Contribute
Register

[Guide][New VoodooI2C] Asus Vivobook S15 X510UAR 10.13+

During the time which passed from my previous post I had installed Mojave on my S510UNR.
It working, except saving sound volume and keyboard backlight (like on High Sierra).
It seems to me, that this problems solution is in improper kexts or in improper patching.
Model of Macbook and the place where kexts is located does not influence to the result.
I had edited config (info.plist) from AsusNBFnKeys.kext to set initial level on keyboard backlight to 0 and at the booting backlight is at minimal level (at the first) and then set up at zero level.
PR is uploaded.
Is this off topic (Mojave)?

Backlight guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ontrol-using-applebacklightfixup-kext.218222/

Screen backlight is working Ok.
Problen is in keyboard backlight

Screen backlight is working Ok.
Problen is in keyboard backlight
you need to install all your kexts to /Library/Extensions

After your post #381 I did the instructions that is included in the post #1 at the "[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext" (SSDT-PNLF.aml in ACPI/patched and AppleBacklightFixup.kext installed to /L/E)
and I installed all kexts contained in /EFI/.../Other to the /L/E.
Than I re-uploaded PR-file.

Thats wrong in my SysPrefs->Displays?
And how to improve situation?

Hello, again!
Thanks to @saintno1997's new files at GitHub (8-th version) my Hackintosh quickly goes to sleep mode and wakes up normally.
The main problem was solved.
But after reboot the sound volume not saved and each time is at maximum.
At the specific topic the solution is in AppleHDA.kext, but @saintno1997 used hotpatch, and I don't understand how to save sound volume at this case?
In the same way the keyboard's backlight behaves.
Can anybody help me to solve these problems?
Debug file is uploaded.

Hello mksim.

Did you ever have VoodooHDA installed? If so then make sure there are no traces incl. the pref pane left.

There are at least two files in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched which might influence your sound issue:
SSDT-CONXEANT-FIX.aml
SSDT-HDEF.aml

I am not sure if those are drop-in/ plugin-type SSDTs, or if they are part of the hotpatch. Just as a pointer for you.

I am not sure if there are any keyboard backlight SSDT-****.aml files.

You might want to have a look at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-ux430ua-kaby-lake-i7-7500u-intel-hd-graphics-620.225847/

I'm still on High Sierra and so far never upgraded to saintno's v.8, so that's pretty much all I can contribute. Good luck :thumbup:

There is new 309 BIOSes for ASUS-VivoBook-S15-S510UA X510UA (4.33 MB) and X510UAR (4.35 MB), and also for VivoBook 15 X510UQ. Anybody having any luck with it? I don't. After the 309 Update, what should be the login screen (after the verbose mode screen with all the lines flashing by and the brief intermediate black screen with the progress bar), is now a black screen, with just the mouse pointer movable (doesn't change when pressing keys).

On my X510UAR in High Sierra 10.13.6 booting to Desktop with BIOS 308/ 303/ 301 has always worked fine regardless if with static or hot patch, and even w/o any DSTD patches.

Latest hotpatch v.8 from saintno1997, but same thing with original/ stock ReHabMan config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist instead of hotpatch config.plist, or any previous EFI folder from backup.

Latest Clover versions (by RehabMan on Volumes/EFI, by Slice on Volumes/Clover) and latest versions of all kexts, installed to L/E.

[UPDATES]:
2019-02-12:
[SOLVED] - see here:)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2018-12-20:
When I wait a few seconds for the black screen, type my PW, press enter, plug in my external monitor, it kicks in after some seconds displaying the Desktop, then the Laptop screen comes alive, too (sometimes I need to unplug the external for that to happen)! But at first everything was painstakingly slowed down, like running on 1% CPU power. Activity Monitor did not reveal anything unusual.

I managed to solve at least that one malfunctioning aspect by setting the UHD 620 ig-platform-id 0x59160000 in Clover config/ Graphics!

2012-12-21:
I've done file-by-file diff compares of corresponding *.dsl pairs with Beyond Compare 308 --> 309.

