Contribute
Register

[Guide] Native Power Management for Laptops

Use google.
Well, embarrassing as it is, I could not find a Air7.x SMBIOS anywhere. Even all configs in your repo use Air6,2 stating clover does not support broadwell variables?

So, I am now using a Air6,2 SMBIOS, just renamed to Air7,2, till I find a proper one(I'll surely send a pull request to your configs if they haven't been fixed by then :D).
And am reaching a idle freq of 0.8 GHz successfully, though its now flatlining at a top of 2.90 GHz, should till 3.0. Tried many different ssdtPRGen params. Might just be another SMBIOS issue I guess.

Thank you again, for the guidance.

Well, embarrassing as it is, I could not find a Air7.x SMBIOS anywhere. Even all configs in your repo use Air6,2 stating clover does not support broadwell variables?

So, I am now using a Air6,2 SMBIOS, just renamed to Air7,2, till I find a proper one(I'll surely send a pull request to your configs if they haven't been fixed by then :D).
And am reaching a idle freq of 0.8 GHz successfully, though its now flatlining at a top of 2.90 GHz, should till 3.0. Tried many different ssdtPRGen params. Might just be another SMBIOS issue I guess.

Thank you again, for the guidance.

These things have to be extracted from real Apple products (ioreg). If no one has done it yet, and published, then difficult to find.

I will not put the new models into my Clover laptop repo until the support appears in Clover.

These things have to be extracted from real Apple products (ioreg). If no one has done it yet, and published, then difficult to find.

Oh great! Found the hex SMBIOS in my ioreg.
I'll keep an eye out for a macbook then. The same ioreg extraction method would work right(IORegistryExplorerv2.1)?

The same ioreg extraction method would work right(IORegistryExplorerv2.1)?

Yes... You might be able to find an ioreg for MacBookAir7,1 online...

Yes... You might be able to find an ioreg for MacBookAir7,1 online...

So, I found a friend with the Air7,2, got the ioreg,
and this is the SMBIOS I made,
Code:
<key>SMBIOS</key>
    <dict>
        <key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
        <string>[B]09/02/15[/B]</string>
        <key>BiosVendor</key>
        <string>Apple Inc.</string>
        <key>BiosVersion</key>
        <string>[B]MBA71.88Z.0166.B08.1509021746[/B]</string>
        <key>Board-ID</key>
        <string>[B]Mac-937CB26E2E02BB01[/B]</string>
        <key>BoardManufacturer</key>
        <key>BoardType</key>
        <integer>10</integer>
        <key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
        <string>Air-Enclosure</string>
        <key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
        <key>ChassisType</key>
        <string>10</string>
        <key>Family</key>
        <string>MacBook Air</string>
        <key>Manufacturer</key>
        <key>Mobile</key>
        <true/>
        <key>ProductName</key>
        <string>[B]MacBookAir7,2[/B]</string>
        <key>SerialNumber</key>
        <string>------------</string>
        <key>Trust</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Version</key>
        <string>1.0</string>
    </dict>

And for some reason am back to the 1.3Ghz flatline at idle.
This seems to lead me to the conclusion that this must be an issue with clover since the same issue was faced with the Pro12,1 SMBIOS as well.
Will just wait for clover support for broadwell now.

And for some reason am back to the 1.3Ghz flatline at idle.
This seems to lead me to the conclusion that this must be an issue with clover since the same issue was faced with the Pro12,1 SMBIOS as well.
Will just wait for clover support for broadwell now.

Probably not a Clover issue. More likely due to incorrect SSDT...

Assuming ioreg shows correct SMBIOS data, of course...

Probably not a Clover issue. More likely due to incorrect SSDT...

Assuming ioreg shows correct SMBIOS data, of course...

Which ioreg?
Are there some ssdtPRGen flags that could help?
Code:
[COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica]  -workarounds for Ivy Bridge [0/1/2/3][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica]         
         0 = no workarounds[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica]          1 = inject extra (turbo) P-State at the top with maximum (turbo) frequency + 1 MHz[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica]          2 = inject extra P-States at the bottom[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica]          3 = both
[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica] -xcpm mode [0/1][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica]         0 = XCPM mode disabled[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica]         1 = XCPM mode enabled[/FONT][/COLOR]
The ivy bridge workarounds seem to be interesting..

How was power management done before this script?

Which ioreg?

Did you resolve the SMBIOS model getting truncated?

Are there some ssdtPRGen flags that could help?
Code:
[COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica]  -workarounds for Ivy Bridge [0/1/2/3][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica]         
         0 = no workarounds[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica]          1 = inject extra (turbo) P-State at the top with maximum (turbo) frequency + 1 MHz[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica]          2 = inject extra P-States at the bottom[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica]          3 = both
[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica] -xcpm mode [0/1][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica]         0 = XCPM mode disabled[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica]         1 = XCPM mode enabled[/FONT][/COLOR]
The ivy bridge workarounds seem to be interesting..

Perhaps... yes. As would looking at SSDTs from real Macs.

How was power management done before this script?

It was done with native CPU SSDTs and/or Chameleon GenerateCStates/GeneratePStates.

Then in 10.7.4, for Sandy Bridge hardware (popular at the time), it stopped working...

Did you resolve the SMBIOS model getting truncated?
When was it ever getting truncated? What do you mean by truncated?

Perhaps... yes. As would looking at SSDTs from real Macs.
I'll try the Ivy Bridge workarounds sometime today.
I can get the SSDT's from a real MacbookAir7,2 too then. What might you recommend for extraction?

It was done with native CPU SSDTs and/or Chameleon GenerateCStates/GeneratePStates.

Then in 10.7.4, for Sandy Bridge hardware (popular at the time), it stopped working...
Oh! Okay.

Back