Contribute
Register

Guide: MultiBooting UEFI

I doubt it would make too much difference as long as you install on GUID and install the UEFI version of Grub.
What method are you using to install Mate? Downloading the Mate installer from https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/. or downloading a minimum Ubuntu mini-ISO and then installing the Mate Desktop and supporting files?
Mate Installer would be easier IMHO.

Hey works a treat on my HP Prebook 4530s in UEFI :) This is the first time I've managed to dual boot macOS with Linux.

Screenshot at 2017-07-29 00-33-20.png

screenshot0.png

screenshot1.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 00.36.07.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 00.36.34.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 00.36.55.png

Hi - I've followed this guide twice but for some reason windows 10 insists on installing as legacy BIOS. Does anyone know how to force it to use EFI? Thanks

Hi - I've followed this guide twice but for some reason windows 10 insists on installing as legacy BIOS. Does anyone know how to force it to use EFI? Thanks
Set your BIOS to boot UEFI only, not UEFI or Legacy.

You'll need to make your Windows 10 USB installer differently. I use Rufus and these settings. Works every time.

Screen Shot 3.jpg

If you format the USB NTFS and use MBR scheme for BIOS/UEFI computers, you won't have success installing Win 10 for UEFI booting.

Last edited:
It tells me that:

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS. [Obviously but no option to reformat my HFS+ partition as NTFS...]
Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition is of an unrecognised type.

So I was forced to delete it and create an NTFS partition from the free space using the installer which presumably messed me up.

Hello @Going Bald

I followed your guide and it was perfect...
during days and days I was able to use Mac OS X and Win 10 on the same Nvme

but today without modifying anything I tried to start windows 10 (as usual) and find the 0xC000025 error
As I have an USB Mac OS X install with EFI with Microsoft folder (copy of the EFI of the Nvme), on the time that i didn't have any problems of error (and which was fully working, I tried to boot on it many time to access to WIN 10 w/o any problems)
but this time: still have same error :(

Maybe you know a way to repair this kind of error without touching the 2 installations (Mac OS X.12.6 and Windows 10)?
by managing the EFI partition as it is a problem of BSD if I understood well

My rig is pretty tricky (see signature), and don't want to start again an install of everything + programs as now it is very stable on the 2 OS

wish that you have a solution to it ;)

@GDS
Did you disconnect/remove any drives that were connected when you installed Windows? If yes, reconnect and see if the system will boot. Windows installer may have put your boot files on a different drive from your system drive. If no, proceed to:
Boot with the Install Media and select repair disk, then select advanced and then Startup Repair. If this fails, follow the BCD repair guide to manually repair the boot sector. If this fails, try booting with the installation media again and select refresh option - this will re-install Win10 without touching your files.
If all of this fails, re-install from scratch after backing up your files.

Back