Final findings:

DSDT: only two differences:

309, line 70 (added line):
Code:
External (_SB_.PCI0.GFX0.GLID, MethodObj)    // 1 Arguments (from opcode)

then in both BIOSes, under Scope (_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0):

308, Line 40301:
Code:
Device (LID)
        {
            Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0D"))  // _HID: Hardware ID
            Method (_LID, 0, NotSerialized)  // _LID: Lid Status
            {
                Store (One, Local0)
                Store (RPIN (0x11), Local0)
                If (LEqual (Local0, Ones))
                {
                    Store (One, Local0)
                }

Return (Local0)
            }
        }
was changed into
309, line 40263:
Code:
Device (LID)
        {
            Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0D"))  // _HID: Hardware ID
            Method (_LID, 0, NotSerialized)  // _LID: Lid Status
            {
                Store (One, Local0)
                Store (RPIN (0x11), Local0)
                If (LEqual (Local0, Ones))
                {
                    Store (One, Local0)
                }

If (IGDS)
                {
                    ^^^^GFX0.GLID (Local0)
                }

Return (Local0)
            }
        }
So all I see accdg. to Beyond Compare is a If (IGDS) condition inserted into Device (LID). Does that produce an incorrect lid state leading to a black screen?

Removed the 4 lines with the If (IGDS) condition, compiled, applied to Clover/ACPI/patched, rebooted --> black screen.

Applying the misc_LidPoll.txt work-around via MaciASL [misc] Poll for LID changes + ACPIPoller install --> reboot did NOT solve this, either.

2018-12-25:

SSDTs
: the 6 SSDTs SSDT-x.dsl and SSDT-x3_x.dsl are all exactly the same = did NOT change from 308 --> 309. Unless there is a graphics related change in one of the other SSDTs, ^^^^GFX0.GLID (Local0) is the culprit causing a black screen where the login screen should be, and simply commenting it out does not help any :roll2:

What to do next - how to proceed from here?
-----------------------------------------

The convoluted login procedure remains, and even now still many things graphics-related are "sticky":

• apps with transparency effects etc. misbehave
  • Dock magnification tends to stick
  • no preview when I type something into Spotlight
etc.

I next also tried the other ig-platform-ids I know of for the UHD 620 (0x59180002 and 0x59180009), but these don't work.

From what I know studying this board there is no other ig-platform-id which would make sense trying, right? this being a ACPI related issue. As usual ASUS did not provide a change log.

Here's what else I've already tried, with same result:

• boot with -f
  • boot into safe mode -x
  • static patch config.plist w/o any DSDT
  • empty EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder w/o any SSDTs
  • put to sleep and wake back up
  • SMBIOS sys def 15,2 (hotpatch v.8 from saintno1997), or 14,1 (the one I have always been running)
  • in Clover, re-activated kext patch AppleBacklightInjector.kext (credit RehabMan)
What's new with this Notebook after this 309 BIOS update is that it does NOT even boot w. static patch config.plist and no patched DSDT. Therefore I don't think that creating a static patch DSDT would help here.

Black.dragon74's gen_debug does not work in single user mode mode, but I'll see if I can generate PR files asap
[edit]: after 30 minutes or so, gen_debug still stuck at "dumping Clover files"..

@saintno1997 , @baohiep , or anybody else?

@RehabMan , @Feartech : I attached the full debug_BIOS_308_GOOD.zip, + the manual_debug_BIOS_309_Black-Screen.zip with only the changed files, all other files already being present in debug_BIOS_308. That way you can have a look at what changed from 308 to 309 in the graphics related sections, and can hopefully give me hints how to proceed.

Attachments

• debug_BIOS_308_GOOD.7z.zip
    2 MB · Views: 69
  • manual_debug_BIOS_309_Black-Screen.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Hi guy,
I have my asus x510uqr (i7 8550u + gt940m) running the latest mojave 10.14.2. Everything is working fine expect bluetooth issue after sleep/wake without connecting to power apdaper, just like @bugsb described. It just fine for me because I rarely use laptop on battery. However, I'm faceing a super slow and laggy experience with photoshop cc 2019. I just finger out that pts detect wrong GPU infomation - Intel UHD 617 instead of 620. I do double-check on geekbench 4 and cinebench r15, and they are showing Intel UHD 617 too (you can see it in attached pictrue). So, i run some benchmark to check the performance, it's ok with geekbench 4 core, but with cinebench r15 - it's 385rb for CPU and ~16fps for the GPU - very slow comparing to window ( ~650rb and ~45fps)
Has anyone be facing the same issue? Sorry for my bad english, Hope you get what I mean.

Thanks and best regards.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 12.05.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 12.05.53 AM.png
    626.3 KB · Views: 170
Back