Contribute
Register

[Guide] MUSIC PRODUCTION Skylake Build: 10.11.6, Z170X-Designare, 6700K, HD530, TB3, 960 EVO M.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. USB is fairly easy. My USB works 100%. Thunderbolt, that is horrible. Works for maybe 30%.
Ok thanks for your reply.
But i have to admit i would like to find somebody with the same mobo on mojave that has the usb3 working perfectly, otherwise i'll still just use my usb-c hub that seem to work no too bad (SSD's in Usb3 cable are 100mb/s writing speed and 380 reading speed).
WHat do u think ? Does Usb3 (when it's 100% working like you) work at better speeds with ssd's (specially in writing speed)?

THanks a lot

I get the full speed, eg there's no bandwidth limit in de USB bus. Bottleneck is the raw SSD speed on my system, I get 500/500 r/w for example if the SSD is fast enough.

I get the full speed, eg there's no bandwidth limit in de USB bus. Bottleneck is the raw SSD speed on my system, I get 500/500 r/w for example if the SSD is fast enough.
Thanks @zipb for your infos
I will try to find a guy with the same mobo that can give me the settings and process to that particular mobo.
Finger crossed;-)

R

USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 gen 1 is limited to around 400 MB/s - definitely much better than USB 2.0 (≈ 40 MB/s) for SSDs (≈ 540 MB/s).

If you have a USB enclosure that can connect two SSD's in RAID 0, then you'll want USB 3.1 gen 2.

USB 3.1 gen 2 (10 Gbps) is sometimes limited by the PCIe connection that the USB controller has. For example, an ASMedia ASM1142 is limited to PCIe 2.0 x2 (8 Gbps) or PCIe 3.0 x1 (7.9 Gbps) and gives USB speeds ≈ 780 MB/s. An ASM2142 (PCIe 3.0 x2) or Thunderbolt 3 controller (PCIe 3.0 x4) will not limit the USB 3.1 gen 2 speed and allow ≈ 900 MB/s.

Those speeds are for sequential read. Write will be less. Small files will be less.

USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 gen 1 is limited to around 400 MB/s - definitely much better than USB 2.0 (≈ 40 MB/s) for SSDs (≈ 540 MB/s).

If you have a USB enclosure that can connect two SSD's in RAID 0, then you'll want USB 3.1 gen 2.

USB 3.1 gen 2 (10 Gbps) is sometimes limited by the PCIe connection that the USB controller has. For example, an ASMedia ASM1142 is limited to PCIe 2.0 x2 (8 Gbps) or PCIe 3.0 x1 (7.9 Gbps) and gives USB speeds ≈ 780 MB/s. An ASM2142 (PCIe 3.0 x2) or Thunderbolt 3 controller (PCIe 3.0 x4) will not limit the USB 3.1 gen 2 speed and allow ≈ 900 MB/s.

Those speeds are for sequential read. Write will be less. Small files will be less.
oK, I DREAM ABOUT THAT LOL
;-)
Thanks alot
R

Thanks @zipb for your infos
I will try to find a guy with the same mobo that can give me the settings and process to that particular mobo.
Finger crossed;-)

R

Have you tried more than 1 SSD/USB3 enclosure? I have gathered something like 12 SSD's over the years that I still use and some brands/types are much faster than others.

Have you tried more than 1 SSD/USB3 enclosure? I have gathered something like 12 SSD's over the years that I still use and some brands/types are much faster than others.
OWC at www.macsales.com has many 2.5" SSD enclosures. They have benchmarks for most of them too. I get 912 MB/s from the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual mini connected to a GC-TITAN RIDGE card in my old Mac Pro 2008. They have two versions of the OWC Mercury Elite Pro mini - one is USB 3.1 gen 2 (USB-C) which allows getting the full 540 MB/s performance of an SSD. The other is USB 3.0 and therefore limits performance to 433 MB/s (it also has eSATA which should allow 540 MB/s). There should be no problem using a USB 3.1 gen 2 enclosure with a USB 3.0 port.

I have a Orion studio Rev 2017 that get recognized only in Sierra but cannot hear anything, MacOs communicates to the interface I can change preamps gain and it reflects on the interface. But cannot get sound out or in.

Hi all,

My z170x designaire build has been pretty stable over the past couple years.

However, I do experience one fairly intermittent issue.

Every-so-often, the mouse gets "laggy/stuttery". Once that happens, here are some symptoms:

• "sysmond" and/or "kernel_task" are running at a "high percentage", sometimes way over 100% (Activity Monitor)
  • Activity Monitor's "CPU Window" show one or two of the 8 CPUs running at close to 100%, but the other CPUs bounce anywhere from 0% to 15% (ish)
  • If I "shutdown" the computer at that point, it goes through the shutdown motions, but then ends up restarting instead
  • Restarting temporarily fixes the problem
When this initially happened, I thought it might be related to USB Ports. I then noticed that I was running with all 26 ports enabled! So, I re-followed @RehabMan's guide to create a custom SSDT (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/) (It turns out that when I had initially done this, I had missed a step which resulted in all the ports being injected)

Once I rectified this and limited the port number to 14, it seemed to address the issue.

Unfortunately, over the weekend, this is acting up again.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be much appreciated.

I'm wondering if this has to do with power management and the inherent sleep issues.
(If I allow the machine to sleep, it will eventually just reboot -- and the laggy mouse issue ensues)

The only patched SSDTs I run with are:
  • SSDT-UIAC.aml
  • ssdt.aml
I have attached the resulting debug files from "gen_debug", which includes the ".aml" files.
(Note: "SSDT-UIAC.aml" is my USB patch)

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back