Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
Shrink your APFS container by the amount you want to dedicate to Win10. Create a partition in that space format FAT with Mac disk utility. At the Win10 install screen select this partition and delete it. Select this free space, click on create new partition and format NTFS. Install Win10 to this partition.

I can't get any of the above methods to work. I tried it on a new drive using the command line commands (albeit it didn't recognise some of the syntax so I had to lose specifying the file system in the create primary partition line, and I had to lose the format and label properties when creating the EFI drive but otherwise it all worked). However, when it came to actually installing windows on the newly formatted primary partition, I got the error message from the Win 10 installer that it was a GPT partition. I have tried installing Windows 10 on the Samsung 960 Evo that I used to have Windows installed on (but inadvisably wiped lol) and now I just can't get it to work. I also tried my Samsung 850 Evo and that didn't work either. I tried either installing into unallocated space or a correctly created set of partitions created by the win installer itself, using either my licence key, or without a licence key, and none has worked. I tried using the install DVD as well as a USB installer (created by Microsoft's exe), and neither were successful. There doesn't seem to be any difference in performance between the DVD and USB, if I create a DVD from the genuine Windows 10 iso. When it comes to actually booting up the installer, I've tried with and without CSM Support enabled, no difference in the end failure to install Windows. It also seems the BIOS doesn't boot up the UEFI part of the installer DVD unless I set the installer at boot order no.1 in the BIOS, if I just select the DVD and save and exit it doesn't load it up. I can start the DVD from Clover but not the USB installer, that has to be done from the BIOS boot order. The only thing left to try I think is to give up on UEFI and try formatting a dedicated drive to MBR and trying to install Win 10 on that.

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
@PliSsK
...I got the error message from the Win 10 installer that it was a GPT partition...
Make sure you boot the USB installer with the UEFI in the label of the USB drive when you select a boot device. This will allow installing UEFI mode on a GPT formatted drive.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
Make sure you boot the USB installer with the UEFI in the label of the USB drive when you select a boot device. This will allow installing UEFI mode on a GPT formatted drive.
Solved. I needed to disconnect all other drives in the computer except for the target drive. I had been starting up the installer from the UEFI boot option in BIOS so it was definitely in UEFI mode, but depending on how I did it, I got a variety of error messages, ranging from not being able to find the NTFS primary partition I'd highlighted, to the EFI partition claiming to be formatted incorrectly as NTFS not FAT32 (not true), complaining about the target partition being GPT and/or 'windows installation has had an unexpected error...error code 0xC0000005' which is a hardware error code for bad RAM or target drive. I tried formatting a drive as MBR but it still would not install. The BIOS was and is behaving inconsistently so I rolled it back to F5e which was the version I used when I installed Win 10 two years ago and it didn't make that much difference. I believe the installer was getting confused by the presence of the EFI folder on a second APFS formatted M.2 drive (which had no OS on it). Removing that drive allowed me to install Windows on either the same drive or on a dedicated drive. I had been confident about leaving the other drive in place as I had my Clover folder backed up to a USB stick in case Windows meddled with all the EFI partitions, but evidently that wasn't the issue with leaving other drives in place.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS Zenbook UX310UA~OpenCore
CPU
i7-7500U
Graphics
HD 620, 3200x1800
I have working triple boot Win10 / ElementaryOS 5.1.2 / MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 using latest Clover in UEFI mode. All OSes are UEFI installations. Win, Linux and shared exFat partition on one SSD, mac on another. Both SSD's have EFI partitions, Clover is alone on mac ssd, where I copied it from my installation USB. The other has Apple, boot, Microsoft and Ubuntu folders. I didn't set these up, assume clover created them, or their respective installers, not sure how/why the Apple folder ended up on the other ssd's efi - but hey it all works, let sleeping dogs lie etc!

Anyways, been trying to find how I can boot the Ubuntu based Elementary directly from Clover, rather than Clover booting Grub, grub booting Elementary - Can live with it, but seems it should be possible. Do not want to copy linux kernel to EFI partition, breaking updates etc. My questions:

1) Is this actually possible?
2) Can anyone point me to a guide, relevant infos, or
3) describe a solution here?

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• config.plist
    14 KB · Views: 65

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have working triple boot Win10 / ElementaryOS 5.1.2 / MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 using latest Clover in UEFI mode. All OSes are UEFI installations. Win, Linux and shared exFat partition on one SSD, mac on another. Both SSD's have EFI partitions, Clover is alone on mac ssd, where I copied it from my installation USB. The other has Apple, boot, Microsoft and Ubuntu folders. I didn't set these up, assume clover created them, or their respective installers, not sure how/why the Apple folder ended up on the other ssd's efi - but hey it all works, let sleeping dogs lie etc!

