Contribute
Register

Guide: MultiBooting UEFI

thank you a lot @Going Bald
i will try, I disconnected everything excluding the the Nvme where Mac OS X and windows are
I followed step by step the guide to make dual boot on same Nvme it was perfect during weeks until yesterday after a reboot this error appears :(

i will try to find "repair disk" on the medium WIN install
hope I will not have to install from scratch :(

let see

thank you, I will let you know if I have any news (if it can help others) ;)

thank you a lot @Going Bald
i will try, I disconnected everything excluding the the Nvme where Mac OS X and windows are
I followed step by step the guide to make dual boot on same Nvme it was perfect during weeks until yesterday after a reboot this error appears :(

i will try to find "repair disk" on the medium WIN install
hope I will not have to install from scratch :(

let see

thank you, I will let you know if I have any news (if it can help others) ;)
Repair option is listed on bottom left of the first installation screen when you boot the install media. Second screen has several options listed - advanced is one of them. Then the next screen also has several options.

Adding Ubuntu is a matter of shutting down Windows, removing the Win10 USB installer, inserting the Ubuntu installer and booting it. When you get to the Grub2 screen, select the first option to try Ubuntu and hit enter or let it time out and boot.
At the desktop check your access to the internet. Hopefully it works. Double click on Install Ubuntu icon on the desktop, select a language and, if your network is working and fast, click to select the update and install 3rd party drivers, click continue. Next screen, select Install Ubuntu alongside Windows Boot Manager. This ensures the Ubuntu boot files are added to the UEFI partition in an Ubuntu Folder, just like the Windows folder. Click Install Now.
View attachment 202438
Ubuntu installer will create your swap and Root for you - click Continue:
View attachment 202439
And install Ubuntu.
HI @Going Bald I followed this guide and ran into a couple issues I am hoping you can comment on.

1. I only installed Windows and OSX, so I did not do the Ubuntu install. I was able to install both OS's, but now the Clover UEFI is not an option to set in my BIO and the computer just boots to Windows. The Windows boot loader is the only option. I tried running Multibeast to correct this, but still have this issue. I am able to boot to OSX(installed on SSD) when the USB stick is installed and I select Clover UEFI as the first boot.

FYI, have a single SSD split partition. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

HI @Going Bald I followed this guide and ran into a couple issues I am hoping you can comment on.

1. I only installed Windows and OSX, so I did not do the Ubuntu install. I was able to install both OS's, but now the Clover UEFI is not an option to set in my BIO and the computer just boots to Windows. The Windows boot loader is the only option. I tried running Multibeast to correct this, but still have this issue. I am able to boot to OSX(installed on SSD) when the USB stick is installed and I select Clover UEFI as the first boot.

FYI, have a single SSD split partition. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
First, boot Windows, run msinfo32 and confirm Windows installed UEFI mode.
Shut down, boot Mac OS, mount EFI partition, confirm presence of Windows folder in the EFI folder.
Install Clover again.

what up everyone,what up GB?first off thank you for putting this guide together and for taking the time to answer all the questions.This is awesome!thanks a bunch!Then I would like to apologize in advance for my poor English and for asking questions that are probably to stupid to be in this blog.sorry in advance about that..also ..sorry if this has been discussed already in the forum and I missed it..

I'm trying to install El Capitan,Windows 10,ubuntu 16,04 on a 2014 mac mini..I made it to install all these 3 bad boys and installed all the required updates etc on each one of them,by following this awesome guide that GB did.Everything went super smooth.. until I got to the point where I have to change the BIOS of the computer to make my mac os the first drive in the boot order.I can't get to a "BIOS window" like the one in the picture in this guide..all I see,if I hold down the option (FN) key on startup,is the usual window I see when I boot up this mac and hold down the opt key,then when I plug the "USB" with mac os and all the clover stuff that I installed earlier,as it says in the guide,and click on the UEFI partition,I see the Clover (I guess)window and all the drives listed,not in the right order though..I can't boot on any of the os's ,except Ubuntu..if I power up the mac..when I see the first list of partition ( the one that I usually use on my mac to select a system) I can only see the mac os, its recovery partition and a windows partition..I can't see the Ubuntu partition though(or maybe I see the Ubuntu drive and I dont see the windows drive?they're both called windows right?anyways I can only see one windows partition if I hold down option and power up the mac without the mac os/Clover USB plugged..if I plug the USB,and select the UEFI partition on the right,I can see all the partitions in Clover..I can run Ubuntu I can boot it up just powering up the computer without holding down the opt key,it goes straight to Ubuntu..it works perfectly..once its running I can see all the partitions in an Ubuntu App called Disks..I can also see their icons on the dock on the left..I'm pretty sure that the problem is somewhere in the installation of clover that I did ..it probably never really happened ..I saw a video on YT a few days ago,where I could see this guy actually installing all the os's in Clover (manually)while he was on the mac os..in this guide it doesn't say anything about that part.So I ran Multibeast to install clover..problem is I can see the UEFI/Clover option only if the mac/clover USB os is plugged....thanks in advance for your help with this..much appreciated!

