Contribute
Register

Guide: MultiBooting UEFI

I have working triple boot Win10 / ElementaryOS 5.1.2 / MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 using latest Clover in UEFI mode. All OSes are UEFI installations. Win, Linux and shared exFat partition on one SSD, mac on another. Both SSD's have EFI partitions, Clover is alone on mac ssd, where I copied it from my installation USB. The other has Apple, boot, Microsoft and Ubuntu folders. I didn't set these up, assume clover created them, or their respective installers, not sure how/why the Apple folder ended up on the other ssd's efi - but hey it all works, let sleeping dogs lie etc!

Anyways, been trying to find how I can boot the Ubuntu based Elementary directly from Clover, rather than Clover booting Grub, grub booting Elementary - Can live with it, but seems it should be possible. Do not want to copy linux kernel to EFI partition, breaking updates etc. My questions:

1) Is this actually possible?
2) Can anyone point me to a guide, relevant infos, or
3) describe a solution here?

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• config.plist
    14 KB · Views: 125
I have working triple boot Win10 / ElementaryOS 5.1.2 / MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 using latest Clover in UEFI mode. All OSes are UEFI installations. Win, Linux and shared exFat partition on one SSD, mac on another. Both SSD's have EFI partitions, Clover is alone on mac ssd, where I copied it from my installation USB. The other has Apple, boot, Microsoft and Ubuntu folders. I didn't set these up, assume clover created them, or their respective installers, not sure how/why the Apple folder ended up on the other ssd's efi - but hey it all works, let sleeping dogs lie etc!

Anyways, been trying to find how I can boot the Ubuntu based Elementary directly from Clover, rather than Clover booting Grub, grub booting Elementary - Can live with it, but seems it should be possible. Do not want to copy linux kernel to EFI partition, breaking updates etc. My questions:

1) Is this actually possible?
2) Can anyone point me to a guide, relevant infos, or
3) describe a solution here?

Thanks in advance...
Yes it is possible. You can create entries into the Clover Scan section and boot the EFI stub - you need to remove Grub if you use this method.
See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/efistub-load-linux-with-clover.200300/

Thanks. Had seen that guide - and the comments saying it's possible directly with Custom entry, but they never show up. Log always shows Custom boot CUSTOM_BOOT_DISABLED (0x0), but I cannot see anywhere in my config.plist where this is set. Is there a flag/key for this?

Attachments

• config.plist
    14 KB · Views: 127
Thanks. Had seen that guide - and the comments saying it's possible directly with Custom entry, but they never show up. Log always shows Custom boot CUSTOM_BOOT_DISABLED (0x0), but I cannot see anywhere in my config.plist where this is set. Is there a flag/key for this?
Follow directions in post #1 of the link I posted. It tells you how.

Turns out the solution WITHOUT copying kernel to EFI etc was simply to copy the VBoxExt4.efi driver from drivers/off to /drivers/UEFI - which with GUI/Scan/Linux=true enabled in config.plist made the kernel show up in Clover boot screen. I then disabled the scan/linux true and used a custom entry, purely so I could specify the EoS icon I wanted. Basically the problem is Clover being unable to read/scan ext4 partition without the right fs driver in /drivers/UEFI.

Sod's law, but it actually boots slightly slower than through Grub!

Hi all !

I am under Windows 10 with my tiny m93p and I would like to make a dual boot. with this method I will not lose windows 10.
So when I turn on will I be on dual boot?
I'm a little scared because I never install MacOs.

I already split the 280 GB ssd hard drive.
so I leave for MacOs Catalina 60go (just to test after I will increase)

Attachments

• InkedAnnotation 2020-03-07 135327_LI.jpg
    InkedAnnotation 2020-03-07 135327_LI.jpg
    622.4 KB · Views: 164
Ok so working Hackintosh, have been on 10.13.4 for about 2 years no with no problems. Working wifi, bluetooth, handoff, usb 3.0.

