Contribute
Register

Guide: MultiBooting UEFI

Win10 installer USB, if properly made, has both Legacy and UEFI installerson it and it will show uip in your boot devices as USB Win10 installer and UEFI USB Win10 installer.
You boot with function hotkey that allows you to select a boot device and select the UEFI USB Win10 installer.

To create W10 and Ubuntu bootable USBs (I use RUFUS on Windows 10), which of these options for "Partition scheme and target system type" should I select?
  • MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI-CSM
  • MBR partition scheme for UEFI
  • GPT partition scheme for UEFI
Great guide btw, thank you!

Last edited:
To create W10 and Ubuntu bootable USBs (I use RUFUS on Windows 10), which of these options for "Partition scheme and target system type" should I select?
  • MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI-CSM
  • MBR partition scheme for UEFI
  • GPT partition scheme for UEFI
Great guide btw, thank you!
GPT partition scheme for UEFI for Windows. I used the Universal USB Installer app for the Ubuntu, but you probably need MBR for UEFI for Ubuntu since it does not install on GPT.

I have the following error when trying to mount the EFI drive to rename the bootloader

EFI Mounter error: "Apple event handler failed" options are EDIT or OK. Neither result in EFI partition access.

This is right after restart of good windows install. I know if I don't do this step, I will have two bootloaders and things probably won't work.

What to do?

Hi, i have Sierra installed and it work perfectly on my i3 4370/gigabyte h81n with uefi.

If i want to add a second os such as w10 in the same disk (SSD Samsung 250gb) can y help me with the steps?

with the 1st post my system worked perfectly with dual boot w10 and sierra (uefi for the same) .. but i had some problems with audio efi etc, so after a reinstall of sierra and multibeast i haven't reinstall w10 ... but can i now only add w10?
thank y

Hi, i have Sierra installed and it work perfectly on my i3 4370/gigabyte h81n with uefi.

If i want to add a second os such as w10 in the same disk (SSD Samsung 250gb) can y help me with the steps?

with the 1st post my system worked perfectly with dual boot w10 and sierra (uefi for the same) .. but i had some problems with audio efi etc, so after a reinstall of sierra and multibeast i haven't reinstall w10 ... but can i now only add w10?
thank y
See MultiBooting same drive guide

Hello,

first of all thanks for this great guide. I've now read the complete thread but couldn't find a suitable solution for my case.

My current setup
I have a fully working Hackintosh with macOS 10.12.2 and Windows 10 installation running on my PC. In Clover I'm able to dual boot (UEFI mode) to those systems. They are installed on the same disk and I want to add Ubuntu also on the same disk. Here the current disk setup (diskutil list):

diskutil list.png

This is my mounted EFI partition:

EFI_Partition.png

Tree (2 levels)

├── APPLE
│ └── EXTENSIONS
├── BOOT
├── CLOVER
│ └── ACPI
│ └── doc
│ └── drivers32UEFI
│ └── drivers64UEFI
│ └── kexts
│ └── misc
│ └── OEM
│ └── ROM
│ └── themes
│ └── tools
├── Microsoft
│ └── Boot
│ └── Recovery

Questions
  1. Can I just follow the steps from the #2 and 3# post except the part with running MulitBeast? Or do I need to rerun it?
  2. When I install with the selection "Install Ubuntu alongside Windows Boot Manager" can I change the size of the Ubuntu partition afterwards? As it was already planned to install a linux on this machine, I already put the size of the windows partition higher than needed (around 400 GB -> see first schreenshot). Will the installer take space from this windows partition?
  3. Can I use the same method with other linux distros? For example elementary OS (loki)?
  4. When creating the USB Stick with the linux distro I need to use "GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer" with Rufus?
Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Johannes

Hello,

first of all thanks for this great guide. I've now read the complete thread but couldn't find a suitable solution for my case.

My current setup
I have a fully working Hackintosh with macOS 10.12.2 and Windows 10 installation running on my PC. In Clover I'm able to dual boot (UEFI mode) to those systems. They are installed on the same disk and I want to add Ubuntu also on the same disk. Here the current disk setup (diskutil list):

View attachment 229775

Can I just follow the steps from the #2 and 3# post except the part with running MulitBeast? Or do I need to rerun it?
  1. When I install with the selection "Install Ubuntu alongside Windows Boot Manager" can I change the size of the Ubuntu partition afterwards? As it was already planned to install a linux on this machine, I already put the size of the windows partition higher than needed (around 400 GB -> see first schreenshot). Will the installer take space from this windows partition?
  2. Can I use the same method with other linux distros? For example elementary OS (loki)?
  3. When creating the USB Stick with the linux distro I need to use "GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer" with Rufus?
Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Johannes
1. It should not be necessary to run MultiBeast again unless the Linux installer overwrites the MBR of the drive.
Given your drive layout, boot Windows, open My Computer, right click on the C drive in the left pane, select properties, Type a name in the blank box at the upper right - I used Win10 for mine.
Open the Windows disk management tool, select the Windows basic data partition (#5), click Action->All Tasks->Shrink Volume and shrink the Windows partition, leaving as much free space as you want to dedicate to Linux. Shut down, boot the Linux installer and install Linux.
2. Whether you can use the Install alongside Windows option depends on if the Linux Distro you want to install includes that option. If it does not, manually set up your partitions and make sure to select the EFI partition to install Grub EFI boot loader.
3. Yes, if you are installing UEFI booting.

When I want to install win 10, I delete the partition and then create partition,it warns windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of type GPT partition style. what to do now?
If you have any other drives other than the one you want to boot from disconnect them and follow guides. This applies to installing on a separate drive to.

Back