Contribute
Register

Guide: MultiBooting UEFI

@vulgo Ok I can do that in bios. If I shut off the OSX drive do I just boot straight into Windows and install? I did that and did 2 full installs and it ran super slow, like unbearably slow.

I tried the guide you referenced and no luck.

Can you please clarify? I am supposed to have a separate EFI for each OS and what if a clover EFI has to be in each?

My goal is to have 2 drives 3 partitions. 1 dedicated OSX on my NVME and Windows on my SSD with a 2nd partition for OSX.

Last edited:
@vulgo When you say "a bug in the installer" which installer are you referring to? Windows? Clover? Another?
Windows installer. Windows 10 is super slow when installed to a hard drive.

@vulgo Thank you for the response. Thats exactly what I am experiencing. When I install Windows direct to the portion, it works but the install is slow and when done, the system is so slow it is unusable.

So how do I fix that? Install with the OSX drive disabled? Is it really as simple as that? Do I need to put clover in the Windows EFI partition?

@vulgo Thank you for the response. Thats exactly what I am experiencing. When I install Windows direct to the portion, it works but the install is slow and when done, the system is so slow it is unusable.

So how do I fix that?
Is the 2TB drive an SSD?

There's no need to move Clover to a different drive, install it where it makes sense to you. I don't know why Windows is slow, maybe the task manager can show what is consuming system resources?

I checked and it was clean. What kills me is that my parallels instal runs so fast it's ridiculous. Unfortunately I need direct hardware access which it blocks.

I really need some clarity here: Do I just partition my drive, disconnect the OSX drive, then install as I would on a new windows machine? No boot from clover or any other special process?

How does windows deal with the OSX bios settings?

I am having a heck of a time installing Windows 10. I have an OSX dedicated drive and want to partition my 2 TB drive for windows and OSX to use as storage. I followed the guide and created 2 partitions on the 2 TB SSD, booted into win 10 setup on usb, deleted the windows partition, recreated it, formatted it. I get the following partitions on the drive:

Name: Total Size Free space Type
Drive 0 Partition 1: EFI 200.0 MB 196.0 MB System
Drive 0 Partition 2: Recovery 499.0 MB 482.0 MB Recovery
Drive 0 Partition 3: 100.0 MB 95.0 MB System
Drive 0 Partition 4: 100.0 MB 16.0 MB MSR (Reserved)
Drive 0 Partition 5: 465.2 GB 465.2 GB Primary

When I proceed to install I get the following error:

"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files"

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to re-configure something in bios?
Try this: (best to have only the 2 TB drive connected - that way there is no possibility of error in selecting the drive)
  • boot Windows installer USB
  • at first screen press Shift+F10 to get command prompt
  • type: diskpart
  • type: list disk
  • type: select disk \\disk number from list disk\\
  • type: clean \\this will wipe the drive so make sure to backup anything you want to keep\\
  • type: convert gpt
  • type: create partition efi size=200
  • type: format fs=fat32 label="EFI"
  • type: exit
  • type: exit

then select the unallocated part of the drive and click continue. The installer should create the other partitions it needs and install.

I think I have finally find the solution to many of the issues on the failing Windows installs: it's not enough to create a Rufus Windows 10 UEFI USB flash drive, you need to make the UEFI partition an EFI System partition, like this:

diskpart
select disk x
select part x
set id=c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b override
detail part

Last edited:
Back