I installed Windows 10 on a fresh SSD last night and got Windows working fine.

However, I noticed a few things wrong now on the Mac side, USB 3.0 seems to be broken (devices aren't getting power) and my fans are now louder and max out (before they were following my BIOS settings, which I had tweaked). I looked at my config.plist and everything seems the same, I still have USBInjectAll.kext and I have my kext patches entered correctly. It just seems like the new install is somehow messing with my settings/kexts.

I took a deeper dive and noticed that the Microsoft EFI file got written to the same EFI partition that my OSX one is on. I didn't realize that it would have written to the same drive. I created an EFI partition on the Windows SSD thinking I could move the Microsoft folder onto it, and it created as a "healthy EFI" partition of 200MB on the drive but I can't mount it no matter how many guides I follow (through clover, EFI Mounter V3.1 or through windows command line). I'm not even sure if that will solve it but I've pretty much hit a wall here.

The windows EFI shows up as partition 3 on the windows side, so I'm thinking it needs to be the first partition somehow; but I'm not sure how to do that. Again, I'm not sure if this even will work; but my thought process was to get the Microsoft EFI separated and to restore my Hackintosh with Time Machine. Let me know if any of this is making sense.

EDIT: I think I got USB 3.0 working again, without any devices giving me the no power issue. I had to unplug and replug every device in a specific order before I got it to work. I'm not sure if that's due to the specific power draw of the different devices, but I never had any such issue in the past.

At this point just wondering if the Windows EFI being on the Mac OSX boot drive makes any difference.

Last edited:
Ok so working Hackintosh, have been on 10.13.4 for about 2 years no with no problems. Working wifi, bluetooth, handoff, usb 3.0.

SNIP SNIP

At this point just wondering if the Windows EFI being on the Mac OSX boot drive makes any difference.

From what you have typed it seems you ignored the advice to disconnect the Mac drive when installing Windows? If so, thats probably your issue.... I followed that and with two SSDs had no issues with Windows messing with MacOS SSD.

It does not make any operational difference. OTOH, if you ever re-format the Mac OS drive for any reason, you will not be able to boot the Win10 drive. This is why we recommend having only the Win10-to-be drive connected when installing Win10 - the installer stomps on any drive installed in a higher priority port.
Launch the Win10 disk management tool and post a screenshot of the disk formatting.
Also, post a screenshot of Mac terminal command diskutil list

From what you have typed it seems you ignored the advice to disconnect the Mac drive when installing Windows? If so, thats probably your issue.... I followed that and with two SSDs had no issues with Windows messing with MacOS SSD.
Yes. I realize that this may have caused issues. Thank you, potentially going to reinstall.

It does not make any operational difference. OTOH, if you ever re-format the Mac OS drive for any reason, you will not be able to boot the Win10 drive. This is why we recommend having only the Win10-to-be drive connected when installing Win10 - the installer stomps on any drive installed in a higher priority port.
Launch the Win10 disk management tool and post a screenshot of the disk formatting.
Also, post a screenshot of Mac terminal command diskutil list

Thanks for your responses Going Bald, and dedication to this thread. It's really appreciated!

On the OSX side, my OSX boot drive is disk0 which has both OSX EFI and Microsoft on it.

On the windows side, the windows SSD is disk 3. I created the EFI partition but it created it as partition 3.

Is the solution to just unplug everything besides windows SSD and reinstall Windows 10?

Re: certain USB devices not getting power issue (it's happening again), I read this thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-usb-power-property-injection-for-sierra-and-later.222266/ (realize it's for laptops) and related ones to try and see if anything had changed in clover/config.plist since I installed windows but I can't find anything different. Attached config.plist, let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 10.02.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 10.02.14 AM.png
    128 KB · Views: 127
  • DISKPART.jpg
    DISKPART.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 129
  • SCREENGRAB.jpg
    SCREENGRAB.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 115
  • config.plist