@G-man
This guide is for installing/triple booting on PC hardware - not on a "real" Mac. You cannot use Clover on a Mac - you need to use rEFInd or rEFIt or one of the other variations of boot loader instead of Clover. Installing/triplebooting on 2014 MacMini requires different techniques from installing on PC hardware. See the Apple web sites for problems involved in triple-booting a Mac.
https://www.innoq.com/en/blog/triple-booting-a-mac/ is a fairly decent guide that you could try, although I do not like his file sharing app because I have found it corrupts the files more often than not.

@G-man
This guide is for installing/triple booting on PC hardware - not on a "real" Mac. You cannot use Clover on a Mac - you need to use rEFInd or rEFIt or one of the other variations of boot loader instead of Clover. Installing/triplebooting on 2014 MacMini requires different techniques from installing on PC hardware. See the Apple web sites for problems involved in triple-booting a Mac.
https://www.innoq.com/en/blog/triple-booting-a-mac/ is a fairly decent guide that you could try, although I do not like his file sharing app because I have found it corrupts the files more often than not.
GB!hey man thanks so much for responding so soon..thanks!Yeah it didn't feel right from the beginning..But I did manage to make some things work with Clover though...like..Linux worked and Clover did show up in the end (with no USB plugged in)..I'm doing a fresh install of sierra and Win 10 with Bootcamp.."Too soon?"
..I'll check out the the link you posted..thanks again for responding and everything you're doing to help us out!..and.. by the way..I just so happen to have a PC in front of me.hehehe...A very very nice Toshiba..poor thing..hehehe...Cant wait to shoot a clover bootloader with a 150 partitions in this thing..I think i'm gonna F-up 2 computers today..one doesn't do it for me you know..I need to destroy at least two computers a day..:)..one love!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've installed MacOS Sierra, and haven't had any issues with it. It took me a bit to get it to work with my specs, but after I got it installed, it's been running like a champ.

I'm trying to install Windows on a separate partition from my MacOS partition, and I'm getting close, but no cigar.

Method 1:
I created the partition for Windows in MacOS, then booted to my Windows USB (created using the Windows creation tool on a Windows PC) and started going through the installer. I deleted the partition I created for Windows, and selected the unallocated space and clicked next. It then pops up and says that it couldn't go to the next phase, and to restart the installation. I try that, but it says it could find an existing partition or create a new one.

Method 2:
Created the partition and deleted it as above, but then I selected it and clicked "new" and it created all the partitions properly. I then selected the system partition it created, and clicked "next". It went to the installation screen, but it pops up and says "Windows detected that the EFI system partition was formatted as NTFS. Format the EFI system partition as FAT32, and restart the installation."

And I'm out of methods.

Any ideas? I've tried doing the same on another drive, but I get the same result.

Same problem here. I formatted my whole SSD, installed sierra as discribed in this thread, created 100GB OS X partition, booted from win 10 USB stick ( created with rufus, gpt partition scheme for uefi ), deleted the 100GB partition and tried to install windows. After a few seconds I get the same error. "Could not go to the next installation step" or something like this. Is there a possible solution for this problem?

Last edited:
Same problem here. I formatted my whole SSD, installed sierra as discribed in this thread, created 100GB OS X partition, booted from win 10 USB stick ( created with rufus, gpt partition scheme for uefi ), deleted the 100GB partition and tried to install windows. After a few seconds I get the same error. "Could not go to the next installation step" or something like this. Is there a possible solution for this problem?
try click on the free space, click on new, follow prompts.

Back