Contribute
Register

[Guide] MUSIC PRODUCTION Skylake Build: 10.11.6, Z170X-Designare, 6700K, HD530, TB3, 960 EVO M.2

Hi guys..thank u for a very helpful post..
i was wondering if by todays standards u could recommed a MOBO/procoessor for my UAD octa silver card and black satellite DSP card for hackintosh
i believe they are TB 2 and not 3, and sierra is recommended on it as a lot of plugs have problems on high sierra ?
thanks much

Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
CPU
Intel I7 6700K 4.00GHz
Graphics
NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys..thank u for a very helpful post..
i was wondering if by todays standards u could recommed a MOBO/procoessor for my UAD octa silver card and black satellite DSP card for hackintosh
i believe they are TB 2 and not 3, and sierra is recommended on it as a lot of plugs have problems on high sierra ?
thanks much

Hi.
I have UA apollo twin working with the gigabyte Auros Gaming 7 and the Gigabyte TB card and they all work really well Toguether
I am using high sierra and all UA plugins are working without Problems ( i use Ableton live X and logic pro X) all my plugins (and have a lot of them) Work without problems.
I used previously the Asus Maximus Hero VIII and IX mobo’s but had a lot of problems with TB connectivity

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. Quadra
  7. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you for the information.

I'm wondering if I should just spring for the Gigabyte X299 Designare EX v.1 (2 TB3 ports in the back) and an i9 7900x. I know that it's not officially supported –yet– but at least (perhaps) I could run Pro Tools 2018 with the TB Apollo 8 Quad in Windows 10.
Otherwise, I'd consider my Apollo a $3k doorstop since I can't stick a Firewire bus card in the back to replace the existing TB2. Too bad it's not just USB3... :think:

I've sent a ticket into UAD to see if I can swap-out the cards for Firewire 800. I would imagine that a USB 3 card for that unit would have to be custom made.

Still wondering about the scarcity of true Thunderbolt 3 motherboards with onboard connectors. Not just AIC roulette.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
CPU
Intel I7 6700K 4.00GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you for the information.

I'm wondering if I should just spring for the Gigabyte X299 Designare EX v.1 (2 TB3 ports in the back) and an i9 7900x. I know that it's not officially supported –yet– but at least (perhaps) I could run Pro Tools 2018 with the TB Apollo 8 Quad in Windows 10.
Otherwise, I'd consider my Apollo a $3k doorstop since I can't stick a Firewire bus card in the back to replace the existing TB2. Too bad it's not just USB3... :think:

I've sent a ticket into UAD to see if I can swap-out the cards for Firewire 800. I would imagine that a USB 3 card for that unit would have to be custom made.

Still wondering about the scarcity of true Thunderbolt 3 motherboards with onboard connectors. Not just AIC roulette.

those connections are TB2 and not TB3
The 2 or 3 TB3 (USB-C) ports will not work with your UA devices I think
I have the combo I mentioned with 64 GB of ram and it rocks...

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. Quadra
  7. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
those connections are TB2 and not TB3
The 2 or 3 TB3 (USB-C) ports will not work with your UA devices I think
I have the combo I mentioned with 64 GB of ram and it rocks...

D'oh! Sorry about that. –I forgot to mention it and assumed that everybody knew that I'd be using a real TB2 to TB 3 adapter.

That's great that your system works. At this point, I don't even care if I have to use Windows beyond the system and card setup.
Any opinion on the Gigabyte X299 Designare EX v.1? Or should I play it safe and go with a Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 -assuming I can find a "compatible" Gigabyte Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt AIC? Can I trust a "new" $60 card from A**z*n? :think:

BTW, UAD is selling the TH3 card for their rack series, but I'm not paying $500 for a UAD card that won't improve i/o latency.

FWIW, the "System Delay" in the same 24/44.1 Pro Tools session (128 buffer) using the Apollo 8 Quad on a 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 GHz i7 Quad-Core with 16GB RAM vs. a 2013 Mac Pro 6-Core, dual D500's with 32GB RAM is exactly the same.
IDK if this is surprising or not.
:beachball:

Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
CPU
Intel I7 6700K 4.00GHz
Graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I also did think on moving all my setup to windows.
After a lot of research I decided to go for a safer solution and now I am happy that I did not move to windows.
I thing the i7 8700k and the 64Gb of Ram are all that I need with the Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7...
I did not have any trouble to find the alpine ridge card, and opposite to the Asus setup, I did not have any problems in setting it up also.
I do not use Pro Tools so I cannot help you on that...
Comparing with my MacBook late 2016 full specs I have a much better setup now with my Hackintosh using Apollo Twin.
I no longer use the MacBook except when I am away from studio.

Motherboard
Z170X Designare - F21
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GT 640
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi everybody,

Long time no chat ;-)

I wanted to know if anyone of you upgraded to Mojave with that build as i can't get my USB3 ports running.
Only mouse is working on the blue ports.
I can't find how to make Usb3 work again.
AND, the USB2 (black) ports are working but at speeds like 44mbs/...

Anybody who had success moving to mojave wth that QKY perfect build that worked like a charm on el Capitan/sierra?

Thanks a lot guys

Romain

Motherboard
Z170X Designare - F21
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GT 640
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi everybody,

Long time no chat ;-)

I wanted to know if anyone of you upgraded to Mojave with that build as i can't get my USB3 ports running.

Anybody who had success moving to mojave wth that QKY perfect build that worked like a charm on el Capitan/sierra?

Thanks a lot guys

Romain
Hi everybody,

Long time no chat ;-)

Thanks a lot guys

Romain
Hi guys,

Nobody to help with Mojave and making Usb3 working on this Mobo?

Finger crossed ! ;-)

Regards,

Romain

Motherboard
Z170X Designare - F21
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GT 640
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air