Contribute
Register

[Guide] Native Power Management for Laptops

Hi RehabMan! Do I need to generate the SSDT for 3770k on High Sierra?

As per post #1, for typical configuration, Ivy Bridge CPUs require ssdtPRgen.sh generated SSDT.aml.

If that does not work, you can investigate using XCPM with KernelXCPM=true (and Generate/PluginType=true), but that is not native, therefore discouraged.

You can also enable HWP for other SMBIOS by creating a patched resources injector for X86PlatformPlugin.kext (or by patching the kext itself). But that is a subject for another day.
So, how to enable HWP for iMac18.2? Thanks. Where is the guide?

So, how to enable HWP for iMac18.2? Thanks. Where is the guide?

It involves patching the FrequencyVectors data in the plist.
I have not written any guide for it, but you can find information if you use google.

CPUFriend.kest (a Lilu-based plugin) might also be useful.

Hi @RehabMan
It's seems that applelpc and appleintelcpu not loaded in my system. how i can enable these kexts on my system?

Attachments

• Problem Reporting-1.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 87
Hi @RehabMan
It's seems that applelpc and appleintelcpu not loaded in my system. how i can enable these kexts on my system?

Not expected to load on the hardware in your profile.
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement used on Ivy Bridge and earlier.
AppleLPC used on Broadwell and earlier.

Not expected to load on the hardware in your profile.
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement used on Ivy Bridge and earlier.
AppleLPC used on Broadwell and earlier.
ok. thanks

Experimental option for Skylake/Kaby Lake (and later): HWP

In Skylake CPUs, Intel introduced a new power management technology: SpeedShift (aka. SST, aka. HWP).

With HWP enabled, the CPU handles pstate management by itself instead of requiring the OS to do it. The CPU itself will automatically shift to higher and lower pstates depending on CPU demand.

In order to use HWP, use an SMBIOS that is enabled for HWP... currently MacBook9,1, MacBookPro13,x. Also, since HWP tends to cause the xcpm_idle to be invoked, make sure the xcpm_idle patch (courtesy of PikeRAlpha) is enabled. It is default in all current plists provided by my Clover laptop guide. If you're using older than current plists, you may have to copy the patch into your config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelToPatch section.

You can also enable HWP for other SMBIOS by creating a patched resources injector for X86PlatformPlugin.kext (or by patching the kext itself). But that is a subject for another day.

Note: You still need SSDT.aml from ssdtPRgen.sh or SSDT-XCPM.aml as discussed earlier.

In order to use it, for my Kaby Lake processor, can I change SMBIOS to MacBookPro14.x?
Or I should just avoid it and ignore HWP?

In order to use it, for my Kaby Lake processor, can I change SMBIOS to MacBookPro14.x?
Or I should just avoid it and ignore HWP?

Your choice.

Back