Contribute
Register

[Guide] MUSIC PRODUCTION Skylake Build: 10.11.6, Z170X-Designare, 6700K, HD530, TB3, 960 EVO M.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys..thank u for a very helpful post..
i was wondering if by todays standards u could recommed a MOBO/procoessor for my UAD octa silver card and black satellite DSP card for hackintosh
i believe they are TB 2 and not 3, and sierra is recommended on it as a lot of plugs have problems on high sierra ?
thanks much

Hi guys..thank u for a very helpful post..
i was wondering if by todays standards u could recommed a MOBO/procoessor for my UAD octa silver card and black satellite DSP card for hackintosh
i believe they are TB 2 and not 3, and sierra is recommended on it as a lot of plugs have problems on high sierra ?
thanks much

Hi.
I have UA apollo twin working with the gigabyte Auros Gaming 7 and the Gigabyte TB card and they all work really well Toguether
I am using high sierra and all UA plugins are working without Problems ( i use Ableton live X and logic pro X) all my plugins (and have a lot of them) Work without problems.
I used previously the Asus Maximus Hero VIII and IX mobo’s but had a lot of problems with TB connectivity

Thank you for the information.

I'm wondering if I should just spring for the Gigabyte X299 Designare EX v.1 (2 TB3 ports in the back) and an i9 7900x. I know that it's not officially supported –yet– but at least (perhaps) I could run Pro Tools 2018 with the TB Apollo 8 Quad in Windows 10.
Otherwise, I'd consider my Apollo a $3k doorstop since I can't stick a Firewire bus card in the back to replace the existing TB2. Too bad it's not just USB3... :think:

I've sent a ticket into UAD to see if I can swap-out the cards for Firewire 800. I would imagine that a USB 3 card for that unit would have to be custom made.

Still wondering about the scarcity of true Thunderbolt 3 motherboards with onboard connectors. Not just AIC roulette.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information.

I'm wondering if I should just spring for the Gigabyte X299 Designare EX v.1 (2 TB3 ports in the back) and an i9 7900x. I know that it's not officially supported –yet– but at least (perhaps) I could run Pro Tools 2018 with the TB Apollo 8 Quad in Windows 10.
Otherwise, I'd consider my Apollo a $3k doorstop since I can't stick a Firewire bus card in the back to replace the existing TB2. Too bad it's not just USB3... :think:

I've sent a ticket into UAD to see if I can swap-out the cards for Firewire 800. I would imagine that a USB 3 card for that unit would have to be custom made.

Still wondering about the scarcity of true Thunderbolt 3 motherboards with onboard connectors. Not just AIC roulette.

those connections are TB2 and not TB3
The 2 or 3 TB3 (USB-C) ports will not work with your UA devices I think
I have the combo I mentioned with 64 GB of ram and it rocks...

those connections are TB2 and not TB3
The 2 or 3 TB3 (USB-C) ports will not work with your UA devices I think
I have the combo I mentioned with 64 GB of ram and it rocks...

D'oh! Sorry about that. –I forgot to mention it and assumed that everybody knew that I'd be using a real TB2 to TB 3 adapter.

That's great that your system works. At this point, I don't even care if I have to use Windows beyond the system and card setup.
Any opinion on the Gigabyte X299 Designare EX v.1? Or should I play it safe and go with a Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 -assuming I can find a "compatible" Gigabyte Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt AIC? Can I trust a "new" $60 card from A**z*n? :think:

BTW, UAD is selling the TH3 card for their rack series, but I'm not paying $500 for a UAD card that won't improve i/o latency.

FWIW, the "System Delay" in the same 24/44.1 Pro Tools session (128 buffer) using the Apollo 8 Quad on a 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 GHz i7 Quad-Core with 16GB RAM vs. a 2013 Mac Pro 6-Core, dual D500's with 32GB RAM is exactly the same.
IDK if this is surprising or not.
:beachball:

I also did think on moving all my setup to windows.
After a lot of research I decided to go for a safer solution and now I am happy that I did not move to windows.
I thing the i7 8700k and the 64Gb of Ram are all that I need with the Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7...
I did not have any trouble to find the alpine ridge card, and opposite to the Asus setup, I did not have any problems in setting it up also.
I do not use Pro Tools so I cannot help you on that...
Comparing with my MacBook late 2016 full specs I have a much better setup now with my Hackintosh using Apollo Twin.
I no longer use the MacBook except when I am away from studio.

Hi everybody,

Long time no chat ;-)

I wanted to know if anyone of you upgraded to Mojave with that build as i can't get my USB3 ports running.
Only mouse is working on the blue ports.
I can't find how to make Usb3 work again.
AND, the USB2 (black) ports are working but at speeds like 44mbs/...

Anybody who had success moving to mojave wth that QKY perfect build that worked like a charm on el Capitan/sierra?

Thanks a lot guys

Romain

Hi everybody,

Long time no chat ;-)

I wanted to know if anyone of you upgraded to Mojave with that build as i can't get my USB3 ports running.

Anybody who had success moving to mojave wth that QKY perfect build that worked like a charm on el Capitan/sierra?

Thanks a lot guys

Romain
Hi everybody,

Long time no chat ;-)

Thanks a lot guys

Romain
Hi guys,

Nobody to help with Mojave and making Usb3 working on this Mobo?

Finger crossed ! ;-)

Regards,

Romain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back