Contribute
Register

[Guide] Native Power Management for Laptops

Isn't this thread about laptops? The iMac system definitions work differently. You will see one P-state that's low frequency, and a range of maybe 4 or 5 that are the fastest ones supported for the processor. When one regularly samples the "current" frequency, and graphs it, that will show very high frequency numbers. But the processor is still regularly going into the lower frequency state, and the power consumed will be much lower than full load power, at idle. That's just how Apple likes to do it on the iMacs, apparently.
Hi!, Yes, this is a laptop: LG Gram (i7-8550U). My main system (HWP in the "iMac" 7700K-Z270m, is working fine thanks to several posters in this forum).

Hi!, Yes, this is a laptop: LG Gram (i7-8550U). My main system (HWP in the "iMac" 7700K-Z270m, is working fine thanks to several posters in this forum).

Oh, okay. Never mind.

Is there a new guide for Catalina? I also have issues with bad battery life while running MacOS on my Dell. Everything is working fine. The weird thing is that battery life worked great for one day. I am not sure what the difference was.

If you look at the screenshot, on Friday the battery lasted for close to 8 hours. But every other day it only lasted 4-5 hours.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 11.39.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 11.39.55 AM.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 257
After much troubleshooting, I learned battery life and power management are working correctly. I can get 7+hours of battery life with my laptop.

What is happening in my situation is that kernel_task consumes and spikes the CPU over 50% of the time. I dont know what is causing this. But after several reboots, it stops and I can good battery life. I just dont know what is kicking. kernel_task.

Solved. I replace FakeSMC with VirtualSMC and battery life is 8 hours, just like in Windows.

Last edited:
After much troubleshooting, I learned battery life and power management are working correctly. I can get 7+hours of battery life with my laptop.

What is happening in my situation is that kernel_task consumes and spikes the CPU over 50% of the time. I dont know what is causing this. But after several reboots, it stops and I can good battery life. I just dont know what is kicking. kernel_task.

Solved. I replace FakeSMC with VirtualSMC and battery life is 8 hours, just like in Windows.
How you do this?

Back