Contribute
Register

[Guide] Native Power Management for Laptops

Disabled hibernation and got this message, just want to make sure its expected.

Code:
Warning: Idle sleep timings for "AC Power" may not behave as expected.
- Disk sleep should be non-zero whenever system sleep is non-zero.

Last edited:
Sharing my own lesson learned:

I'm working on my 4th hackintosh and have found consistently across all platforms that native power management is best achieved by choosing the Mac Model that most closely approximates the hardware and also by choosing the closest AppleLPC.IONameMatch.

For example, I have a laptop that achieves optimal power management as a MacBookPro5,1 (which requires me to include CLOVER boot flag -no_compat_check to run High Sierra and Mojave and hopefully later OSes). Luckily, this laptop's LPC IOName is detected and matches a name already listed in AppleLPC.kext/Contents/Info.plist, but my other three systems needed a custom LPC.IOName injected via a DSDT patch.

Since USBInjectAll.kext doesn't support MacBookPro's older than 6,1, I needed to manually add MBP5,1 entries to USBInjectAll.kext/Contents/Info.plist (duplicated the entries for MBP7,1 and replaced "MacBookPro7,1" with MacBookPro5,1"). My HackBookPro5,1 has never been better.

Prior to this realization, I was always trying to force MacOS to run by choosing a Mac Model compatible with the OS. Now, I'll always choose the Mac Model that best approximates the hardware and then figure out how to get the OS to run on that MacModel.

In addition to the Mac Model and the LPC.IOName, I suspect that choosing the correct OS Identification for "Darwin" makes a difference. Both of my laptops include _OSI conditions for "Linux" in their DSDTs. I'm still testing, but it appears to me that setting the "Darwin" equivalency to "Linux" for the OS Identification in the DSDT results in the lowest CPU / GPU temps (for my laptops that specify "Linux" conditions in the DSDT). I suspect that other systems can be optimized by experimenting with and choosing the best "Darwin" _OSI equivalency (which may not be "Linux").

Last edited:
Can't find "as CPU PM is already enabled with the plists provided by the guide." that .plist. I've read the guide like 2 or 3 times. I have a whiskey lake and my laptop has a very bad battery drain

Hi all,

Since the very beginning I'm experiencing problems regarding sleep/wake with my older Toshiba KIRA, which is a great, portable laptop.

Most of the time putting it to sleep works fine (waking it up is different story) but sometimes it just breaks and the computer will not go to sleep. It just remains on, everything is off though. I have to turn it off then and the sleep status is gone.

When it works I cannot wake it using the power button, (I deactivated the lid wake) it simply takes a break and turns itself off.

The only possibility to wake up properly is to use the Logitech wireless mouse: if the receiver was in one of the USB ports I can switch the mouse on, press a button and the laptop wakes up properly.

So in general it should work but then sometimes it doesn't. Actually maybe 80% of the time it doesn't.

Another problem is that the battery status is delayed by 20-30 seconds. Sometimes it also stops working and the sleep/wake also doesn't work.

Currently I have Mojave running, with all the patches installed.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Problem Reporting

Be precise about the nature of the problem.

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting". Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Attachments

• debug_19467.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 194
Hi, I think the native power management of my cpu is working. However, the battery, which is 94Wh, still drains fast, approx 40% an hour...And I have already disabled by d-gpu
截屏2019-10-17上午8.55.40.png

Last edited:
Hi, I think the native power management of my cpu is working, but the CPU not going down from 1,2Ghz ( on the specs of cpu tell about 500mhz). For the boost it's ok 1.3Ghz. I don't know if i can modify anything to slow down and have less battery problem (the battery in about 2 hours it's off) when with windows I can use all the day.

I attach the consuete log.

Attachments

• debug_23918.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 189
Hi, I haven't been able to get PM working fully, the CPU looks like is working above the base clock speed all the time, even at idle. It's a 8550u, KBL-R, I'm trying to make it work with the 15,2 spec, but even with 14,1 is behaving the same way.

Here is the debug file. Thanks!!

Attachments

• debug_3269.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 203
Hi, I haven't been able to get PM working fully, the CPU looks like is working above the base clock speed all the time, even at idle. It's a 8550u, KBL-R, I'm trying to make it work with the 15,2 spec, but even with 14,1 is behaving the same way.

Isn't this thread about laptops? The iMac system definitions work differently. You will see one P-state that's low frequency, and a range of maybe 4 or 5 that are the fastest ones supported for the processor. When one regularly samples the "current" frequency, and graphs it, that will show very high frequency numbers. But the processor is still regularly going into the lower frequency state, and the power consumed will be much lower than full load power, at idle. That's just how Apple likes to do it on the iMacs, apparently.

Back