Contribute
Register

Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

I haven't used diskpart for ages :mrgreen: To create the EFI and primary partitions assuming Windows disk is disk 0, I should enter the following commands in diskpart:

list disk
select disk 0
convert gpt
create partition efi size=300
create partition primary
list volume
select efi volume
format fs=fat32 quick
select primary volume
format fs=ntfs quick
Exit

Correct?
that should work

I had a hackintosh working for 3 or 4 years now, but since my GPU is an GTX 1080TI Nvidia and I can't update from High Sierra, I was thinking about a dual boot to use some new softwares on Windows.

After troubleshooting the "windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation"
I finnaly installed Windows on a separate SSD, and is working fine I guess, but after mounting the MacHD SSD back, the MacOS doesn't boot anymore, it stops after the Apple loads in and stay on a black screen with a loading circle and after a while is just freezes e nothing happens again.

Has anyone had the same problem?

I really don't want to reinstall the hackintosh, it was really painful the first time.

Doesn't seem to be the same problem, my GPU was working fine this morning before the Windows installation

Doesn't seem to be the same problem
It applies to anyone using a Nvidia Maxwell or Pascal (1080, 1070 etc) graphics card.
The certificate has expired for the Nvidia Web drivers and hasn't been renewed.
Without a signed certificate Apple won't allow the drivers to function as they used to.

It applies to anyone using a Nvidia Maxwell or Pascal (1080, 1070 etc) graphics card.
I see...but do you think Windows installation messed with my gpu on my hackintosh?

I see...but do you think Windows installation messed with my gpu on my hackintosh?
Not at all, you had to shut down first to install Windows. When you rebooted or tried to reboot into HS the Apple servers checked for the signed certificate.

Not at all, you had to shut down first to install Windows. When you rebooted or tried to reboot into HS the Apple servers checked for the signed certificate.
So you're saying this problem would happen even if I didn't install Windows?
Because when I booted in the morning everything was working like it should.

So you're saying this problem would happen even if I didn't install Windows?
It's possible that Windows could have written over the HS drive's EFI partition. Try checking that to see if it's intact. If the HS drive was connected when you installed Windows that can happen. Even then you still won't be able to use a 1080 Ti with HS. Without web drivers it's not going to work.

Last edited:
Because when I booted in the morning everything was working like it should.
Everyone I've seen here with a 1060/70/80 has said the exact same thing. "It was working fine for years. Tried to boot into HS today and got a black screen." It's a global hackintosher's lament.

Back