Contribute
Register

Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

I have read through a lot of pages and didn't really see the answer to this question.

Can I have 2 drives:
1. MacOS Catalina (already installed and working) with clover bootloader.
2. Windows 10

Just install Windows 10 by selecting the bios bootloader, select the win 10 usb, install to clean 2nd drive.

Then just use the bios bootloader to select the windows drive when I want it and not even use clover to boot windows?

I had windows already installed in drive 1.
I unplugged and installed Mojave on drive 2.
then followed the suggestions fom @Going Bald to fix my boot partitions and clover.
Although, I can't still make it work to boot automatically into any OS. I need to manually select the OS on the clover menu to boot in.
Using Clover Configurator you can change the default boot volume under "Boot" subsection. see where it says MacOSX in my screenshot change that field to what boot volume you want or "lastbootedvolume and it will boot into whatever you had opened last, also another option is to use your BIOS to select the boot volume if you want windows, IMO it is easier to use the clover boot menu.
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 1.27.21 PM.png

Just install Windows 10 by selecting the bios bootloader, select the win 10 usb, install to clean 2nd drive.
Disconnect the macOS drive first before doing this.

Ok, yes that's what I thought. But then it should work fine using BIOS bootloader? It seems easier to me, although the aesthetic factor definitely wins for Clover. Thank you!

One other question, if that second drive I want to do 2 partitions (one for windows say 250gb, and another 750gb for a "storage" drive that can be used by both the Windows and MacOS drive) what would your recommendation be and if I do it this way, would MacOS still see the Windows drive or do I have to do it through clover for that to happen?

I have read through a lot of pages and didn't really see the answer to this question.

Can I have 2 drives:
1. MacOS Catalina (already installed and working) with clover bootloader.
2. Windows 10

Then just use the bios bootloader to select the windows drive when I want it and not even use clover to boot windows?
Yes you can have MacOS and Windows on separate drives.

1) Unplug all but your Windows Drive
2) Install WINDOWS
3) Unplug Windows Drive
4) Plug in your Macintosh Drive
5) Install Catalina using https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...alina-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.285366/
6) Once Macintosh is up and running, plug in your windows drive.
7) Reboot and enter bios.
8) Select the Macintosh Drive as boot Volume (I have Windows as secondary boot (in case something goes wrong with Mac))
9) Reboot, pick volume you want to boot, enjoy.

Yes you can have MacOS and Windows on separate drives.

1) Unplug all but your Windows Drive
2) Install WINDOWS
3) Unplug Windows Drive
4) Plug in your Macintosh Drive
5) Install Catalina using https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...alina-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.285366/
6) Once Macintosh is up and running, plug in your windows drive.
7) Reboot and enter bios.
8) Select the Macintosh Drive as boot Volume (I have Windows as secondary boot (in case something goes wrong with Mac))
9) Reboot, pick volume you want to boot, enjoy.

Awesome, thanks. That's what I thought but just wanted to confirm before I mess up my already perfect Catalina install!

Hi, can i just clarify with you, If i wanted to install Windows on a already working single boot hack (on osx 10.12.6) are these the correct steps to take;

-Unplug osx drive (leave windows drive connected)
-boot into Macos install setup via the clover USB drive.
-via disc utilitiy, format the 'Windows drive' to GUID/MacOS Extended (Journaled). Reboot.
-Reboot into windows 10 install usb with 'UEFI USB: Win10Installer' (Not 'USB: Win10Installer').
-Select custom install, delete only the 'GUID/MacOS Extended' partition (not the EFI Partition).
-install windows on the free partition (previously the GUID/MacOS Extended partition). Reboot.
-In the BIOS, disable CSM.
-Reconnect osx drive. Done?

I just want to be safe before attempting this as i rely on my Hack for work at the moment.

Hi, can i just clarify with you, If i wanted to install Windows on a already working single boot hack
Windows on it's own drive or on the 12.6 drive ? If Windows on a separate drive you don't need this step.

boot into Macos install setup via the clover USB drive.
-via disc utilitiy, format the 'Windows drive' to GUID/MacOS Extended (Journaled). Reboot.

Windows on it's own drive or on the 12.6 drive ? If Windows on a separate drive you don't need this step.
Ah okay. Yes windows will be on a separate drive. In this case, i wont be needing the Clover/MacOS install USB at all? I can just go ahead and disconnect the Osx drive and just install windows on the the second drive and it will show up in Clover bootloader?

Back