Contribute
Register

[Guide] Native Power Management for Laptops

I get a kernel panic on boot. Will post in a sec.

I get a kernel panic on boot. Will post in a sec.

It is likely due to HWP (aka Intel SpeedShift) support in your chosen SMBIOS.
Needs "xcpm idle" patch due to locked MSR 0xE2 on your laptop.
Or use a different SMBIOS (one without HWP).

I see. I'll have to search around. Thanks

I am trying to make PM works with discrete graphic (Nvidia) when internal graphic is disabled (Intel). When SSDT is in place, I am not able to boot.
View media item 188486With internal graphic works just fine...
IOReg, Clover and terminal outputs are attached

Any help is really appreciated.

Thank you,

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 69
I am trying to make PM works with discrete graphic (Nvidia) when internal graphic is disabled (Intel). When SSDT is in place, I am not able to boot.
View media item 188486With internal graphic works just fine...
IOReg, Clover and terminal outputs are attached

Any help is really appreciated.

Thank you,

You probably need to drop the MCFG table.

You probably need to drop the MCFG table.

Thank you RehabMan, I does help, PM for CPU works fine.
Is there any way it could be fixed with patches to DSDT? I tried to find spec for MCFG table, but PCI committee wants 2-3K for the spec :( . Or may be you can enlighten me what is going on a bit?

Thank you again,

Thank you RehabMan, I does help, PM for CPU works fine.
Is there any way it could be fixed with patches to DSDT? I tried to find spec for MCFG table, but PCI committee wants 2-3K for the spec :( . Or may be you can enlighten me what is going on a bit?

Thank you again,

There might be some info in the ACPI spec.

Hello,

I couldn't get sleep to work: when I close the laptop's lid I wait for like 30 seconds then I start hearing a repetitive beep sound (the one you hear when you press backspace on the terminal). The laptop doesn't sleep at all.
When I open the lid I have to raise the brightness so that the beeping stops and the computer becomes usable-ish (screen flickering, barely working trackpad...).
When I leave the laptop on unused I come back to find that it's sleeping, but when I wake it up I have the same symptoms as above.
If there's one thing to note it's that when I used ssdtPRgen it warned me that my model identifier is not found in platformsupport.plist. I open that file and see that one skylake iMac is listed and that's the one I used. It warned me about cpu type as well but I couldn't fix that because I didn't find that vaule in my config.plist.

Here are the files for "problem reporting"

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Hello,

I couldn't get sleep to work: when I close the laptop's lid I wait for like 30 seconds then I start hearing a repetitive beep sound (the one you hear when you press backspace on the terminal). The laptop doesn't sleep at all.
When I open the lid I have to raise the brightness so that the beeping stops and the computer becomes usable-ish (screen flickering, barely working trackpad...).
When I leave the laptop on unused I come back to find that it's sleeping, but when I wake it up I have the same symptoms as above.
If there's one thing to note it's that when I used ssdtPRgen it warned me that my model identifier is not found in platformsupport.plist. I open that file and see that one skylake iMac is listed and that's the one I used. It warned me about cpu type as well but I couldn't fix that because I didn't find that vaule in my config.plist.

Here are the files for "problem reporting"

iMac17,1 is not recommended for your laptop. Use MacBookPro11,1.
Do EC reset.
Make sure you disable "Wake on LAN"/"Wake on USB" in BIOS.

Do EC reset.
Do EC reset.
Still no sleep working, the Apple logo became displaced at boot now. I followed what the guide says concerning bios options.
for the sake of completeness here's how my bios's power management options look like:
ENABLE Runtime Power Managerment
DISABLE Extended Idle Power States
ENABLE Deep Sleep
ENABLE Wake when Lid is Opened
DISABLE Wake on USB
DISABLE Power Control

One some other tab I have :
ENABLE Turbo-boost
ENABLE VTx
ENABLE VTd

could any of these cause problems?

Back