Contribute
Register

Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

This solved all my issues, Gigabyte MB
Correct, assuming you also have a Gigabyte motherboard.

BIOS > BIOS Features > Windows 8 Features : Set this to "Windows8"
BIOS > BIOS Features > CSM Support : Set this to "Never"
BIOS > BIOS Features > Secure Boot : Set this to "Disabled"

Giving credit where it's due, please refer to the following post if needed.

Thanks for following up ammulder :thumbup:

Hi Going Bald,

I was wondering if the different OS (in my case Catalina and Win10) can interfere with each other in cases that are not related to updating any of the two. I had major issues today all of a sudden, after installing Windows to an SSD yesterday and installing a 2TB HDD for storage for windows alongside.

My system wouldn't boot into MacOS today after working flawlessly after the installation yesterday. After trying for half a day it suddenly started to work again, but I really want to know what happened here, so I'm trying all available options. During boot with Verbose mode on, it sometimes got stuck on lines like "apfs_vfsop_unmount:1941: all done. going home." with lines before it saying that it has problems reading specific disks. Could that be a problem with the new hard drives I installed for windows?

Hi Going Bald,

I was wondering if the different OS (in my case Catalina and Win10) can interfere with each other in cases that are not related to updating any of the two. I had major issues today all of a sudden, after installing Windows to an SSD yesterday and installing a 2TB HDD for storage for windows alongside.

My system wouldn't boot into MacOS today after working flawlessly after the installation yesterday. After trying for half a day it suddenly started to work again, but I really want to know what happened here, so I'm trying all available options. During boot with Verbose mode on, it sometimes got stuck on lines like "apfs_vfsop_unmount:1941: all done. going home." with lines before it saying that it has problems reading specific disks. Could that be a problem with the new hard drives I installed for windows?
When you added the drives aftr all installation had been completed did you go into the BIOS/UEFI and reset the BBS Boot order?

When you added the drives aftr all installation had been completed did you go into the BIOS/UEFI and reset the BBS Boot order?

I did, my BSS order is #1 SSD with MacOS #2 SSD with Windows #3 HDD as Storage for Windows

This is just a guess, I'm not even sure it was related to the drives.

Hi, I need help installing Windows in a separate drive. I read the first post but I haven't a full understanding.

I've installed Macos (Mojave) in one drive. Running succesfully.

Then, I built a bootable USB installer with windows 10 with dd terminal command. It works.

When I run the USB installer, a warning of missing media controller is shown.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• warning.jpg
    warning.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 120
does anyone know why Windows puts itself in front of my MacOS drive in the BIOS boot order everytime after I used Windows?

I meant to say a laptop dvd drive.

The ExpressCage MB732SPO-B is in my hands now so I can answer any specific question about it. It takes a laptop drive for sure. In fact both of the standard heights - 9.5 and 12.7 mm. In case of the thinner one the front plastic cover plays the role of a divider/filler for the additional space not filled up by the DVD itself.

I can say that this dock is a very very well thought up product that's worth any penny.

Hi, I need help installing Windows in a separate drive. I read the first post but I haven't a full understanding.

I've installed Macos (Mojave) in one drive. Running succesfully.

Then, I built a bootable USB installer with windows 10 with dd terminal command. It works.

When I run the USB installer, a warning of missing media controller is shown.

Any help appreciated.
i had probably the same issue (cant tell because i cant read your language ;) ). try disconnecting all other hdd´s including the one with mac os on it.

This guide works til this day. Had Mojave already running on my first SSD, went to installing Windows on my second one. Had to remove all other SATA drives from BIOS for the installer to work. No problems with Clover or boot priority.

Some help pls.
I've recently installed Mojave on my oldish PC. I used a fresh SSD and I have it running after a few issues with a PS2 keybaord (all sorted).
I've a separate Win10 SSD I used in that same machine. and a 3rd HDD for storage.
I plugged all the drives and started the PC. Got to the bootloader and I can select and boot MacOS, but can't go into windows. I see 3 NTFS drives (HD1, HD2, HD3). 1 & 3 gives me a blinking cursor. 2 just hangs.
I don't understand the guide on the first post. My windows is already installed and working, it's what I was using previously.
What should I do to enable dual boot?

Back