering if it’s a Mac OS issue..

Last edited:
I would like to add that I tried to use the app Volta for Mac OS that can enable/disable and control turbo boost, power limit, etc. but nothing changed.
When I check the monitor, I can see the CPU boost for short period of time but when it reaches 70 degrees and 8 watts (cpu package) on Mac OS it's unable to ramp up the fans and keep the speed or go above 70 degrees (up to 30watts for the cpu). While on the same situation on windows, CPU can goes to 85 degrees celcius without thermal throttling and keep the boost stable for extensive period of time.

I think the issue comes from the ACPI in Clover directly or the Clover config.
If someone can be kind enough to have a look at it or share it's own (and who has the same cpu i5-8250U) I will be grateful !
Thank you

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
@gotohtom don't have any time for the time being but machine type 11 as per saintno1997/ tctien342 is WRONG, period! Please, in Clover Configurator SMBIOS section, change Product Model to correct 14,1 (easiest with the small button on the right with one arrow up /one down), generate new Serial Number, save, reboot, benchmark again, and report back.

Even 14,1 is not optimal for our i5-8250U, but in any case better than 11,1.

(Alternatively you could also try 15,2 , but that's out-of-balance into the other direction)

Good luck.

@gotohtom don't have any time for the time being but machine type 11 as per saintno1997/ tctien342 is WRONG, period! Please, in Clover Configurator SMBIOS section, change Product Model to correct 14,1 (easiest with the small button on the right with one arrow up /one down), generate new Serial Number, save, reboot, benchmark again, and report back.

Even 14,1 is not optimal for our i5-8250U, but in any case better than 11,1.

(Alternatively you could also try 15,2 , but that's out-of-balance into the other direction)

Good luck.
I honestly don't know why MBP14,1 is so much better than MBP11,1, but I don't think there is a reason to insist on using MBP11,1 either.
I thought 14,1 had "Hey, Siri" but it's not there. MBP11,1 boots a couple seconds faster, idle frequency stays lower, as low as 800 MHz (AppleIntelInfo) whereas for 14,1 it's 1.3 GHz. 11,1 fills up the missing frequencies slower (like I have to wait a whole minute for AppleIntelInfo to show a complete list from 800 MHz to 3.4 GHz, and for 14,1 it's only about 15 seconds). That's all I could test or find myself. Is there anything else I need to look at? It's just a question so I didn't attach PR files, but I can prepare them if anyone wants them.
BTW, is everything regarding your touchpad okay with polling mode, like no random stops? Mine used to stop from time to time and at those times I needed to wait for it to become active again. Then at some point I decided to turn off I2C0 device by having M(_STA) on I2C0 return Zero and I have not had any issues since then.

@whatnameisit : great contribution as always!

14,1 vs. 11,1: I simply compared both models in a side-by-side table, I think over at wikipedia. 14,1 (Kabylake) is above all closer in regards to GPU/ CPU.

The faster boot with 11,1 might not be a positive sign at all, it might even mean that not all relevant hardware is being initialized correctly during boot because it is simply not found because it is not present and thus skipped, but some of our Vivobooks' hardware components which would match the 14,1 model are not initialized, either, because they are missing in the 11,1. Just a hypothesis.

I ran Pike R. Alpha's freqVectorsEdit.sh bash script to add/replace FrequencyVectors in plists in X86PlatformPlugin.kext so last time I checked, even with 14,1 idle frequency was down to 800MHz.

Touchpad in polling mode: NOT fully OK. The pointer does not jump around like crazy anymore but indeed does stall/ stop every once in a while. I'm always able to get it back working with F11, F11, CMD+H, CMD+tab, so I'm more than willing to give your code snippet a shot. I'm shifting that part over to hieplpvip's thread at github.

@bugsb Thank you for your explanation! I'll go find and look at the script you mentioned :)

For the touchpad, I'm using polling mode but mostly I use a mouse so it doesn't bother me that much. I noticed that on Windows 10, the touchpad is really accurate but on Mac Os, trying to select some area starting from botton to top is almost impossible, the click doesn't stay enough and my selection disappear. On Windows, no problem.

I noticed that "about this Mac" report [email protected] instead of 1.6Ghz when I use the 14,1MBP setup.
About the FrequencyVectors you talked about, is there any guide I can follow?
I would like to try to edit mine and see if it can fix my problem.

Thanks a lot!

Did you guys update to the 310 bios ? or are you still using 308/309 ? I cannot find any update information about theses.

For the touchpad, I'm using polling mode but mostly I use a mouse so it doesn't bother me that much. I noticed that on Windows 10, the touchpad is really accurate but on Mac Os, trying to select some area starting from botton to top is almost impossible, the click doesn't stay enough and my selection disappear. On Windows, no problem.

I noticed that "about this Mac" report [email protected] instead of 1.6Ghz when I use the 14,1MBP setup.
About the FrequencyVectors you talked about, is there any guide I can follow?
I would like to try to edit mine and see if it can fix my problem.

Thanks a lot!

Did you guys update to the 310 bios ? or are you still using 308/309 ? I cannot find any update information about theses.
I think the touching area needs to be wide and you need to push down a little bit more force. Or see if you can update the touchpad kexts.

I looked up freqVectorsEdit. Then I remembered there is a Lilu plug-in called CPUFriend.kext (PMHeart). It looks up the resources in one of your kexts in /S/L/E that uses frequency data from selected Mac device and applies it to your device. So it's like instead of changing the system kext to fix your frequency table which is what freqVectorsEdit does, the plug-in kext injects the data. There are many scripts to generate CPUFriend.kext, so look them up and find the best one for you. I used stevezhengshiqi's one-key-cpufriend.sh (https://github.com/stevezhengshiqi/one-key-cpufriend). This script downloads the latest stable release version of CPUFriend, so make sure you update Lilu and all of its other plug-ins.

Last edited:
Back