Anyways, been trying to find how I can boot the Ubuntu based Elementary directly from Clover, rather than Clover booting Grub, grub booting Elementary - Can live with it, but seems it should be possible. Do not want to copy linux kernel to EFI partition, breaking updates etc. My questions:

1) Is this actually possible?
2) Can anyone point me to a guide, relevant infos, or
3) describe a solution here?

Thanks in advance...
Yes it is possible. You can create entries into the Clover Scan section and boot the EFI stub - you need to remove Grub if you use this method.
See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/efistub-load-linux-with-clover.200300/

Motherboard
CPU
i7-7500U
Graphics
HD 620, 3200x1800
Thanks. Had seen that guide - and the comments saying it's possible directly with Custom entry, but they never show up. Log always shows Custom boot CUSTOM_BOOT_DISABLED (0x0), but I cannot see anywhere in my config.plist where this is set. Is there a flag/key for this?

Attachments

• config.plist
    14 KB · Views: 64

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Thanks. Had seen that guide - and the comments saying it's possible directly with Custom entry, but they never show up. Log always shows Custom boot CUSTOM_BOOT_DISABLED (0x0), but I cannot see anywhere in my config.plist where this is set. Is there a flag/key for this?
Follow directions in post #1 of the link I posted. It tells you how.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-7500U
Graphics
HD 620, 3200x1800
Turns out the solution WITHOUT copying kernel to EFI etc was simply to copy the VBoxExt4.efi driver from drivers/off to /drivers/UEFI - which with GUI/Scan/Linux=true enabled in config.plist made the kernel show up in Clover boot screen. I then disabled the scan/linux true and used a custom entry, purely so I could specify the EoS icon I wanted. Basically the problem is Clover being unable to read/scan ext4 partition without the right fs driver in /drivers/UEFI.

Sod's law, but it actually boots slightly slower than through Grub!

Motherboard
Lonovo m93p
CPU
i5-4570T/Q87
Graphics
HD 4600
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi all !

I am under Windows 10 with my tiny m93p and I would like to make a dual boot. with this method I will not lose windows 10.
So when I turn on will I be on dual boot?
I'm a little scared because I never install MacOs.

I already split the 280 GB ssd hard drive.
so I leave for MacOs Catalina 60go (just to test after I will increase)

Attachments

• InkedAnnotation 2020-03-07 135327_LI.jpg
    InkedAnnotation 2020-03-07 135327_LI.jpg
    622.4 KB · Views: 107
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix z370-e
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok so working Hackintosh, have been on 10.13.4 for about 2 years no with no problems. Working wifi, bluetooth, handoff, usb 3.0.

I installed Windows 10 on a fresh SSD last night and got Windows working fine.

However, I noticed a few things wrong now on the Mac side, USB 3.0 seems to be broken (devices aren't getting power) and my fans are now louder and max out (before they were following my BIOS settings, which I had tweaked). I looked at my config.plist and everything seems the same, I still have USBInjectAll.kext and I have my kext patches entered correctly. It just seems like the new install is somehow messing with my settings/kexts.

I took a deeper dive and noticed that the Microsoft EFI file got written to the same EFI partition that my OSX one is on. I didn't realize that it would have written to the same drive. I created an EFI partition on the Windows SSD thinking I could move the Microsoft folder onto it, and it created as a "healthy EFI" partition of 200MB on the drive but I can't mount it no matter how many guides I follow (through clover, EFI Mounter V3.1 or through windows command line). I'm not even sure if that will solve it but I've pretty much hit a wall here.

The windows EFI shows up as partition 3 on the windows side, so I'm thinking it needs to be the first partition somehow; but I'm not sure how to do that. Again, I'm not sure if this even will work; but my thought process was to get the Microsoft EFI separated and to restore my Hackintosh with Time Machine. Let me know if any of this is making sense.

EDIT: I think I got USB 3.0 working again, without any devices giving me the no power issue. I had to unplug and replug every device in a specific order before I got it to work. I'm not sure if that's due to the specific power draw of the different devices, but I never had any such issue in the past.

At this point just wondering if the Windows EFI being on the Mac OSX boot drive makes any difference.

Last edited: