Contribute
Register

[Guide] Native Power Management for Laptops

Hi @RehabMan, I have a question? in THe CoffeLake using one of your config.plist the native power management is enabled by default because of the CLover>ACPI>SSDT>GENERATE>PLUGINTYPE>true? but I have very high clock speeds even when idle. WHat should I do? thank you for your answer

As per post #1, you test pstates with AppleIntelInfo.kext.

Hi @RehabMan, I have a question? in THe CoffeLake using one of your config.plist the native power management is enabled by default because of the CLover>ACPI>SSDT>GENERATE>PLUGINTYPE>true? but I have very high clock speeds even when idle. What should I do? thank you for your answer

Hi Rehabman thank you for the response, I checked with the AppleIntelInfo.kext. i attached the result here. Sorry for the dumb question s i am new to this power managment. I saw that the max cpu without turbo does not match mine also it seems to be very unstable frequency sometimes it is always above 3.5 then if i restart a couple of times it is below 2 what should I do? thank you for all the help

Attachments

• debug_14155.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
  • AppleIntelInfo.txt
    17.8 KB · Views: 100
Hi Rehabman thank you for the response, I checked with the AppleIntelInfo.kext. i attached the result here. Sorry for the dumb question s i am new to this power managment. I saw that the max cpu without turbo does not match mine also it seems to be very unstable frequency sometimes it is always above 3.5 then if i restart a couple of times it is below 2 what should I do? thank you for all the help

x13 to x40 is an excellent result.
Look at your CPU specs as published by Intel:
https://ark.intel.com/products/122589/Intel-Core-i7-8550U-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

Hello,
I followed the Rehabman guide to install macOS 10.13.6 on my ThinkPad T470 with an Intel 7200U.
While I tried to get sleep to work, I noticed that the power management of my GPU seems to be broken (shows only one P-State in AppleIntelInfo.txt). My CPU also doesn't show that many P-States in the AppleIntelInfo.txt.
Also, IOReg doesn't show anything in cpus.
So clearly I'm probably missing something obvious to get my CPU to show up correctly.
As far as I know, a suiting SMBIOS (I chose MacBook Pro 14,1), PluginType = YES and rename GFX0 to IGPU should do the trick, but I'm missing something.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could have a look at my debug files!

I've bundled all relevant files into the debug.zip.

Thank you for you help!

Attachments

• AppleIntelInfo.txt
    17.3 KB · Views: 80
  • CLOVER.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 136
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 22.41.45.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 22.41.45.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 157
  • terminal_output.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 125
  • ThinkPad-T470-IOReg.zip
    614.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
But it believes the base frequency is 2.00 GHZ and it is 1.8 GHz is that not bad for the processor ? , again thank you for the response

No idea what you mean by "it" and "that".

Hello,
I followed the Rehabman guide to install macOS 10.13.6 on my ThinkPad T470 with an Intel 7200U.
While I tried to get sleep to work, I noticed that the power management of my GPU seems to be broken (shows only one P-State in AppleIntelInfo.txt). My CPU also doesn't show that many P-States in the AppleIntelInfo.txt.
Also, IOReg doesn't show anything in cpus.
So clearly I'm probably missing something obvious to get my CPU to show up correctly.
As far as I know, a suiting SMBIOS (I chose MacBook Pro 14,1), PluginType = YES and rename GFX0 to IGPU should do the trick, but I'm missing something.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could have a look at my debug files!

I've bundled all relevant files into the debug.zip.

Thank you for you help!

Your CPU names are PR00, PR01, etc.
You will not see other pstates for IGPU unless you stress the IGPU (eg. run an IGPU compute based benchmark).

No idea what you mean by "it" and "that".

I Mean my system recognizes my processor as having a 2 GHz base clock speed while in reality, it has 1.8ghz my question is how can i change that? and of so that it affects battery life or the processor health

I Mean my system recognizes my processor as having a 2 GHz base clock speed while in reality, it has 1.8ghz my question is how can i change that? and of so that it affects battery life or the processor health

If you're referring to "About This Mac" cosmetics...
Read Clover documentation regarding config.plist/CPU/FrequencyMHz

I just ran Cinebench R15 and another benchmark to stress the GPU. In Intel Power Gadget I could see the GPU at 1GHZ, which is its max frequency and my CPU also powered up as expected. But when I check the output of AppleInfoKext, I still only see one iGPU power state.

Another thing that seems odd to me is that my CPU never goes below 1.3 GHZ whereas in Windows I regularly see it at roughly 700MHZ when idling.

Attachments

• AppleIntelInfo.zip
    3.8 KB · Views: 129
Back